Wildlife in the Forest of Dean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Hey Folks!
Im new to 'wildlife watching' but being as im only an hour from the forest of dean i plan on getting out there this weekend in my cabbage clothes and sitting still to observe any wildlife.
Im aware there are Boar and Deer in the Forest if Dean and it would be amazing to spot them.
I love the idea of tracking animals but i'm a complete newbie it.
My question is do any of you have any advice or knowledge on some wilder/quieter (less people/trails) areas of the Forest of Dean?
Looking at the map of F.O.D is seems roads cut & disect the woodland everywhere which seems unfortunate.. but thats a different topic :)

Reactions: wookii

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi, I lived near the FOD quite a few years ago (2000s).

Although it is quite disturbed by us humans, the wildlife there is pretty used to us now, which will give you some great opportunities to spot stuff. I recommend heading to banks of the Severn near the Abbey. In the evening and very early morning there are deer in the meadows on the Eastern Bank. Near there is also a place called Lovers Leap, a high rock face that is notorious for erm.... well. But for bird spotting it's great. From the meadow opposite you can spot some wonderful birds dancing on the thermals.

With some considerate parking near the Abbey and a gentle walk for a km or so, I'm sure you'll be set to sit somewhere and spot the nature.

For boar, I recommend going into the forest and looking for their rooting. Areas of the earth that look like they've been dug up by a rotorvator. Here are where the boar have snouted for roots and grubs. It can look a right mess. Crouch down and you'll see the snout marks and other sign they have left behind. If it's still very early, a larger group will leave a certain smell before the sun burns it off. If you do get there very early and the soil is still freshly disturbed, I recommend treading gently with your face into the wind for a few hundred yards..... you may catch them up! But this will take some skill to learn. Boar walk the forest in large territories and in my experience stick to the more shaded, cooler areas of the forest.....

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy and wookii

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Hi, I lived near the FOD quite a few years ago (2000s).

Although it is quite disturbed by us humans, the wildlife there is pretty used to us now, which will give you some great opportunities to spot stuff. I recommend heading to banks of the Severn near the Abbey. In the evening and very early morning there are deer in the meadows on the Eastern Bank. Near there is also a place called Lovers Leap, a high rock face that is notorious for erm.... well. But for bird spotting it's great. From the meadow opposite you can spot some wonderful birds dancing on the thermals.

With some considerate parking near the Abbey and a gentle walk for a km or so, I'm sure you'll be set to sit somewhere and spot the nature.

For boar, I recommend going into the forest and looking for their rooting. Areas of the earth that look like they've been dug up by a rotorvator. Here are where the boar have snouted for roots and grubs. It can look a right mess. Crouch down and you'll see the snout marks and other sign they have left behind. If it's still very early, a larger group will leave a certain smell before the sun burns it off. If you do get there very early and the soil is still freshly disturbed, I recommend treading gently with your face into the wind for a few hundred yards..... you may catch them up! But this will take some skill to learn. Boar walk the forest in large territories and in my experience stick to the more shaded, cooler areas of the forest.....

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Thanks for the words Van-wild! I know where you're talking about in regards to the Abbey as I've rock climbed on that crag 'Shorn Cliff' in years past.
Cheers!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cree elder, David Eagle, told me a long time ago to learn to sit still. DON'T MOVE. Breathe, move your eyes but that's it for 15 minutes. Damn difficult thing to do.
That's how long it takes for the forest to wake up from your intrusion.

Reactions: Paul_Davies

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I usually walk the paths around Cannop and generally see something interesting even though it can be a very busy area. I've only seen boar on two occasions but I see deer almost every time I visit and I've seen foxes a few times and plenty of interesting birds. Stay away from the cycle paths and main rides and explore the quieter footpaths but the wildlife is pretty used to noisy people, and being chased by dogs sadly.

Reactions: Paul_Davies

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I was told today that there was a boar in my local church yard afew nights ago, so there now closing and locking the gate's at 18.00 and yeah I know that wild boar can't pick padlocks lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE