The new (old) safe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not really bushy in the slightest, apart from maybe because it's going to be an ammunition safe. But my aunts father in law was throwing this out and asked me to put it out for the scrap men. Instead it's found its way back home! Had a pig of a time lifting it with my cousins husband (and we're both big lads!) but got it back. Anyone that knows anything about them feel free to weigh in as I know nothing about it at all. Anyone else, well have yourself a chuckle at the thought of me huffing and puffing trying to lift the begger!
d72d7dc1d53b23ac62c76e618a1ff08c.jpg

f4eaeb8925b7b88868389998a4c76f4d.jpg

a2d6c2fc4f1590436ae32467b843f99f.jpg

Key for an aspect of scale of quite how thick the door is! They made this to last I feel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like a good safe with a very simplistic lock (if that is the key to the safe? I suspect thats a basic 3 lever door key rather than the safe?)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looks like a good safe with a very simplistic lock (if that is the key to the safe? I suspect thats a basic 3 lever door key rather than the safe?)
Yeah that's just a door Kay to my coal house the safe key is somewhat more complex
11e1e7e0b6851abffbd4d8879a95fb2d.jpg
. Id wager it would be hard to get in to. Even the lock draw in it is made of heavy gauge seems like it's been an item of some quality. Nigh worthless seemingly but that's not the point with things like that is it :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice stout safe

Get some spares cut and don't do what a mate did and keep them in the safe... :rolleyes:

He wasn't that amused because I laughed my socks off when he told me he'd lost the main set and had been forced to cut the safe open with an angle grinder :lmao:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Nice stout safe

Get some spares cut and don't do what a mate did and keep them in the safe... :rolleyes:

He wasn't that amused because I laughed my socks off when he told me he'd lost the main set and had been forced to cut the safe open with an angle grinder :lmao:

Aye I'll have a set cut and try to keep them outside the safe at all times!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Thats a beautiful looking safe... is that signwriting on the inside original and is it a type 3?

Remember reading about the gentleman's challenges in the mid 19th century for lock picking those safes... an American chap called Hobbs went round picking the locks and earning a good few quid doing it... led to the locksmiths improving their locks.

Sorry... I nerd over locks :eek:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thats a beautiful looking safe... is that signwriting on the inside original and is it a type 3?

Remember reading about the gentleman's challenges in the mid 19th century for lock picking those safes... an American chap called Hobbs went round picking the locks and earning a good few quid doing it... led to the locksmiths improving their locks.

Sorry... I nerd over locks :eek:
The writing is original yes. He isn't the sort of gent to have stuff repaired for for the look of it, it's somewhat surprising he hasn't covered it in gloss years ago! I'm not sure about type 3? How would I check mate?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The writing is original yes. He isn't the sort of gent to have stuff repaired for for the look of it, it's somewhat surprising he hasn't covered it in gloss years ago! I'm not sure about type 3? How would I check mate?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Should be marked either inside the door, or inside the drawer... never seen one signwritten on the inside like that... thats why I asked whether it was original.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Should be marked either inside the door, or inside the drawer... never seen one signwritten on the inside like that... thats why I asked whether it was original.
The only numeric mark I can see is the no1 one on the door. I rang and asked if the signwriting was original. He reckons so, said it was the first time it's been so much as opened since the early 1950s

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The only numeric mark I can see is the no1 one on the door. I rang and asked if the signwriting was original. He reckons so, said it was the first time it's been so much as opened since the early 1950s

Love old signwriting... there is a fella down the road from me that collects enamel signs, has walls of them.

Lock wise, they're pickable... depends on the age of the lock inside to how easy it is. As I say, there was a chap called Hobbs who picked the popular lock designs of the day.... many of the locks were advertised as unpickable and had rewards on them (big rewards as well). Left some very well thought of locksmiths with red faces and they had to redesign all their locks.

You can buy (or make) picking kits... hours of fun having a go at opening something like your safe :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Love old signwriting... there is a fella down the road from me that collects enamel signs, has walls of them.

Lock wise, they're pickable... depends on the age of the lock inside to how easy it is. As I say, there was a chap called Hobbs who picked the popular lock designs of the day.... many of the locks were advertised as unpickable and had rewards on them (big rewards as well). Left some very well thought of locksmiths with red faces and they had to redesign all their locks.

You can buy (or make) picking kits... hours of fun having a go at opening something like your safe :D
I like the look of it I must admit. I've got a set of picks lying around as it goes. Glad I have the original keys too though! Never been much good at it I have to admit short of using a pick gun (obviously not for those locks) but good fun practicing

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I like the look of it I must admit. I've got a set of picks lying around as it goes. Glad I have the original keys too though! Never been much good at it I have to admit short of using a pick gun (obviously not for those locks) but good fun practicing

Had a laugh with my lad last time we stayed in a hotel... it had one of those digital safes, so I told him to set the code to anything he wanted and I would get into the safe in less than 10 seconds. He didn't believe me... locked the safe with the digital code... I whacked it on the top while holding the handle and it was open :D

I get a bit of a buzz from picking locks... have you seen any of the Def Con seminars?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah that's just a door key to my coal house the safe key is somewhat more complex .

It should make a decent sized ammo safe. I would make up some shelves for it to keep things organised. Nothing worse than having to take everything out to get to your calibre of choice

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It should make a decent sized ammo safe. I would make up some shelves for it to keep things organised. Nothing worse than having to take everything out to get to your calibre of choice
I was thinking of that actually. Or something along the lines of wooden dividers. Its actually for the brother in law of he wants it as there's already a floor safe installed in the house. If not I'll stick it on eBay for offers would be nice to see someone use it. That is of course only if I don't end up using it for something else, would house my drill bits lovely and keep my dad's mitts off them!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice stout safe

Aye I'll have a set cut and try to keep them outside the safe at all times!

Further advice would be to put the originals in a safe place and use the new ones you have cut for everyday use. That way you'll always have the originals (the best template) unworn and safe should you need replacements in the future.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Its a beautiful safe and a good haul...if a bit heavy.

From another site about the exact same model "my safe weighs 4CWT, 2Qtr, 1 stone....roughly 518 pounds...(obviously English weight from a catalog)" so yeah there's a bit of weight in it!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Further advice would be to put the originals in a safe place and use the new ones you have cut for everyday use. That way you'll always have the originals (the best template) unworn and safe should you need replacements in the future.
I might do that and keep the originals in the gun cabinet I think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE