The most over engineered can stove???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've got to admit I have a thing for well engineered things and was glued to that video, I just wish he'd explained what he was doing and why :)

I'd hate to think of the over-engineered contraptions I'd be making if I had tools like that to play with :D

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Ah the ISO Fly stove.
I have one of these stoves. Minibull stoves are (IMHO) very good.
They have evolved over time and the ISO Fly was one of his first wick stoves. It suffered under certain curcumstances from the alcohol gettting too hot. So it has a water jacket (hence the double skin).
The newer disigns do not need it.
I have nearly all of his stoves and they all have dif characteristics. The NION range for example can be used for baking and burn (once you understand how to use them) for a long time on one fill.
I like alcohol stoves and do a lot with them. Apart from just boil water.
Tinny once made another ISO stove that used IPA and was like a 'blow lamp' Not for the beginner but a very powerfull stove (stove powerfull it could melt!).
Alan

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I know it boiled water, but it didn't seem to me to burn all that well. I've got simpler ones that seem to work better. But, it is hard to tell what that flame looked like, being shot in the daylight. And a very brief glimpse at that.

One things for sure, he has building them down to an art.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Tinny's one of the coolest people on the web. He is a backpacker and all of his gear is properly field tested, he doesn't sell anything he wouldn't use himself, and he doesn't rip people off.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Tinny is one of the most innovative 'cottage industry' designers and manufacturers making genuinely ultralight, top quality gear.

He is probably one of the most inspirational 'Makers' I've ever seen, he loves to develop ideas into beautifully engineered stoves and accessories, for which he's highly respected.

Tinny is one of the most innovative 'cottage industry' designers and manufacturers making genuinely ultralight, top quality gear.

He is probably one of the most inspirational 'Makers' I've ever seen, he loves to develop ideas into beautifully engineered stoves and accessories, for which he's highly respected.

Agreed - I've bought some of his stuff and it's top notch! I think he's a retired engineer who got into backpacking and found a niche market in quality lightweight gear (by his own admission - he got a bit too old to carry conventional gear). Like the Bushbuddy (another great cottage industry) his stuff is beautifully designed and manufactured - check out his website (google minibulldesigns) where his R & D as well as his overall philosophy is open to all.>

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
Sorry about that...:eek:

I didn't mean it toward's you tytek, cool video and all but I don't know a whole lot of people that have the equipment to do that. And for what it's worth I agree that it's maybe a little over engineered, but if ya got tools like that sittin' in your garage ya better make em spin or the wife will tell ya to get rid of em.:)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
i liked it, nicely shot, although it did look a bit over engineered. Personally if I was going to try to save the eco system by making one, I wouldn't (and didn't) use powertools. The amount of electric used in the making of the burner creating more pollution than necessary. Good vid though, and it was nice to see that someone had taken the time to think logically about burners.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
i liked it, nicely shot, although it did look a bit over engineered. Personally if I was going to try to save the eco system by making one, I wouldn't (and didn't) use powertools. The amount of electric used in the making of the burner creating more pollution than necessary. Good vid though, and it was nice to see that someone had taken the time to think logically about burners.

Tinny designed and built his own wind generator to power his workshop.

He not only took the time to think logically about burners, but also about how to make them, hence the wind generator.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE