The Midges Must Die!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Just back from Loch Chon where i was planning to do a spot of fishing and spend the night swinging in my hammock however it was not to be.
I found a nice wee spot got my rod in the water, just barely keeping my sanity at this early stage, started a fire and covered my face and hands with avons skin so soft moisturiser but not a second passed where i was attacked by the little ****s.The midges were out bloody swarms off them and not a breeze to disperse them, i was hoping for a nice stress free night what i got was exactly the opposite.
I couldn't handle it, that was the worst I've seen them for years now I'm back in my house, itching all over moaning about them, dissapointing to say the least. I hope this isn't a sign of the summer to come, kill them all i say! :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Miserable isn't it ?
I got bitten up there last time and the bites swelled up in moments.

I've gotten eaten every day this week in our own garden. I even had to close the bedroom window 'cos they were coming inside :(
Not looking forward to it getting any worse either as Summer comes in.

Anybody know of a source of no seeum mesh in white ? The normal stuff for windows isn't fine enough to keep the blighters out.

cheers...well, no' really, it's midigies after all :bluThinki

Toddy

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I'm going to buy one of them big calor gas things that sucks them all up into a bag, then i'm going to pick them out one by one and pull there wings off then i'm going to....... ok I'l stop there you get the idea

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Feel for you mate.... I was out waiting for the fox to come last night, and they pounced on me.... I am a real crap sniper... I was cursin an scratchin and trying to keep a steady aim with the gun, but them buggers only had my blood on their brain, and they wanted it....
Then the fox never even showed......Hmmmm :AR15firin

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Got me and mine last night as well... grr :(

I'm going to try this recipe out I think :D

As regards poisonous insects, it may be said that, to the man with clean, bleached, tender skin, they are, at the start, an unendurable torment. No one can enjoy life with a smarting, burning, swollen face, while the attacks on every exposed inch of skin are persistent and constant. I have seen a young man after two days’ exposure to these pests come out of the woods with one eye entirely closed and the brow hanging over it like a clam shell, while face and hands were almost hideous from inflammation and puffiness. The St. Regis and St. Francis Indians, although born and reared in the woods, by no means make light of the black fly.

It took the man who could shoot Phantom Falls to find out, "Its bite is not severe, nor is it ordinarily poisonous. There may be an occasional exception to this rule; but beside the bite of the mosquito, it is comparatively mild and harmless." And again: "Gnats...in my way of thinking, are much worse than the black fly or mosquito." So says Murray. Our observations differ. A thousand mosquitoes and as many gnats can bite me without leaving a mark, or having any effect save the pain of the bite while they are at work. But each bite of the black fly makes a separate and distinct boil, that will not heal and be well in two months.

While fishing for brook trout in July last, I ran into a swarm of them on Moose River, and got badly bitten. I had carelessly left my medicine behind. On the first of October the bites had not ceased to be painful, and it was three months before they disappeared entirely. Frank Forester says, in his Fish and Fishing, page 371, that he has never fished for the red-fleshed trout of Hamilton county, "being deterred therefrom by dread of that curse of the summer angler, the black fly, which is to me especially venomous."

"Adirondack Murray" gives extended directions for beating these little pests by the use of buckskin gloves with chamois gauntlets, Swiss mull, fine muslin, etc. Then he advises a mixture of sweet oil and tar, which is to be applied to face and hands; and he adds that it is easily washed off, leaving the skin soft and smooth as an infant’s; all of which is true. But, more than forty years’ experience in the woods has taught me that the following recipe is infallible anywhere that sancudos, moquims, or our own poisonous insects do most abound.

It was published in Forest and Stream in the summer of 1880, and again in ’83. It has been pretty widely quoted and adopted, and I have never known it to fail: Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two-ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don’t fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on—and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face and hands crocky or smutty about the camp-fire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once, wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks’ tour, and never used either a single time. When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water. When I struck a woodland hotel, I found soap and towels plenty enough. I found the mixture gave one’s face the ruddy tanned look supposed to be indicative of health and hard muscle. A thorough ablution in the public wash basin reduced the color, but left the skin very soft and smooth; in fact, as a lotion for the skin it is excellent. It is a soothing and healing application for poisonous bites already received.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yup, worst I've seen them for a long time too.

Took a holiday so I could have a long weekend at Loch Fyne. Managed thursday and friday but when I woke this morning and they seemed to be getting even worse I just packed up and came home.
That's the first time my hammock net hasn't been able to cope. Had to sleep in a headnet as well last night.

Wish I'd taken the big canoe. The wee one's awfy wee and I spent most of the last couple of days in it avoiding land.
When I got back to the car it was full of the little blighters as well. Must have flown in the air vents.

Worst of it was they just didn't let up, all day and all night they were out.:(

Midgies_1.jpg

Midgies_2.jpg

Interesting recipe Michelle. I presume you have to get the consistancy just right so you can stuff your ears and nostrils full of it yet still be able to apply a light coating on your eyeballs.:)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
:lol: A thin, weak solution would be best for eyeballs I imagine ;)

A search on pennyroyal suggest never drinking it, mind if you did drink it then the mozzies would leave you along after a few hours as all of your blood would be solid :eek:

As soon as I've got some funds, I'll buy some of the oils and try it, I hate the smell of the commercial repellents and I love to make my own stuff if I can :D

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Got me and mine last night as well... grr :(

I'm going to try this recipe out I think :D

I'm sorta going down this road too, search

'Nessmuks insect repeller recipe' as i can't link, we started talking about the possibilities, like everything tho its getting the time to get it all together.

Since then I have got some 'Nordic summer' to try out and also some nikwax insect repeller to try as well.
I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
The Castor oil will be the carrier, I'll have to think about the concentrated drops and just try it out starting with a very weak solution to begin with... here's hoping I don't die :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Oh dear, next month I'm off to spend three weeks backpacking in Scotland without a tent, looks like I'm doomed!!

Hope you make it. You may just end up as one of the many skeletons found in the Scottish Highlands at the end of midge season every year! Picked totally clean. :lmao: :yikes: :(

Alex Roddie

May 23, 2008
Norwich
Hope you make it. You may just end up as one of the many skeletons found in the Scottish Highlands at the end of midge season every year! Picked totally clean. :lmao: :yikes: :(

Haha I wouldn't be surprised! Luckily I will be staying high for most of the time so should be out of the midgies' domain, but I'll have to descend to the valleys every so often to get food ... oh well, hopefully DEET 50 will save me, if it doesn't dissolve my skin that is!! :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I recall Nick Crane, in one of his "Mapmakers" programs on tv talking about some preacher that annoyed the locals so much with his sermonizing that they rowed him out to an island, stripped him and pegged him out for the midges.

There's a thought to make you itch. ;)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Anybody know of a source of no seeum mesh in white ? The normal stuff for windows isn't fine enough to keep the blighters out.

Toddy

I've used black velour to great success for the past couple of years. I have no idea if all velour is roughly the same, but the stuff I've got from my local indoor market works a treat. Available in many colours too, pink, green, blue, black and of course white.

Cheers, Nag.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Start taking garlic capsules now or just eat loads of garlic between now and then.

I've heard people say it helps, but at the very least it'll sort out the connoisseurs from the common midges. :D

How about rubbing some purified garlic on exposed skin - has anyone tried that?

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Start taking garlic capsules now or just eat loads of garlic between now and then.

I've heard people say it helps, but at the very least it'll sort out the connoisseurs from the common midges. :D
I used to live in the Village of Forth right next to a conifer plantation it was midge central I tried the garlic thing not a hope in hell against those mini rottweilers but there were people in the village that were never bitten or only on the odd occasion

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I've used black velour to great success for the past couple of years. I have no idea if all velour is roughly the same, but the stuff I've got from my local indoor market works a treat. Available in many colours too, pink, green, blue, black and of course white.

Cheers, Nag.
Contact DD hammocks and ask what size mesh they are using on their hammocks they may even sell you some of the material

I was once told that eating marmite helps due to a chemical which the body then produces through the skin - ? Vit. D ?

I believe you need to eat it for a period before you go and then continue whilst away.

I've tried it and not found myself eaten as much as others - but maybe I'm not that tasty !!

Similarly, I also use Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar soap (available from Woodlore - no links etc) when I'm in the woods and believe that it is also reputed to be a deterent - it has a funny smell, although you don't notice it yourself once washed off - I've actual grown to like it although SWMBO hasn't (more than one benefit after all). :twak: :soapbox:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE