The Mertz Machine. My 1960's GMC camper conversion.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
So, I found this whilst driving back from Scuba diving one day and knocked on the owners door to ask if they wanted to part with it. Luckily they did for the sum of just $50! (£20 or so). Following a weeks wait to get it on a tow truck, it was in my driveway and awaiting some attention! This next pic is of it moving up on to the truck ready for the drive home. First time it had moved in over 20 years!
IMG_1382.jpg
This is the inside as it was left for over 20 years. The cooker works, as does the VW petrol night heater. However, the bed is very small and suspended from the roof so I ripped it out, along with all the other camper conversion goodies as the wood was rotten after a sunlight had been left open!
BEFORE:
SDC11746.jpg
And AFTER:
GEDC0008.jpg
It looks a mess but the cooker, toilet, shower, seats etc... have been saved and 'stacked neatly' ;) ready for the rebuid. It also gave a good chance to inspect the body work and lay down some insulation in the process.

The next step was to strip away all the old flaking paint ready for a layer of primer and an eventual drab green or possibly brown colour to finish it. This stage took two weeks of working 7-10 hours a day stripping all the paint by hand. This is a time rich, money poor operation:eek:.
IMG_1393.jpg

...and work in progress on the other side...
GEDC0018.jpg

This is the most amazing speedo I've ever seen, i hope to be able to rig it up with the new drivetrain
GEDC0007.jpg

Evidence of a former life:
IMG_1389.jpg

Throwing out the old 5.7L small block motor. I don't fancy paying fuel for this monster. I'm planning on a diesel engine...
IMG_1413.jpg

How it stands today. It's been stripped down, now just needs building up. A motor and gear box will literally bolt in, but I may need to get a custom driveshaft to make it work. I have all the camper insides like the toilet, cooker etc... all ready to be built into new cabinets. Just need to save some cash to get it off the ground.
GEDC0086.jpg

Not sure how 'bushy' this is, although this will have 4WD and be used to journey around the bush/used as a base camp.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That is bloody awesome mate!!! Cant wait to see more!!
Its my dream to rebuild a camper, I would prefere a Veedub but beggars cant be choosers lol!!

Atb
Steve

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thank you all for the compliments :)

You've no doubt worked out, this van is in Canada and I am in the UK. I hope to be able to go back there and finish it off this time next year after I graduate and have saved up enough to begin placing in a new drivetrain. Until then its being kept safley underwraps at a relatives place in Ontario. I've not really investigated the import costs and procedures to bring it to the uk but this will all happen in time.

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
he was looking at converting a bus, and keeping it on his land when hes on the rigs, using it for fulltime living eventually he wants to live offgrid

greenshoots

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
MertzMan what model is that, thinking of getting one got a nice retro look to it

found it GMC stepvan

greenshoots

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
$T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5t8IBRwzPIc0Jw~~48_35.JPG
So a small update here, my Farther and the van are in Canada and he has found a donor vehicle for engine, gearbox, and wheels etc...
This bus has a 5.9L diesel engine that runs plus all the air brake goodies and some wheels to fit the bus. Going to haul this back next week and see what happens from there. I'm hoping to get out there after graduation and finish it up.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
5.9l?! Are you SURE you want to be filling that beast in the UK?!!

It's a super looking vehicle, glad you've put the thread up so we can watch you progressing it :) It's always good to know theres plenty around somewhere for spares availability.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
5.9L... I'm banking on its not what you drive but how you drive it!

We crunched some numbers about the revs, gearing and various diffs, figure that it should make around 22MPG. However, thats not accounting for aero resistance, rolling resistance and so forth so I guess a little less than that in practice. It's realistically only going to be driven once or twice a year of up to 300 miles a time so economy is nice but not essential. The donor bus runs and drives as is but at 30ft long and well over 7.5ton its a non starter. The GMC is half the lengh and under 2ton so my car licence will be fine as I understand.

Thanks for the comments Turbogirl.

Andy BB, the donor bus is already converted but has a frame thats rusted to hell so it's good for parts only. Even so, need the style step van style!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE