The Lynx effect / stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've made two of these now, had to give one away mind you, performance wise they are brilliant but I am a little concerned with stability when there's a pot on top, I don't fancy the idea of screwing pieces of metal to the burner as it will take up more room in the bag or possibly tear something. Does anyone have any ideas of how to make it a little safer against tipping ?

You could always try putting the stove into a cat food can and then pack loft insulation between the two, this would give a slightly wider base and by pouring in a very small amount of meths you have a pre-heater ?

Hi Andy,

I cracked this problem by using 3 x 4" screws, They weigh next to nothing and are adjustable depending on what you cook on. you can knock them into wood with a stone or baton, push them into the ground by hand or better still with the cooking pan, which will allow you to get the perfect height to the top of the stove. Try it, it works a treat. I cook on mine with a 10" cast iron pan with no problems.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Tinny from minibull designs discusses problems he had with similar stoves (BIOS series I think) re sealing at the top. He found that, as his burners were made on a press, the top was completely smooth, and as a result the stoves were over-pressuring when a flat pan placed on top. .Result was that liquid meths blown out of the side holes and all sorts of flare-ups. Secondary problem was that a pan of cold water drew too much heat out of the burner, which then died. He had two solutions.

For the overpressure, he drilled two small holes on the inside of the burner near the lid - any overpressure just vented back into the can. He wasn't happy with that, and instead nipped 4 small indents on the lip of the burner - this created an airgap to vent/stop over-pressure, and secondly cut down the contact area with the pot, resulting in no "cold-kill".

Apologies to Tinny if I've got that completely wrong - however you can check it out on his youtube channel - minibulldesigns I think - and search for BIOS stoves.

Sep 29, 2011
South Glos
I've made a few of these now, for myself and friends, for stability I just dig a small hole in the ground and push the stove into the soil, this helps a lot with wind resistance as well and the help of a shield. They tend to perform a little better once they have self annealed with use and I have even used it for cooking sausages and bacon, not just a brew :)

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
I've seen the little stove made out of the lynx tin.. I've made the same thing but out of a baked bean type tin.. I've drilled the jet holes in the top exactly the same but was just wondering whether it would work the same before I go out and buy meths

Any help on this would be good guys, cheers

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I've seen the little stove made out of the lynx tin.. I've made the same thing but out of a baked bean type tin.. I've drilled the jet holes in the top exactly the same but was just wondering whether it would work the same before I go out and buy meths

The lynx stove in this thread is double walled with jets only in the outer wall. this creates a semi pressurised stove. I cant see how a baked bean tin would vary in shape enough to make a double wall stove but thats not to say single wall stoves dont work just fine. Have you got a picture

As BT said above the lynx stove has, by the nature of the can, a dual wall which allows the meths vapours to blow out of the jets under pressure. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I use a 10" cast iron pan on mine and the flames still lick up the sides. a baked bean tin with a slightly smaller tight fitting tin inside would possibly work but you would have to use a bin lid sized pan to get the best out of it. Make one out of a lynx tin to see what I mean.

Good luck.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Also I have experimented with a golden syrup tin and a sweetcorn tin to make a woodgas stove but never got round to it in the end.
The golden syrup tin has a lid that pops out which leaves a rim which creates the dual wall design.

I've made a few Wood Gas Stoves now (and Alcohol Stoves), it's really addictive. The Wood Gas is a really good one to do if you don't want to carry fuels with you and you know you'll have a reasonable supply of dry wood. The lack of fuel to carry more than offsets the size of the stove. They do soot up your kit though.

Ed

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
I'm gonna get sum spirits in the morning and try a single walled one first.. I was just fooling around really and just drilled a few holes.. If it doesn't work its jus straight bk to the drawing bored.. But could just use it if the flame comes out the top

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE