The Lynx effect / stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
OK, here it is:

2010-03-07130208Small.jpg

You keep the bottle still, and rotate the stove whilst giving it some slight pressure. Keep it rotating evenly, and take your time, and you get a nice flared edge.

Cheers,
Glyn.

Hi - did you flare the stove with the inner and outer halves together or just the outer half?

Thanks, Paul

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Just made my first one, first as there needs to be others as it is far from perfect so any suggestions welcomed. Problems encountered

1. I cut the can a per the OP but the top half looked taller than the bottom - so I cut more off to match heights, but when inserted it still stuck out. Should the 2 halves meet perfectly at the top and the bottom?

2. I drilled the 1.5mm holes at the level I thought they would need to be at the top of the cavity - they were much lower than required as the top half protruded by about 6mm. Fixing point 1 will help.

3. I tried the stove and it burnt well boiling a cup (from my swiss army volcano stove) of cold water relatively quickly (didnt time it but about 3-4 mins). However, when I lifted the cup off the stove, the underside was alight with meths - any idea why this may have happened?

4. The flames from the side holes seemed to get weaker with the cup on top - any ideas?

I want to make another and would welcome any suggestions to fix the above.

Thanks, Paul

pwb

Problems encountered
1. I cut the can a per the OP but the top half looked taller than the bottom - so I cut more off to match heights, but when inserted it still stuck out. Should the 2 halves meet perfectly at the top and the bottom?

2. I drilled the 1.5mm holes at the level I thought they would need to be at the top of the cavity - they were much lower than required as the top half protruded by about 6mm. Fixing point 1 will help.

3. I tried the stove and it burnt well boiling a cup (from my swiss army volcano stove) of cold water relatively quickly (didnt time it but about 3-4 mins). However, when I lifted the cup off the stove, the underside was alight with meths - any idea why this may have happened?

4. The flames from the side holes seemed to get weaker with the cup on top - any ideas?

Hi Paul,

The wee stove is proving a bit temperamental for me too :(.

To answer your questions the best I can...
The two halves, as you said , have an overlap off about a quarter of an inch or so. I just cut off the surplus to level the top before marking the jet holes.

Some times I've had meths continue to burn for a short while on the pots bottom, no idea as to the cause though but never had the jets loose pressure with a pot being put on :dunno:.

I really think that the narrowness of the double wall is maybe making the stove a bit too finicky.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Point 3 is completely normal.

Think about what would happen if the stove was filled with hot water and you put a cup on it. You'd get condensation on the bottom of the cup. This is just meths condensation, and as you lift it off, it catches fire.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Hi Paul,

The wee stove is proving a bit temperamental for me too :(.

To answer your questions the best I can...
The two halves, as you said , have an overlap off about a quarter of an inch or so. I just cut off the surplus to level the top before marking the jet holes.

Some times I've had meths continue to burn for a short while on the pots bottom, no idea as to the cause though but never had the jets loose pressure with a pot being put on :dunno:.

I really think that the narrowness of the double wall is maybe making the stove a bit too finicky.

Thanks for your comments - will cut the excess off - didnt put too much meths in and it burnt out shortly afterwards so the pressure loss may well have actually been the end of the burn.

I may try another with a different shaped can - I can see that my whole shopping experience at Morrisons is about to change!

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Point 3 is completely normal.

Think about what would happen if the stove was filled with hot water and you put a cup on it. You'd get condensation on the bottom of the cup. This is just meths condensation, and as you lift it off, it catches fire.

Thanks - was a little concerned to start with but clearly not an issue - Cheers Paul

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I made one too and took it to malta for a week making perhaps 30 cups of coffee with it. I enjoyed the challange of getting the wind sheild to work on the beach. what supprised me the most was the different types of burn time due to temp of surface I stood the stove on. next time I will also glue some cork to bottem of stove to insulate it from what it is standing on...
my 2cents worth :)
David

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Should be OK, the original 'Whitebox' is/was of similar construction.
The whole stove is aluminium and is loads thicker than the cat stoves I've made in the past , never had one of them melt... yet :D.

Pete.

Pete when you insert the other half of the can inside and it touches the bottom ..how much meths does it take or is there any indication where to fill it to ?

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
you could try measuring out one fluid ounce of water .....put it in the stove on something level and marking the height of the water .........empty the water out and then fill it to that mark with meths and see if it will boil one pint of water for future reference, you may have to add more or less meths

pwb

Pete when you insert the other half of the can inside and it touches the bottom ..how much meths does it take or is there any indication where to fill it to ?

Hi Knightfisher,
I originally used 50ml but that was over kill really .I would think 40 ml would suffice and that is roughly the first band from the bottom of the stove as you look into it, on mine anyway. May vary depending on how you cut up the can but should be around the same mark.
Best thing to do is to measure out , lets say 40ml and see how that works then as Andy T says mark the level if your happy with the stoves performance.
Experimenting is half the fun of DIY Alcohol stoves :D.
Let us know how it works out :).

Last edited:

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
thanks for the reply , i have enjoyed this thread and hope to try it myself :)

I wasnt sure if you could put too much into it and it might not end up burning correctly out the holes if the meth level was too high .

many thanks

knightfisher

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
could I just ask another newbie question ....

Is there a reason why you cant only use 1 half of the can [ bottom ] , Im unsure why the top has to be inserted then filed ect ???

knightfisher

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
andy does this happen even if you fill it up past the space between the 2 cans ? cheers

Not sure if this will help explain ....

alco.jpg

The stove will work as long as you don't fill it over the height of the jets. It's usually a case of adding one or two ounces of fuel until you find a level that works best.

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
Here is my attempt at the Lynx Burner, bloody cold in the shed, glad of a heat!!! got a brew up soon as i was finished!!

2010-12-07%2020.02.16.jpg

2010-12-07%2020.03.11.jpg

2010-12-07%2020.03.56.jpg

and i made a wee pre heater
2010-12-07%2020.27.22.jpg

2010-12-07%2020.30.57.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE