The "lumbersexual"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes indeed I am. I cut down healthy tress regularly. I log them up and heat my home with them and I cook with them having seasoned them. I remove them because they are weed trees (e.g. elder which self seeds all over), sycamore, blackthorn suckers etc. In their place I plant important conservation species (True Service trees, hornbeam, Wild service, etc.).

I'm sure less biodiversity, less important habitats and more pollution from using commercial energy suit some but that doesn't suit me.

It may be "incredible" to you, but to me, being a steward of the land, means managing the land, improving it, working with it and gaining what I need (including fuel) from it - in a sustainable way.

How do you heat your home?
Hear, hear. My sentiments on land management exactly.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Accidentally being in 'fashion' has its drawbacks. I must admit I can relate to this meme of late:

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes indeed I am. I cut down healthy tress regularly. I log them up and heat my home with them and I cook with them having seasoned them. I remove them because they are weed trees (e.g. elder which self seeds all over), sycamore, blackthorn suckers etc. In their place I plant important conservation species (True Service trees, hornbeam, Wild service, etc.).

I'm sure less biodiversity, less important habitats and more pollution from using commercial energy suit some but that doesn't suit me.

It may be "incredible" to you, but to me, being a steward of the land, means managing the land, improving it, working with it and gaining what I need (including fuel) from it - in a sustainable way.

This is the way ahead :)
And it allows me to use my axe while wearing my rough wool shirt, my beard flowing in the breeze and the setting sun glinting off the razor edge on my GB SFA....

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
This is the way ahead :)
And it allows me to use my axe while wearing my rough wool shirt, my beard flowing in the breeze and the setting sun glinting off the razor edge on my GB SFA....

Choose a popular hipster-crowded spot for lovingly sharpening the edge of said axe. Report afterwards of the reaction of the puplic.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I could get smacked down here as we have some "intriguing" facial hair fashion in this community but young blokes with hair greased to perfection and Duck Commander beards cracks me up.

In years to come people will look back on their ancestors with a huge "***!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
This is great news! My wife will be pleased! Her very fashionable husband! Mind you I don't buy my clothes to be fashionable just practical. Does this mean I don't have to change from work when I go out now?
0bc28b4b07087d59c2940072b5baf1a6.jpg

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District

Where's the like button when you need one!

I could get smacked down here as we have some "intriguing" facial hair fashion in this community but young blokes with hair greased to perfection and Duck Commander beards cracks me up.

I had to google duck commander. I took my son to have his hair cut in a barber's in Southport. It was a hipster joint with lots of men having their big manly beards trimmed to perfection. Put my scraggly effort to shame but kinda defeated the object of having a beard in the first place, i.e. lazy facial insulation.
Was in the market for a new wool checked shirt but this thread has put me right off now ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I took my son to have his hair cut in a barber's in Southport. It was a hipster joint with lots of men having their big manly beards trimmed to perfection. Put my scraggly effort to shame but kinda defeated the object of having a beard in the first place, i.e. lazy facial insulation.

My wife likes my beard to be neatened once every few months. So I sit in the barn, she breaks out the clippers and tidies it up. Its still long but she evicts a few birds and its has less straggly outliers.

Its fair play I suppose - I cut her hair (with a laser level to make sure its accurate)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
This is great news! My wife will be pleased! Her very fashionable husband! Mind you I don't buy my clothes to be fashionable just practical. Does this mean I don't have to change from work when I go out now?
0bc28b4b07087d59c2940072b5baf1a6.jpg

Real men dont wash. Sweat, mixed with the skin´s natural oils, makes waterproof and keeps warm. :)
Real men also do shave, but in a manly way, with a straight razor. :)

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
[video=youtube;5zey8567bcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg[/video]

This video needs to be in this thread!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I think it's fine, great look, better than back-wards facing baseball caps and so.
I have little problem with young'uns fashion statements, as a youth in the 70's and 80's I had a few 'looks' myself!
Some fine beards out there, I commend them!

da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE