The League of Pipe smokers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I dont smoke, apart from one camp 3 of us shared a huge cuban cigar, Tom a guy with us had just got back from Afghan, he'd been given the. Cigar over there from a American soldier, have to say as we sat round the fire in a derilict old fishermans hut on a remote beach drinking beer and vodka, and smoking the cigar i quite enjoyed it, twas 5 yrs ago and not smoked anything since though.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I dont smoke, apart from one camp 3 of us shared a huge cuban cigar, Tom a guy with us had just got back from Afghan, he'd been given the. Cigar over there from a American soldier, have to say as we sat round the fire in a derilict old fishermans hut on a remote beach drinking beer and vodka, and smoking the cigar i quite enjoyed it, twas 5 yrs ago and not smoked anything since though.

Pipe smoking takes a little practice and getting used to, unlike cigars.

The main thing newcomers to pipe smoking have trouble with is getting a sensitive tongue. Smoking too fast can sting your tongue a little and just be unpleasant, but once you figure out your pace to smoke at and how to properly fill your bowl with something you enjoy, it's a real pleasure.

If you're interested I can swap a pipe or two with you ( I don't need them all) , some tobacco and a few bits and bobs you may need to go with them. As a general rule, 1 or 2 pipes, a pipe tamper tool and a some pipe cleaners is all you need. And some good baccy of course. :D

Above ^ I have a vintage English made briar bulldog pipe (third in from the right), a vintage Ronson pipe with two changable bowls (very end right with metal stem) and the middle vintage corncob pipe in the middle of the cobs, this one can fit a standard pipe filter if you wanted to use them.

Or buy a new corncob pipe by 'Missouri Meerchaum' for less than a tenner and enjoy a perfect smoke each time! They are the mora knife of the pipe world, infamously fine smoking but lacking anything fancy or lavish, just honest and worth every penny.

Blends to try that you can buy in the super market are. Mellow virginia - sweet caramel hay smell, smokes great. Condor ready rubbed and longcut - longcut is my fave' so distinctly floral and fruity is amazing. And St Bruno - a classic one that's mild and slightly floral and spicy.

Go into a tobacconist and you'll be blown away by the ammount of different blends on offer so if you are gona try it, just buy a smaller pouch of the above blends from the supermarket. No need to go in head first. :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I appreciate your advice and offer, i was just interested though, no way id actually start up, 1 i have a rare neuralgic condition at the back of my throat and under my tongue, which im pretty sure any smoking would defo not help.2 my wife hates anything even smoke related and has told me from day one , you smoke i leave. My post above re cigar was from before i had the throat issue, ive always just imagined that if i reached old age i could stand at my garden gate pipe in hand and as kids went by playing ball etc i could point at them with the stem? Turn to the wife and say bl**dy kids. Alas not to be.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I do the pointing with stem and im only 34.......

A good stem point while muttering your distate for the world is a big part of pipe smoking. I've been a pointer for years and I'm only 27! Come with the territory though, embrace the sense of superiority.

Sadly my wife also hates the 'smoking' hobby of mine. I'm like "but it's an elegant pipe with the finest tobacco, not a manky cig!" alas, it is to no avail and I quietly sip my smoke and contemplate why those around me must point out my flaws. (pointing without a pipe is just childish!) :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I quite like Warrior Plug. Do you know if this too will be discontinued Sam? It's made by Orlik as well as Mick Mcquaid. Best get a couple in if that's the case! Is it a result of Orlik not selling enough to be a viable product or some sort of new law coming into effect?

I quite like Warrior Plug. Do you know if this too will be discontinued Sam? It's made by Orlik as well as Mick Mcquaid. Best get a couple in if that's the case! Is it a result of Orlik not selling enough to be a viable product or some sort of new law coming into effect?

Not enough sales in UK i believe Chad.
There's mixed info about Warrior plug and if its gonna be discontinued or not but Mick Mcquaid is definately being stopped.
Stockpile is best advise really. Besides if you leave it unopened it'll age well anyways and make an interesting smoke.
I recently got sent some 1990's St.Bruno and the 20yrs maturing time made it an absolutely sublime smoke

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
ropp_zpsdjumshbf.jpg

A ROPP pipe. I think theure french and about 100years old?

i just like to smoke whatever catches me fancy when i go in to purchase. Theres a small tobacconist in Chester near the cross. ive always wanted to try something from tewksbury tobacco but they dont ship outside of america.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Bought my first pipe over 50 years ago, when I was an apprentice, a straight Falcon and Condor tobacco (the Power of Advertising)
Been puffing away ever since I still buy Condor but mainly smoke Balkan mixes as I like the Latakia tobacco smokey taste (dried over pine fires)
Pipes_zpsiwxxo5lr.jpg~original

p01_zpsgzoyxnut.jpg~original

p02_zpsrsk9sbxo.jpg~original

p03_zpsoyoxpa2o.jpg~original

p04_zps6k9rbedj.jpg~original

p05_zpsuf79bdo9.jpg~original

p06_zpsqvr8n5os.jpg~original

p07_zpsup8w8fsn.jpg~original

p08_zpsr1t8pmwe.jpg~original

p09_zps1jotzyzy.jpg~original

10_zpsikj6jths.jpg~original

11_zpsbdex0ztx.jpg~original

12_zpsmyor62sn.jpg~original

13_zpsljcxfalk.jpg~original

14_zps96pxmdkr.jpg~original

15_zpsxk9gsggn.jpg~original

16_zpslat7uc3g.jpg~original

Smoke%20On%20Ted_zpsqaeia7jo.jpg~original

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since the kids came along I now just buy a few ounces when we are on holiday, I've enough health issues as is I'm told. Gaworths Exclusiv Black Cherry if I can get it. I never smoked inside at home and only elsewhere inside if I was at another pipe smokers, sitting outside in the sun or around a fire is when I'm happiest having a quiet smoke. Herself is a non smoker, somewhat rabid about cigarettes and cigars but perversely nice to me about the pipes. Much to my plesant suprise she came back from a trip to Liverpool with a ounce or two of my favourite baccy, this was the day they diagnosed me with a throat/ chest infection and I'm still on antibiotics. So for once I have the means but not the ibility I could just do with a smoke as well!

I used to to collect Briers but when I gave up smoking regularly I gave away all the non churchwarden sized ones and a few pipe racks, didn't think I'd need them again. 18 years later I've crept back into pipe smoking and regret not hanging onto them. Ah well. Most were used to destruction but one I retrieved as the guy who had it didn't like it, a Maltese yachtsman pipe, like a fat cigar with a aluminium cap on the end. Unfortunately it went straight through the washer when I got home and is not the same despite plenty of TLC. It was very good in the rain, better than smoking with bowl pointing down, which is doable but not worth the burn holes in your clothes in my experience.

i've picked up the odd normal sized pipe from carboots and have a big box (3) of clays acquired when cheap , made one from a burl Mary sent me and a Amber stem got for £1.85 or about that. Trip before last herself bought me one of those pre drilled blocks of wood with a stem fitted to carve your own. They make a fuss of her and saw her coming so she always buys me something when she passes them. Me being the househusband it's a variation on the ancient bringing back a pretty ribbon for your sweethearts hair concept I reckon. Works for me.

Well that was a ramble!

atb

Tom

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great pics and info/history all round. Cheers Sam for the info and Samon for starting the thread.

Much as I love a bowl it's generally just when I'm out in the woods or at the WMC hanging out with the old boys that smoke pipes. An occasional one is had when I visit a mate accompanied with Woods Navy Rum or Port chasers with nice ales. Probably average a bowl or two a month at best.

Unlike most of my hobbies I haven't gone over the top acquiring paraphernalia, I have one silver banded bulldog meerschaum with an amber stem from 1902, one corn cob, a Peterson's Dublin bowl Canadian style, an old rustic Stanwell, a nose warmer and two churchwardens, one of which I made myself. That's one for each day of the week if I ever get serious about it lolz. Would love to make some more and keep them for myself but just can't find the time. I prefer wooden matches to light them and tampers I've made out of shell casings or turned on a lathe. Have only bought two of the above pipes from new as I prefer to find old estate pipes and restore them. I'm still after a nice poker to complete my collection, if anyone has one they'd like to trade or sell let me know please! Stay smokey gents...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My battle station by the back door. Gotta smoke at night though right by it with all the others doors shut as not to wake the wife..

Some pouches I made to carry my pipes, baccy and cleaners etc.

Hemp wick, rolled hemp plant fibers that are coated in bees wax. Use it like a match to light your pipe. I figured it was sowrth a try, still have a few rolls of it in my cabinet.

Can't beat a cob for the price!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Some new tins in the mail today.

One being this Samuel Gawith Cabbie's mixture rolls. A Strong virginia and perique mix, perique not being something I'd normally choose but for the sake trying something new an all that.

And some of my old favourite, Condor longcut/flake.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Just been reading the thread & catching up on the forum (a long time since I've been on the board, life interfering with things unfortunately).

I'm still smoking the pipe, and have expanded the collection. Tobacco of choice is a Century Buttered Rum/Maduro mix.

The Collection is now:

Pipes_zpsvjeya8oj.jpg

Main smokers are the bottom 2 (Dr Plumb Dinky (right), Blackjack Shape 20 (left) from Morgan Pipes & the Morgans Briar Cigar (above the Blackjack) Tombear, this does the job of your Maltese yachtsman pipe for me, I mainly smoke while walking the dog & in the Southern Uplands that means smoking in the rain a lot :D.'m
I'm really impressed with Morgan Pipes, from the USA, the cigar pipe is great & the Shape 20 is so well balanced it's a great hands free pipe. I was lucky enough to win the top 2 pipes in a giveaway by him, but I'll probably Ebay them as I'm not the biggest straight pipe fan.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Very handsome collection! where did you get the Morgan briar cigar?? I did a bit of research a while back but prices were nuts and only from america..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE