For the smokers amongst us...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all, i know this can be a bit of a non-pc subject for some so i just want to say now i am not advising, recommending or otherwise condoning/suggesting people should smoke however for those of us who do we generally do so fully aware of the associated risks.

Right disclaimer over my question is -

For those of us who do smoke what is everyones preference when out and about whether at meet up, overnighters or just a bimble in the woods?

As a cigarette smoker (mainly) i always have a pouch of tobacco with me when out and about so i can have the odd roll up however as i would do so whether i was in the woods, at home or at work i try to take a couple of good cigars to share out with my usual cronies.

Since seeing some pipe smoking apparel in the classifieds here a little while ago i had a little rummage and dug out a nice briar pipe i bought a few years ago as more of a 5 minute wonder than anything else and have now rediscovered the joy of pipe tobacco.

Im not sure what it is but sitting out in the wild with a small fire maybe after a meal of cremated sausage, stew or bannock i do enjoy both the taste and smell or a good cigar or tobacco, along with a good tipple.
It smells great mingling with wood smoke and in summer it helps keep at least some of the midges at bay.

So come on whats everyones preference if you do partake and, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on smoking etiquette in buhcraft?
By that i mean personally i will never smoke in someone elses home (with few exceptions even with permission) however when i am out on a bushcraft trip i will smoke like a chimney though will try my best to be downwind of anyone and will retire a respactible distance from non smokers or any else if they so wish.

Just curious about other peoples views on this.

Hamster

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yep,i like a smoke too.
i try not to have too many at home or in the wood.

Mainly cigs but the odd cigar is nice,(nice cubans that Cutchy had at last meet btw).
I have a pipe that is used very occasionally.

Don't smoke in the house anymore as my grandson lives with us.
At a meet i will move if the smoke is annoying anyone but it isn't usually a problem.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Used to be a 30 a day man and had to knock it on the head a few years ago.
Nowwww,, when the missus aint looking "aka in the woods" i love a smoke, mainly cutters choice and can go like a chimeny after a few drinks.

All good but the rule is i dont smoke when i get home. May have the odd one when i have had too many but will never go back to smoking all day. too expensive if nawt else.

Dont see a problem with it in company outdoors providing its not getting in anyones face that is.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I smoke but not in the house and avoid others. Also dont like butts thrown on the floor, carried out or thrown in the fire once out.

No pipes or cigars for me, Lambert and Butler fresh burst or profile for me (The newest brought out i think) or Regal.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I sort of quit in November last year but my bushcrafting buddies wouldn't know that as I always buy 25g of Amber leaf for a single overnighter. It seems to go with the half bottle of Brandy that I take!

I have never smoked in sight of my children for the last 12 years but the know the old man was a smoker by the way mum would nag when I had "nipped out to the garage for something."
When outdoor I apply the normal sociably acceptable rules of smoking down-wind or a good few feet away from non smokers but I wouldn't not smoke because of them.

He're a little something for those non smokers too.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ySCcnoo3c

:)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I'm a smoker, I usually smoke out the back of my house but if it's heavy rain etc I will smoke in the kitchen with the door open.

At a meet and generally when having a drink I smoke like a chimney but I think good etiquette is of the greatest importance. By this I mean that I will generally sit with other smokers and try and blow my smoke away from everyone, this includes being downwind etc. One thing I really try to do is not smoke near people who are eating, I personally don't mind it but I'm not everyone.

I generally smoke cigarettes unless money is tight then I will smoke roll ups, don't mind roll ups for general and in the woods but they're a hassle in the pub as I can never be bothered to roll more than about 5 :lmao:

I did buy a pipe and have to say that I quite like it, it's a nice smooth smoke and very relaxing. I also really enjoy shisha pipes (aka hookah) you can have some really nice flavours flowing through one of them, my personal favourite is cola flavour tobacco with Pepsi in the bowl and lots of crushed ice, very hard to beat :D

As far as cigars go, I can't stand them, I always forget not to inhale and they just make me feel rough, almost hungover, especially the next day. I am neither for or against the smell of them when others are smoking them, they are okay I guess but not for me.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
All I'll say is that I used to smoke and as the saying goes..nothing worse than an ex smoker.the girlfriend has stopped hopefully.hope so as be nice for her see her future grandchildren.unfortunately as long as I'm up wind of a smoker especially when eating.I go to pubs more as I don't have to strip off at the washing machine after a night out.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I sort of quit in November last year but my bushcrafting buddies wouldn't know that as I always buy 25g of Amber leaf for a single overnighter. It seems to go with the half bottle of Brandy that I take!

I have never smoked in sight of my children for the last 12 years but the know the old man was a smoker by the way mum would nag when I had "nipped out to the garage for something."
When outdoor I apply the normal sociably acceptable rules of smoking down-wind or a good few feet away from non smokers but I wouldn't not smoke because of them.

He're a little something for those non smokers too.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ySCcnoo3c

:)

Pmsl despite my non-pc disclaimer I love bill hicks and think he has the right idea though I do try to be a bit more considerate of non smokers.
That said, and no offence to those who have or are giving up, but... No one likes a quitter! :) just kidding I blame the video!

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I smoke a pipe, the odd rolly and I have a stash of cubans for special occasions because they have a fantastic taste but they're just so damn expensive! I smoke a pipe quite regularly, perhaps 3-4 times a month (regularly for an 18 year old at least lol) and I love it, some great flavours with certain tobaccos, Macbaren Vanilla cream would be my current favourite and on top of that, its much much cheaper than cigars which would set me back the best part of a tenner for each one, which is why I stocked up in duty-free in switzerland lol! As for rollies, I would smoke them very rarely because I'm conscious of the effects on my health, unless I'm drinking which is when any regard for health goes out the window in which case I get through them at a fair rate. In all instances I would only ever smoke with other people, me and my mate (rmbriar on here) usually smoke the pipes together so regard for smoke direction etc. is non existent lol.
Great to hear everyones thoughts on this and a great thread
cheers

paddy

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Used to smoke the rollies for many years but moved over to the pipe about 10 years ago.It worked.Now I have a relaxing smoke when I want,or not.Obviously the tobacco addition is still there but I can go for a few days without and rarely get bothered by it.
The pipe is more of a relaxing ritual rather than an all consuming habit.
Enough of that ,I'm off to light up :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE