the jolly green boys beach meet continued

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
don't know what happened to some of the pics so here is some more
2d0cjds.jpg

a rare picture of me
2duk0uq.jpg

breakfast
n66vbd.jpg

callen and richard in the canoe
2nrhhfq.jpg

rock sanphir
33ng303.jpg

the jollygreen boys me alistair steve richard ivan paul

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi Dave

Looks like a lot of fun , I miss the coast now I live over here

I could be wrong here mate but that plant does not look like rock samphire to me http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/S-Flowers/Samphire,%20Rock.php

It looks like it may be fennel http://www.survival.org.au/bf_foeniculum_vulgare.php but am not 100% sure

Please correct me if I am wrong

I think you are right; its not Samphire; which was there because I tasted it; Creosote taste to me
Is it Chamomile ? I think our resident foraging enthusiast Ivan checked with the Green man and he id it as such
There were a lot of beach edibles around The Big Lebowski would have had a field day.
Nobody has mentioned the mysterious disappearance from the sea of any kind of fish; for the period we were there anyway

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Now come on Steve, we both met "a very nice man" who told us where the fish were hiding, just so happens it was nowhere near where we were fishing!

I think I may just add a few of my own here............be right back.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales

Dave working on North-South relations

Dave got bored of him!

A lovely day indeed.

'Nuff said!

There's summat fishy about the tea!

We eat like lords as usual.

A newcomer joins the merry band. Callen was on walk-about but had the misfortune of falling into our trap. Resistance is futile. He did manage to escape eventually by boat when the others were taking their afternoon nap. Giant floating bouncy balls chased us across the water but he made it out alive.

The Green man at work.

Anyone care to guess what these are?

Leftovers?

Skate relaxing.

Ivan in his new beach bushcrafting outfit.

Young love eh? This was one of the few ocasions they left their tent. :censored:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Great pics lads well done , brought fond memories flooding back ! On the wild foraging thing , it all tasted horrible , apart from that green stuff i gathered from the cliff and smothered the leg of lamb with (tasted like ear wax crossed with ronseal) or was that the garlic and rosemary ?

A jolly good time was had by all , the company first off was as usual second to none , i understood everything Steve said! I was most helpful when it came to the long trek back to the vehicles for various bits and pieces , where the guys just tossed me their car keys to get stuff, i now have a very comprehensive kit to choose from , see members classifieds for some of the stuff i don't think i will ever use.

The catering was magic , the lamb was cooked to perfection, if i may say so myself, special mention for Richies chicken curry , until early the next morning ! when a short walk down to the shoreline was needed , and my bum went down for a drink !

Thanks guys for making another memorable meet , slightly marred by the phantom tyre stabber (investigations continuing) He definately gets it , an interesting evening with paracord and him being a guinea pig taster for my wild plant and fungi id me thinks ! And my legendary cordless 500 holes in the guttering/garage roof trick.

Ivan...

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Nice pictures lads - it took great patience on the part of the cameraman to capture shots of an Ivan venturing out his lair! :) Surely you both took more pics than we see here?

Twas an excellent few days. Marred by the weather the first day, but that's to be expected, and the tyre incident at the end, which definately was not expected. Pity there were so many drop-outs - you were all missed.

The mystery plant that I initially suggested could be chamomile still remains a mystery. It's not samphire, which was also there, Dave just muddled them up. I'm not surprised that Salad suggested fennel, the leaves were very fennel-like but the flowers were daisies, about the size of ox-eye daisies. The plant was at the bottom of the cliff and was growing about 1 - 2 feet tall. I've trawled the Internet and my books but can't get a positive ID - somebody must know what they are?

The glow worms were quite a novelty.

Sorry Steve, in the confusion I forgot to say bye - so 'Bye, see ye next taeme'.

Has anybody noticed if Callen has shown up on the forum yet?

GM

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
No sign of Callen yet, I guess he's still recovering my the crushed glass infused KY.

It took several hours before thate very nice man got me on the road (can't believe modern cars DON'T have a spare!).
A big thanks to Dave the Butcher for hanging around for hours on end as a plan B.

After failing to get the tyre sorted we travelled a few miles to RV with another very nice man who had the kit needed to plug me.
To add insult to injury, this nice man was a keen fisherman and new every nook and cranny of Wonwell Beach and where to find the bass and went on to show us the photos of his bass from the day before!

I WON'T BE RENEWING MY MEMBERSHIP!

Anyway, I do have more pics and will sort them out soon. I'm off up norf now to meet up with the green man on his own territory.
He has prepared a delicious banquet of tripe and onions for me! (He'd better be joking).

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i will put some more pics up as well this weekend great pics guys nice one of me sleeping whoever took it regards dave

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Bloomin buggr. I missed a great weekend you guys had a lot of fun I remember that beach being very wet the last time we went there. If you need help catching the tyre slasher I have some very inventive ways of torture lol
have it on VERY good authority that whenever next meet is I will be there as SWMBO owes Ne big time
all the best guys and catch up with you all very soon. Unless someone has a meet coming along from 1 st August as have some time off and I'm itching
see you all soon
ruck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE