The 'I've found a bargain' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Yes, Sofirn are my favourite torch company, too. They offer the best value for money, imo. I recently upgraded my Sp40 to an Hs20. The high cri flood on the Hs20 is soo nice for reading at night.
I’ve got the HS20, it is good for reading. My only gripe is, the headband is a tad too tight, although to be fair, my head is a size 61 or 62. I like the colour profile as well, it’s quite warm and easy on the eyes.

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I’ve got the HS20, it is good for reading. My only gripe is, the headband is a tad too tight, although to be fair, my head is a size 61 or 62. I like the colour profile as well, it’s quite warm and easy on the eyes.
You could buy some elasticated fabric and make it bigger?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
The link price didnt last long, but it was £16.47 for the lanterns. To be honest, I rate Wurkkos over Sofirn. They consistently provide better build quality and better leds and drivers, Sofirn have only just tweaked the IF24 with a buck driver and a decent UI. I thought the IF23 did just about everything wrong, too big, confusing UI. The IF24 addressed the size by using an 18650 battery, the UI by using a rotary switch, and added a bit of fun to the RGB side light modes. It lives magneted onto the fridge in the camper where it gets a fair bit of use.

This picture also gets a fair bit of use ;)

View attachment 89451
Interesting you didnt like the 23

ive got loads of 18650 batteries hanging around from dead laptops so i can see 18650 use is usefull, i like the 5000 capacity of the laregr batteries tho in the 23, had 500 before in an otr flashlight aand it was just too small....

youtube is full of olite reviews, i wonder if its mostly shilling, good so many sofirn fans here....

heres an indepth comparison of IF23 vs 24

Reactions: Nice65

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
It looks liek IF24 doesnt have flashing red, or powerbank mode, has some extra rgb modes

what would be awesome is to have infra red and also UV leds in addition to red,
id rather have red, blue green ratehr than a gradual fade...

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The massive leap in capacity between 18650 and 21700 is very appealing, and what gives the 21700 enough power to act as a powerbank. Powerbank charging from a torch isn’t something I’d ever do though, I’d prefer to carry something separate. I’ve got a couple of lights that use 21700, a Wurkkos TS30 throw nutter is one that is suited to it.

To me, and it’s just my usage, 18650 in a multifunction torch/worklight is just about right. I never run an 18650 right down and reckon it’s an easier size to carry.

There is flashing red on the IF24, there’s flashing every colour, the fun factor of the RGB lights is much improved. And you can set the rotary switch rather than lots of tippy tapping the side switch and then having the thing come on in turbo :D

Oh yeah, Olight. Yes, they’re very pushy with their advertising and give away lots of lights for reviews. The torches are pretty good but expensive for what they are, and you’re buying into a brand that often has proprietary batteries, built in batteries, or a unique charging system. You won’t find much love for Olight amongst enthusiasts.

Reactions: Garnett and Billy-o

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
The massive leap in capacity between 18650 and 21700 is very appealing, and what gives the 21700 enough power to act as a powerbank. Powerbank charging from a torch isn’t something I’d ever do though, I’d prefer to carry something separate. I’ve got a couple of lights that use 21700, a Wurkkos TS30 throw nutter is one that is suited to it.

To me, and it’s just my usage, 18650 in a multifunction torch/worklight is just about right. I never run an 18650 right down and reckon it’s an easier size to carry.

There is flashing red on the IF24, there’s flashing every colour, the fun factor of the RGB lights is much improved. And you can set the rotary switch rather than lots of tippy tapping the side switch and then having the thing come on in turbo :D

Oh yeah, Olight. Yes, they’re very pushy with their advertising and give away lots of lights for reviews. The torches are pretty good but expensive for what they are, and you’re buying into a brand that often has proprietary batteries, built in batteries, or a unique charging system. You won’t find much love for Olight amongst enthusiasts.

both of them having cob sidelights make them perfect worklights, i carry my if23 every day for work, which is why i like the powerbank feature, 1 less item to carry on my belt....

the flowchart of fucntions for IF24 didnt mention flashing red....the other new flashing modes of the rgb on the 24 seem very gimmicky....and the 24 doesnt do both headlight and cob combined....

there was a bavarian youtuber who had dozens of olites over the zears, and the vast majority had already failed, it seems olite send them out for review, people use them briefly and shill them on youtube and then they die.....bit like maglites, all my maglites fell apart after not much use, the sofirns do seem much better build quality than maglite....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Last edited:
Reactions: Garnett

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
View attachment 89673

£9.37 74% Off | Sofirn HS10 USB C Rechargeable Mini 16340 Headlamp 1100lm LH351D 90CRI Angle Flashlight TIR Optics with Magnet Tail 2 Groups

On board charging, takes a CR123A if need be.
I now realise you've somehow trained me to a Pavlovian dog type response.

You post a Sofirn link < Bell tinkles !! >

I autofill the details and hit the ' Buy Now ' button.

I'm not complaining , its nice having someone doing my impulse shopping for me. :)

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset

I'm not complaining , its nice having someone doing my impulse shopping for me. :)
i quite agree, anything sofirn is quality
im trying to not have sveeral of everything, but I was looking at this one a while back

ive somehow ended up with several of the aliexpress keychain lights, the one ive got has screwdriver, coil lighter and whistle for something like £4

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Sofirn do an excellent little steel bodied keychain light, I’ve had various other makes, all anodised aluminium, and within 6 months they all looked battered and scratched. My steel Sofirn on the other hand, after a couple of years, still looks new, plus it’s a very powerful little thing!
Couldn’t resist this HS10, I like the angled torches/headlamps. I’ve just added up how many Sofirn torches, headlamps and lanterns I have- in conflicting feelings of dismayed/happy/satisfied/embarrassed, this one will bring the count to a grand total of 22. :oops::)

Last edited:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
View attachment 89673

£9.37 74% Off | Sofirn HS10 USB C Rechargeable Mini 16340 Headlamp 1100lm LH351D 90CRI Angle Flashlight TIR Optics with Magnet Tail 2 Groups

On board charging, takes a CR123A if need be.
Thanks for the heads-up. The AliExpress pricing lottery served it up at £10.39 for me but (like the others have said) it was an instant buy.

Sofirn do an excellent little steel bodied keychain light, I’ve had various other makes, all anodised aluminium, and within 6 months they all looked battered and scratched. My steel Sofirn on the other hand, after a couple of years, still looks new, plus it’s a very powerful little thing!
Couldn’t resist this HS10, I like the angled torches/headlamps. I’ve just added up how many Sofirn torches, headlamps and lanterns I have- in conflicting feelings of dismayed/happy/satisfied/embarrassed, this one will bring the count to a grand total of 22. :oops::)
Thanks for mentioning this. I'm going to try and find it. Sounds good.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Thanks for the heads-up. The AliExpress pricing lottery served it up at £10.39 for me but (like the others have said) it was an instant buy.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm going to try and find it. Sounds good.
I just checked, it's a Sofirn SC01, but sadly it’s no longer available.

Reactions: Garnett

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

:lmao:

I really ought to avoid the BLF ‘Aliexpress Bargain’ thread for the same reason.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE