The Ice Raven has landed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been putting a new site together to complement my old Ravenlore site but concentrating more on the Sub Zero kind of stuff.

It's called "Ice Raven" and although it's still under construction I think it's finally tidy enough to welcome visitors without too much shame.

You'll see that I'm migrating articles from Ravenlore to fill the pages and in some places they're a bit out of context but I'll sort them as soon as I get to them.

Pop in and have a look if you like and I'd really be grateful for any suggestions or feed back.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You seem to be getting the hang of it. It may just be me, but I think the blue background is a bit sickly-sweet and might well benefit from being paler, harder shade( like the background here, or paler still).

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I aree. I enjoyed the earlier site and visited it regularly. I'm looking forward to following this one too. At the risk of repeating myself- I really wish you'd publish a book and widen your fan base. Your photos are inspiring and text is informative. Just the thing for a cold winter evening in front of the fire. Good for bedtime reading too when snug and warm on a cold night!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Gary,

Couple of things if i may, the blue background as mentioned above is pretty sickly, but no doubt this will change as the site evolves over time, i know how hard it can be to find the 'right' colour.

The only other thing i could notice was on smaller screens, ie 1024x768, the user has to scroll right to see all of the page, the home page being a perfect example, on wide screen monitors it's fine and everything is visible, but not everyone has wide screen and from experience, i know that people being people, are inherently lazy and they wont scroll over to the right, when i tried the site on one of my small screens, all of the text on the right hand side was chopped of and the navigation buttons were missing, of course they were off screen and scrolling right fixed it, but from experience, and i know it happens as i have done it myself, if half the page is 'apparently' missing, people wont stay.

Hope this helps?

Have added the site to my favourites folder as it looks like it will be a superb resource

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hopefully the site will motivate readers to go on the 2013 Norway survival course, it'd be a shame if the course was not repeated.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice one Gary,

Couple of things if i may, the blue background as mentioned above is pretty sickly, but no doubt this will change as the site evolves over time, i know how hard it can be to find the 'right' colour.

The only other thing i could notice was on smaller screens, ie 1024x768, the user has to scroll right to see all of the page, the home page being a perfect example, on wide screen monitors it's fine and everything is visible, but not everyone has wide screen and from experience, i know that people being people, are inherently lazy and they wont scroll over to the right, when i tried the site on one of my small screens, all of the text on the right hand side was chopped of and the navigation buttons were missing, of course they were off screen and scrolling right fixed it, but from experience, and i know it happens as i have done it myself, if half the page is 'apparently' missing, people wont stay.

Hope this helps?

Have added the site to my favourites folder as it looks like it will be a superb resource

I realise that is a problem but I don't have the knowhow to set it up for multiple screen sizes and I wanted more real estate for bigger pictures.

I have tried to include all the navigation buttons at the bottom as well as at the side as a compromise.

Are you losing text on the right or just the navigation bar?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Are you losing text on the right or just the navigation bar?

Losing text & buttons, i took a screen shot at 1024 for you to illustrate

Capture.jpg

Works well at other resolutions though, cracking bit of work.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the site and the layout. I quite like the background.. Suits the subject, icy. When I'm reading it on my ipad in portrait the tags at the side are chopped off, but its not a big problem. Look forward to the updates to follow...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid that I too have the "cropped screen" effect ... but once the steam pressure running my confuser is up to 3 bar I find I can scroll across in fine style...
I am sure modern confusers have screens (or VDUs as they are known here) that cope well and all the text is visible.
The content is - naturally - superb!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE