the howling of the wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Right in our backyard is a great little wilderness park accessible to
only canoeists and hikers. This weekend was our first time exploring it because to be honest we just assumed because it was
so small it wasn't worth checking out. We had such a pleasant surprise. This place is a gem. Only about 5000 hectares, but the
lakes are clear and the portage routes are challenging and the scenery was stunning. Best of all, our camping season started off
with a visit from a pack of wolves...howling in the evening, just
across the bay from where we pitched our tent. Of all the wilderness experiences, hearing wolves howl is pretty much the
best thing ever.

The pics are from an oddball little fisheye camera we were
trying out...:eek:

frontenacjune102011080.jpg

frontenacjune102011085.jpg

frontenacjune102011022.jpg

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Amazing,astonished you had not checked it out before,being that it was only 5000 hectares,I spent the weekend on a site that was only 140 acres,lol.And to hear wolves howl in the wild must be amazing.
Glad u shared this with us,thnx

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I require more information. Dispatch yourself immediately sir, and do not return until you have garnered more pictures, a map, coordinates and some sort of shrubbery. Post haste!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I require more information. Dispatch yourself immediately sir, and do not return until you have garnered more pictures, a map, coordinates and some sort of shrubbery. Post haste!

On our next trip out, hopefully soon, many more pics will be taken and relayed to the forum. And we shall also cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.... a herring.

Oh, and you're right, 50 square km isn't a bad space to roam in, for sure. I was just comparing it to other camping venues we use; Algonquin Park is 7500 square km.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice find, and cool pics. I sometimes get to hear the coyotes when I am out at night in the woods here. It's really cool and takes me away from the urban life for a while.

I wish we had our native Red Wolves back and could send the coyotes back where they came from.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's interesting. Are they the same sub-species as the Southern Red Wolf? If so is there any clue how they got that far North? We only have two small colonies left in the wild down here; one in the Carolinas and the other on one of the islands off the Mississippi coast (that is if that colony survived Katrina)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
That's interesting. Are they the same sub-species as the Southern Red Wolf? If so is there any clue how they got that far North? We only have two small colonies left in the wild down here; one in the Carolinas and the other on one of the islands off the Mississippi coast (that is if that colony survived Katrina)

Not sure if it's been explained or theorized. That Algonquin colony as far as I know is isolated and surrounded by the long-legged timberwolves like we have around here,
(we're 100 km or so so south of Algonquin). I think I heard also that the wolf population in the park is not thriving as well as hoped in the last few years.
The bear population on the other hand....it pays to be an omnivore...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE