The Highlands, March 22nd - 24th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
On the 22nd of March I'll be going to the Highlands for the first time. Any tips and advice, or tales to tell about the Highlands?

Things to bring
Good camera
Ipod
Laptop
Glasses
Bushcraft kit?
Notepad
This list

Things to get:

Souvenirs. Ranger leaflets. Visitor centre maps.

Videos:

Format will be long vlogs instead of having to take camera out and take a video of everything. The vlogs will be recorded at the end of a day or when we reach a fairly important milestone.

Format - Video of preparing to leave for place, video of entering place, video conclusion of what I saw.

Photos:

Everything in between. Doesn't need to be ordered. Only take photos of things you know you can capture easily. Don't clutter the memory card with blurry and useless photos.

Plan:

(Day one)
Tranent to the Isles of Glencoe Hotel
Miscellaneous places
Oban
Fort William
Ballaculish/Loch Leven (Isles of Glencoe Hotel)
Glencoe
Ben Nevis
Ariundle Oakwood (Strontian/Sunart area of Lochaber District)

(Day two)
Isles of Glencoe Hotel to Cairngorms National Park 
Aviemore
Rothiemurchus Visitor Centre
Explore Abernethy Ranger Base
Abernethy 'Caledonian Pine' Forest (Nethybridge/Loch Garten)
Highland Wildlife Park (Kingussie)

(Day three)
Isles of Glencoe Hotel to Argyll Forest Park.
Argyll Forest Park (Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park)

http://i.imgur.com/y1RKIRu.jpg

Yellow is day 1. - Tranent to Oban to Ballaculish/Isles of Glencoe Hotel situated in Loch Leven. Once we get to hotel we go explore Glencoe and then go up to Then we go to the west and try to find Ariundle Oakwood, which is near the arrow pointing to the most west in yellow. And then Fort William and then to see Ben Nevis. Back to hotel to end first day.

Red is day 2. Hotel to Cairngorms National Park. Pretty simple. Abernethy Forest, Highland Wildlife park, etc.

Pink is day 3. Instead of just coming home we go to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park and go to the other side of it, Argyll Forest Park which I haven't seen. On my previous two trips there I only went to the the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park which is on the other side of the Lomond divide. And then back to tranent.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Glen Coe is stunning! I'm utterly addicted. Rannoch Moor is fabulous too if you're ok with very wild and lonely.

Nethy Bridge/Loch garten walk is excellent and the Osprey centre is super but not open until April!

Highland wildlife Park was a disappointment to us when we went in Aug 2011. We first went in 2000 when it was excellent and about Scottish wildlife that would have been here. In 2011 it was full of monkeys and and a dreadfully warm and uncomfortable polar bear, parrots and other non-British animals. They were feeding horse to wildcats they intended to release into the wild! - since when have wildcas managed to kill a horse ??? They also had the male cat in with the half-grown kits, unable to go off on his own, and it was obviously only a matter of time until he whacked them! They'd put a pine marten in a cage between 2 of the wildcat cages so the poor critter just went round and round his cage 24/7 - well wouldn't if you were stuck between 2 groups of beasties that ate you ??? And the wolves were not in a good way either but apparently the pair have had pups this year which is something. The reindeer were a mess too, very sickly! No, very downhill and commercial now.

Go and see the Cairgorm reindeer herd, you get to walk with them and feed them which is quite amazing!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Glen Coe is stunning! I'm utterly addicted. Rannoch Moor is fabulous too if you're ok with very wild and lonely.

Nethy Bridge/Loch garten walk is excellent and the Osprey centre is super but not open until April!

Highland wildlife Park was a disappointment to us when we went in Aug 2011. We first went in 2000 when it was excellent and about Scottish wildlife that would have been here. In 2011 it was full of monkeys and and a dreadfully warm and uncomfortable polar bear, parrots and other non-British animals. They were feeding horse to wildcats they intended to release into the wild! - since when have wildcas managed to kill a horse ??? They also had the male cat in with the half-grown kits, unable to go off on his own, and it was obviously only a matter of time until he whacked them! They'd put a pine marten in a cage between 2 of the wildcat cages so the poor critter just went round and round his cage 24/7 - well wouldn't if you were stuck between 2 groups of beasties that ate you ??? And the wolves were not in a good way either but apparently the pair have had pups this year which is something. The reindeer were a mess too, very sickly! No, very downhill and commercial now.

Go and see the Cairgorm reindeer herd, you get to walk with them and feed them which is quite amazing!
I've seen quite a lot of photos of Glencoe and it does look stunning. It's hard to believe the landscape changes so much in just a few hours drive from the lowlands. Glencoe's terrain is rustic brown in the winter, yes? Do you know if it will be green by the 22nd? I'm not really fussed because I know it will all look incredible.

Yes, that is indeed a shame... I'd heard before that the Park was mainly for native species, but now it just sounds like some commercial zoo with bad living conditions. But is that really the case? I thought the animals got to roam in an actual enclosure as opposed to cages? Strange.

Did you ever go to Abernethy Forest, Elen?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you're trying to cram too much into each day.
Like a tourist who does Edinburgh in the morning and Stirling in the afternoon; or the climbers who thrash through the Munros and have to go back and do them all again because they really didn't see them and can't seperate them out in their minds.

It's good to have a plan, but you'll get no atmosphere of the places at all as you race through them.

I know it's early, but it's been mild, take anti midge stuff, just in case.

Enjoy the trip :D

Mary

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
You'll never do that red route in a day.

I'd take each of those days as a day each as Toddy says.

It's magic and you won't want to move on.

I'd say Slow down and enjoy it all. Camera, warm jumper and windproof, and midge repellant.

Enjoy.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I think you're trying to cram too much into each day.
Like a tourist who does Edinburgh in the morning and Stirling in the afternoon; or the climbers who thrash through the Munros and have to go back and do them all again because they really didn't see them and can't seperate them out in their minds.

It's good to have a plan, but you'll get no atmosphere of the places at all as you race through them.

I know it's early, but it's been mild, take anti midge stuff, just in case.

Enjoy the trip :D

Mary

You'll never do that red route in a day.

I'd take each of those days as a day each as Toddy says.

It's magic and you won't want to move on.

I'd say Slow down and enjoy it all. Camera, warm jumper and windproof, and midge repellant.

Enjoy.

I would agree, better to go back and see the things you miss than not to enjoy what you do because of the rush.

omo :)

enjoy what ever you do :D

Elen Sentier

Yes, THOak, Abernethy is a favourite of mine, want to do Strathspey walk this year if time allows.

Yes, the conditions are that bad in the park now. The staff serving the coffee realised and talked with us about it !!! Don't know who manages it from Edinburgh zoo now but they must have tick-box degrees and no experience.

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Keep a good eye on the weather forecast :) I heard that the "bookies" are offering 2 to 1 On for a "WHITE EASTER" !!!! Some are saying coldest for 40yrs :(

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Day two is a weeks holiday in itself.

You're going to need to spread things out a bit I think.

Day two? How exactly is going to see the Caledonian Pine Forest (Abernethy Forest) and then the Highland Wildlife Park a WEEKS holiday?

I've taken out some of the places, but I don't see the problem. For one, day one will mostly be the surrounding area. Secondly, day two is basically two places. Thirdly, day three is just a quick stop at Argyll Forest Park.

Look at it now. When I take out the names you'll see it's a lot smaller than you first thought.

(Day One)

Ballaculish/Loch Leven (Isles of Glencoe Hotel)
Glencoe
Ben Nevis

(Day two)

Abernethy 'Caledonian Pine' Forest (Nethybridge/Loch Garten)
Highland Wildlife Park (Kingussie)

(Day three)
Isles of Glencoe Hotel to Argyll Forest Park.

Argyll Forest Park (Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Day two? How exactly is going to see the Caledonian Pine Forest (Abernethy Forest) and then the Highland Wildlife Park a WEEKS holiday?

Thoaken, I think he means it's whether you want to see a tree or experience an ancient reminant of pinewood like our ancestors. It's up to you what you want out of it but taking a little time is sometimes the way. Like with the firesteel, took a bit of time to get there, you even thought of giving up. But the satisfaction when you achieved it.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thoaken, I think he means it's whether you want to see a tree or experience an ancient reminant of pinewood like our ancestors. It's up to you what you want out of it but taking a little time is sometimes the way. Like with the firesteel, took a bit of time to get there, you even thought of giving up. But the satisfaction when you achieved it.

I completely understand that, but I don't understand where this idea that I want to rush everything is coming from.

I'm going to be waking up at about 7 in the morning and spending almost an entire day in the forest, before heading off to the Wildlife Park. If that's not taking my time, then I really don't know what is, friend. I could go to all the lochs in the Cairngorms National Park, but I'm only seeing two attractions.

Edit: Day one: Glencoe and Ben Nevis. Day two: Abernethy Forest and the Highland Wildlife Park. Day three: A trip around Argyll Forest Park on the way home.

That's not a lot...

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with the other guys too, by the time you've driven to places, you'll literally be jumping back in the car again five minutes later and heading on to the next stop. I'd add another two days on if possible and break your days into two, I've planned similar trips over seas and regretted not being able to explore the places more. I'd want two or three hours at least exploring places like Glencoe, the oakwood and the caledonian forest, not too bothered about Fort Bill though :)

I'm speaking as a non-native of course, you've probably got more of an idea than I have but I think you're cramming too much in.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I agree with the other guys too, by the time you've driven to places, you'll literally be jumping back in the car again five minutes later and heading on to the next stop. I'd add another two days on if possible and break your days into two, I've planned similar trips over seas and regretted not being able to explore the places more. I'd want two or three hours at least exploring places like Glencoe, the oakwood and the caledonian forest, not too bothered about Fort Bill though :)

I'm speaking as a non-native of course, you've probably got more of an idea than I have but I think you're cramming too much in.
Read my updates. I've taken out the Oakwood. I mean, seriously, I'm going to be waking up very early and heading to these places. The hotel I've chosen is right beside Glencoe and relatively near Ben Nevis. And concerning the Cairngorms, that's directly to the east of the hotel. I honestly think I'll have enough time. The towns are only to make a very quick stop to get maps and things. I'm not actually going to look around the towns...

(Day one)
(Surrounding town for visitor centre)
Main attractions: Glencoe & Ben Nevis

(Day two)
(Surrounding towns for visitor centre)
Main Attractions: Abernethy Forest, the Caledonian Pine Forest & Highland Wildlife Park

(Day three)
Isles of Glencoe Hotel to Argyll Forest Park
(Surrounding towns for visitor centre)
Main Attractions: Argyll Forest Park (Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sorry if you thought I misspoke, I've always been a wanderer and love to just drift through the woods, seeing, smelling, hearing, touching and just stopping. I forget others experience things in different ways. Enjoy your holiday and as Shewies says you live near enough to go back soon.
Have a nice time,
GB.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Chap, you asked for advice, got the same for all of us and then became entrenched......

Do what you like at the end of the day but you asked.

I took your advice and took out some places. I'm not being hostile. I'm responding to your criticism of my plan. I'm merely defending my point that I think, for example, that getting up at 7 in the morning is enough time to get to the Cairngorms from Ballaculish. That's the day with which most people have a problem. Day one, though, is very simple as where I'm staying is so close to Glencoe, hence the hotel name.

Last edited:
N

Nomad

How long is it going to take to get from Tranent to Ballachulish?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I drive all over the highlands for work I love it the best commute ever. A few regrets, not being able to stop my car and take the photos I want, not stop the car to watch a bird of prey or a herd of deer, not stop take in the view and appreciate the life and landscape around you. If that's what you want for your holiday and not a tick sheet list of where you were, then slow down and leave space in life for that opportune photo. As has been said its your holiday do what you want but there are lovely little spots all over that can add to your memories and won't necessarily be the same photos as the postcards. Imagine your vlog "we got up, ate odd bits of offal(haggi' love them), jumped into the car, drove quite fast over not great roads, got there looked at trees and stuff, loads of similar photos came home, yeah did Scotland, tick". It could be you waxing lyrical about flowers, fauna scenery and memories. Your holiday though the one you asked for advice about.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I drive all over the highlands for work I love it the best commute ever. A few regrets, not being able to stop my car and take the photos I want, not stop the car to watch a bird of prey or a herd of deer, not stop take in the view and appreciate the life and landscape around you. If that's what you want for your holiday and not a tick sheet list of where you were, then slow down and leave space in life for that opportune photo. As has been said its your holiday do what you want but there are lovely little spots all over that can add to your memories and won't necessarily be the same photos as the postcards. Imagine your vlog "we got up, ate odd bits of offal(haggi' love them), jumped into the car, drove quite fast over not great roads, got there looked at trees and stuff, loads of similar photos came home, yeah did Scotland, tick". It could be you waxing lyrical about flowers, fauna scenery and memories. Your holiday though the one you asked for advice about.
I honestly can't see what's making me appear as someone who just wants to drive past everything and not pay heed to the beauty and stillness of the landscape... I have very little to do on my list now. Am I missing something? Does it actually take a long time to travel in the Highlands? Are you saying I should only see one single place each day?

Once again, I'm not dismissing any of your advice, far from it. I'm just not sure why my recent changes haven't helped change your minds that I do, in fact, want to take my time.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE