The Great Big Fatwood Match Project [Fail}

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
After watching one of Survival Lilly’s often-misguided-but-completely-entertaining YouTube videos, I decided to take a stab at making Really Big Matches. The idea is simple enough: Use a small piece of fatwood to make a match, then all I need to do is strike the match, let the fatwood catch, and start my fire. Good plan, eh?

So I grabbed several boxes of matches, scraped all the fiery red stuff off; made a paste; smeared the paste onto the fatwood and let them dry. All that was left was to use them and be the Ultimate Laid-back Wet-Morning Firestarter Hero. Simple.

It’s important to note that this project was a complete failure. The matches would never light and I ended up tossing them all in the trash. Good photos, though!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Wouldn't have had anything to do with the Maker's Mark in the background, would it?

I notice it's just far enough out of shot that we can't see how much it went down during the project! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
What medium did you use for the paste?

Just water. I added a bit until it was a paste. If I ever did it again, I would grind the red match junk MUCH finer and use a bit less water. A smooth coating is the key. Don't underestimate the abject failure of the fatwood though. Even when lit with a lighter, the sulphur lit up, but didn't light the fatwood; it was too thick. But when it was thin enough to light, the stick would break. Seriously: this project was flawed from the outset. I never had a chance. Good firm buzz though.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Would splitting the fatwood at one end and then binding in a couple of matches to the split work any better?

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Would splitting the fatwood at one end and then binding in a couple of matches to the split work any better?

It might, but I'd be quickly approaching Full Ridiculousness, and while I have a passing relationship with FR, we make every effort to give each other enough room to avoid true conflict.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you can get the match goop to light, you know you have that issue solved. Bash the fatwood between 2 rocks to fray the ends so there's far more fine fiber and surface area. As you know, it takes a fair heat to get any thick stick to light.

Don't feel bad = I'm told that I can start a forest fire with a cigarette butt. Some days, I can't light a wood stove with a propane torch.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
It's important to know this: I have no plans to revise this goofy idea. I am, however happy to watch someone else try it :) If you can scrape all those little matchsticks without laughing your **** off for more than ten minutes, then you deserve any success you find. Go for it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE