Fatwood Brimstone aka Sulfur Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Once again the hydrocarbons are back and they're not messing around. Some years ago I got these fatwood Brimstone matches from a friend who runs a bushcraft school. Never did anything with them tossing 1/2 the lot into my larger flint and steel kit. Photos of my larger F&S kit were taken during the summer. Today there was a chilly late march nip in the air.

I think traditionally they were made from pine or other softwoods but these are from fatwood. Brimstone matches are an old idea but some recent interest online made me think of the fatwood ones in my larger kit. Had some more in a separate bag and during my daily conditioning hike decided this could be fun. Along the way I stuffed my pockets with Yellow birch bark. This was going to be a hydrocarbon on hydrocarbon affair!

It's a GO!

On the hike. Just a few miles as not feeling 100% today.

The fatwood Brimstone matches. Being dipped in sulfur they would at least need a coal to ignite. Barring that a Bic would really work! LOL!

The WCF simple C easily fits in an altoids. I have a few simple Cs but this one is the smallest and fits in an Altoids container with tons of room spare. Not that the larger one couldn't but it lives as a backup to the MP knives striker.

A few strikes later and we have a coal.

Going.

Going..

Going....

and we have ignition. Oh the fatwood burns nice!

Very very soon after if not within the same microsecond of ignition.

Soon after probably within the same second or so.

Now the marriage made in heaven. Yellow birch bark.

I guess the remainder will be packed in the little Flint and Steel kit as well.

Hiking out.

Here is a short video.

[video=youtube;pWzq37aSnXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWzq37aSnXA[/video]

Thanks for looking.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Looks great. I made my own 'fatwood' cooking the sticks in really hot candle wax. tried the sulphur match with them but no joy. Might have to'buy' some real fatwood and give it a go. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE