*The* Gift-It-On Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The threads fine, keep it as should be but start a new one for 2013, same rules as before, we all dont sit round putas all day so the only take if youncan offer rules a bit un fair, sometimes in dinner at work i may see something but dont know my offer till i getbhome. And indont sit and hover over this thread day and night, its a GIO thread gave folf a chance to sort something. If the thread stalls amday or two so what. Theres moremto life to seenwhat the next gift is. It just seems the same folk sit on here and hawk for bargains wether they need it or not.
Just chill and remember why it was started,
stay safe Al

I disagree. The biggest problem at the moment is hawks that grab as you say. If you need to be prepared with something to offer then it will limit that tendency.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
what about people who take something , offer an item then take the item the person who seconds ago just took theirs? what about this scenario?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
what about people who take something , offer an item then take the item the person who seconds ago just took theirs? what about this scenario?

Does that happen often? Personally I was in this position once but did not claim the gift on offer due to my morals, I felt it was unfair and greedy.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a list of things to GIO with pictures ready to go but anything that grabs my attention has usually gone already.
It annoys the hell out of me when people grab things before even thinking if they have an item to post in return.

I know its a GIO thread but some basic rules should be employed here. One rule I would like to see is that no one person can take more than one item per week. Also if you do take an item your item to GIO must be posted within 1hour maximum.

Im fully aware that most people work and can't always post items up for trade but if your able to access the thread to take you should also be able to post items too even if its not with a picture.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Does that happen often? Personally I was in this position once but did not claim the gift on offer due to my morals, I felt it was unfair and greedy.

Some can rely on personal "morals" some need guidelines ;)

I would say maybe sit out for 5? maybe turns before diving in again. Its hard as this is supposed to be a "gift" it on thread rather than a harsh trading post, dont know if it starts to defeat the object/sentiment of the thing. I guess any rules so to speak also do the same.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Id settle for a rule where you have to post the gift on in less than six months......the member who offered up some rams horn must be waiting for the ram to grow some more.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Why is it ? I can understand some people having problems and delays occuring, but six months ? If people who aren't reliable are named and shamed surely it benefits everyone. Members can decide if they want to post their gift on and the unreliable person may just get their act together rather than keeping people waiting.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

yeah, I've seen atleast two people do it before. I think one of them may have done it a few times too.. but I won't name names! :rolleyes:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I never did get my multitool... :( That was just after offering something pretty expensive that a chap who had been on the forum five minutes took and I don't think he came back. I'd say there should be a minimum time & number of posts before you are eligible to claim something...

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
My two peneth, ....................

New thread in 'The Full Members Forum?

Dont ask for an offer unless you can put another up immediatley (or possibly within 12 hours, which would seem reasonable)?

You must be able to get it posted to the recipent within 48 hours?

Only bumping to be made by the person offering?

Perhaps some guide lines.....................

The sender must obtain and keep the proof of posting?

The sender is to PM the recipent when dispatched and the receiver to PM the sender to confirm delivery? (I know most folks do but unfortunately some don't!)

Try to work out problems via PM, posting your problems in the thread is as a last resort only scenario (and keep it civil!) ?

To me, all the above seems simple enough.

It's a good thread and it deserves to keep going.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Interesting reading all the suggestions for rules and regs. I think that if the thread cant rely on the good nature of members to police it themselves and act reasonably then there is no point in continuing.

Putting a 1 hour posting limit Johnboy :D Really ?

Edit: missread that, thought you meant getting to the post office :D:D:D

My sympathies to Andy for waiting 6 months to get the horn. No man should wait that long :D

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
If you have to have a gift lined up and ready with photos to take part it's not in the spirit of this thread. It's meant to be a helpful to pass on unused items for one you may need. Their should be no £ value put to a item. Some people only go to the post office once a week so saying it must be 48 hours is ridiculous. It's a free gift if its sent second class suck it up and wait a few days for it. Their have been a few that have not revived a gift they asked for sadly things get lost in the post or people are just. If you can't all just get on with it rather CLOSE it than impose law on the thread.

Sent from my Baobab Tree.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Interesting reading all the suggestions for rules and regs. I think that if the thread cant rely on the good nature of members to police it themselves and act reasonably then there is no point in continuing.

Putting a 1 hour posting limit Johnboy :D Really ?

Edit: missread that, thought you meant getting to the post office :D:D:D

My sympathies to Andy for waiting 6 months to get the horn. No man should wait that long :D

No Paul wasn't refering to the post office, damn I hate going there. I think if most people have time to get there once a week they do well.
I think if your participating in this thread you have some idea of bits that you don't need and can say what they are pretty quick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE