*The* Gift-It-On Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Just to put it to bed so to speak......

These will be strong enough to hold a (modest) weight in a hammock. They are not like the alloy ones that bend under load!
They would not take a directly loaded force but for a gradual strain they would be ok, as for climbing you would need something a lot more substantial to take the extra force of a direct pull (usually also equipped with a screw lock gate)

So in summary...
Would i use one (well2) for a hammock? Yes (but prob not if i was 18stone)
Would i use it as a towing link? No
Would i Climb it? No
Kit Suspend or leash? Yes

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Depends on the diameter of the wire used to make them. M6 would probably be strong enough but I'd rather use M8 or higher. It's one of the reasons I use climbing rate carabiners for hanging as it would make sleeping even more difficult worrying about falling all the time.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Stove turned up safe and sound! Thank you very Much!!

I'll offer something elts up later when I'm back from work. Can't ubderstand why the crabs are still around? They normally go like hot cakes..?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
raju8ade.jpg

3abehupe.jpg

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
I get it from work, its used on the Arial cousers due to its strength and long life span. If you want to have a look go on google search and pop in solid wheve cord. It should show up some results :) just to give you an idea though, the same rope is used on petrol lawn mower cords..

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Starter cord is good strong stuff. I bought a 100m from eBay recently - it's cheaper than paracord and similar strength

And it has very little stretch in it (unlike paracord :rofl:)

On offer from Cowboy
How about 3 feet of solid weave cord for bow drill sets. I find this stuff great.. it lasts forever!! :confused:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE