The Fear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I did my 1st solo somewhere fairly protected (read about it here if you like)

I too have an over-active imagination but found when i was out there swinging in the trees with no tarp above me i had less paranoid thoughts than when the wife leaves me at home alone for a night.

When you do it you'll be too excited to worry. Its a nice way to clear the mind in truth!

If you re worried, an iPod or book to pass the time and make you sleepy always helps!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Earplugs are a must! Or the dulcet tones of the world service...the shipping forecast is audible zopiclone...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

When my son and I used to camp we made a point of listening to the shipping forecast...no reason just became a 'tradition' for us, same as corned beef stew as the first nights meal. I still tune in at home from time to time and still enjoy 'A Book at Bedtime' :)

Zopiclone can give 'hangovers' stick to a drop of brandy.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Ahh that solo trip in a kayak to the island..

I remember reading your trip report and being a little jealous :)

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Well, maybe put your mind at rest a little.
I am sitting in the hammock having just had breakfast after a night out on me own......and i managed to avoid all vampires and soul sucking hoodie kids :D
But maybe i just got lucky :D

Get out there and do it dude

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Aye until the ghost stories around the campfire start! :D So saying the sound of biscuit wrappers and snoring may drown out the noises, and to be honest who'd be.mad enough to accost an amassed amount of BCUK'ers?¿ (Did we ever decide what the collective noun for a group of bushcrafters was? :) )

How about....... Asylum!

mrbarfly29

Feb 9, 2013
Shropshire
When i Was little My mum always used to say "don't play in the woods, theres a scary man/nutter sleeping in there" to dissuade me going in to far, years later i've come to realise... I am the nutter sleeping in the woods :lmao:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember my first solo camp. It was just up and over a pass to Patterdale from Dunmail Raise. I'd visited family who were in a new caravan (touring) for a roast chicken dinner. On the way back I couldn't be bothered going home Just to meet up with friends in the same place the next day. So I parked up at the top on the way home and k walked up til I found a pitch. That was on a peculiar bit of flat grass in the middle of the rocky path. Pitched up had a brew and sat watching night fall with a real sense of what am I doing. I was jumpy and twitchy all evening. I then went to bed inside my little single skin tent. Boy I was jumpy. Then I heard the sound of a passerby walking on the path that surrounded the pitch. In fact a few and they went around both sides, stopping to see what this strange object was. It was sheep. Seems at night they join up into groups and use the human paths to get lower down. Then early in the morning they take the return journey before splitting up in the fells. I didn't know what it was but I still had a good night's sleep. Counting sheep I guess works! Although ear plugs and mp3 player works better.
The next morning I woke up refreshed and pottered downhill to the car. Only trouble was I was too happy, drinking a cup of coffee as I walked. I was wearing fell shoes for the first time for a backpack too. Unfortunately in my sense of achievement (small as it was, it was still my first solo adventure) I'd not paid attention to where my feet went and I sprained my ankle badly. Limping to the car I snacked on some cereal bars and took some ibuprofen then met my mates in Ambleside with a bacon butty in my hand, early for the first time ever. A great night, brilliant morning and a painful Fairfield Horseshoe doped up on ibuprofen and paracetamol.
Since then I've done solo trips but I must admit it is always trips shared with mates that are the best.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW the sheep near Wasdale Head are truly scary once it gets dark. They scream like women or young children being attacked. That truly freaked me out on my post pub walk back to the NT campsite when I stayed there on my own. I was freaked walking between the high walls either side of the road. I was freaked all the way to the site. I was freaked in the toilet block, locked cubicle and I was freaked in my tent. At least until I'd fallen asleep. What a big pansy?!!! Still I challenge anyone to not be freaked out by a screaming sound coming out of the dark when on your own. Seriously scary in the same way horror films work on your mind. Blair witch project scary at least!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Dalesfoot sheep ate nearly all our provisions, lard included, when we camped there in the sixties, carnivorous beasts!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you seen the New Zealand film Black Sheep? Maybe best not too before heading back up to Dalesfoot. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
This year I've wild camped in England, France and Spain - last time I wild camped was about 25 years ago. First few times might seem a bit wierd but it's great once you're used to it. A hammock and tarp and you can camp just about anywhere.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
He's not been killed by an axe murderer has he? What, after all the 'you'll be fine' etc.

In fact, mad forest murderers may use this forum to pick their victims???

< goes and locks doors >

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
He's not been killed by an axe murderer has he? What, after all the 'you'll be fine' etc.

In fact, mad forest murderers may use this forum to pick their victims???

< goes and locks doors >

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D That's sadly very funny. Can read the headlines now.
There was a bit of a "paranoia" feel on the Fear Of The Dark thread that Pistachio Man may be a forum reader. Would make a good short story, will have to sharpen my pencil and get scribbling.
Hope he is okay and that he's just out having fun on his tod in the woods somewhere. Sitting by a fire, having a brew and watching the last of the shooting stars.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil,
For I the meanest SOB in the valley

Creator I am sorry for that :(:(:(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil,
For I the meanest SOB in the valley

Creator I am sorry for that :(:(:(

An as Woody Allen said: -

"And yea I shall not walk through the valley of death.
I shall run!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE