The Fear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I have a black bear nesting about 20 feet in the back yard, a 135lbs Rottweiler with an attitude, I am not scared of them but my wife, I shiver (Abenaki, ni-dan aikido)
All said I sleep well in the bush, (no dear just writing a letter, got to go now)

Op, don't over think it, just have a good time at your leisure. Enjoy.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Hello!!!!!
its this coming weekend :) I spent last weekend barricaded under the stairs with a shotgun after reading all you "Advice" LOL!!!

Kit is packed ready to go, photos and report to follow - hope the Bl**dy rain holds off!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello!!!!!
its this coming weekend :) I spent last weekend barricaded under the stairs with a shotgun after reading all you "Advice" LOL!!!

Kit is packed ready to go, photos and report to follow - hope the Bl**dy rain holds off!

Kit packed?
You remembered the silver bullets, holy water and last will & testament then? ;)
Looking forward to reading about it next week. I was thinking about you and this thread the other night when I rewatched Dog Solders.
Best of luck and after some initial trepidation I'm sure you'll have a great time. Being solitary in nature can be very awakening mentaly & spiritualy. It can even become habit forming where you crave that time out there alone more and more.
Best of luck,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A riveting listen for sitting alone in the woods...
d61ddbfaf414a0d62ba52610a4911ee0.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was thinking about you and this thread the other night when I rewatched Dog Solders.

You rewatched it?

I watch films again and again, some I've seen over a 100 times... but Dog Soldiers? Rather than a second viewing of it, I'd have more fun recreating the whole thing in the back garden with a book about Lassie, a cheese and onion pasty and a creaking hinge.

That film has only been topped recently by 'Big Fat Gypsy Gangster' as my worst made British film of all time!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love Dog Soldiers. It's a funny low budget classic. (Though the only one in the trilogy worth watching).
Take it you didn't like "Ginger Snaps" either?
Some good actors in it and a pretty good depiction of squadies. Also have a soft spot for it as the company I worked supplied some of the kit.
To each his own though. Some thought it strange that I didn't like the new Mad Max film. Just thought it was an over extended boring car chase. Pity as Tom Hardy is usually pretty good.
So saying the scene where the landy gets trashed. All the landy lovers I know laugh like me as theres never been that much wiring in the engine bay of a series landy. :D

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Haven't seen Ginger Snaps, but I'll make a point of looking for it.

Weirdly, I'm a fan of Sean Pertwee (even though he has the acting range of an ironing board) but Dog Soldiers... just found it predictable, boring and seriously, those werewolves? They were modeled on Lassie! :rolleyes:

Haven't seen the new Mad Max yet... but I am getting sick of all these remakes. Last year it was Robocop, next year it's Ghostbusters... the film companies have just run out of ideas :(

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I need help!

Im 42 years young, shoot after dark, walk the dog before sunrise, have camped all my life and yet......

Have a fear of wild camping on my own!

I could camp where I shoot, know some cheeky woodland spots around the area but cannot bring myself to do it.

I think I am afraid of other people stumbling across me lol! My kit is more hiker (blue bivvy, yellow tarp. I don't want to spend money on new kit when I don't use what I have!)

Any advice please or any near Grantham fancy babysitting me for a night in return for a pie and a pint?

Pretty embarrassed in all honesty!

When I was 18 I decided to walk the Pennine Way solo, so for about four months prior to doing the long hike North the one thing I forgot to think about at the time was being alone at night in the middle of nowhere! and kept thinking of the worst case scenarios which at the time scared me to death, so prior to going on my long walk I done a few wild camps in a woodland miles from where I live, at first it was strange and was a bit scared but by the third or fourth night I started to get used to it, you hear things at night and the best thing to do is not let your mind do overtime and thinking the worst......anyway the route was planned and off I went and 18 days later walk completed and totally enjoyed the freedom even though I had enough blisters to last a life time, But the best way to get over the fear of the dark and being alone is to face it full on and keep your mind occupied on other things!

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Rhyan, just by way of confusing you, most times when I walk, I camp, and I prefer to find my site in daylight and return to it after dusk so I'm not seen. No one sees me go in, I don't have a fire, just a spirit stove, I get my head down in a gonk bag and move on straight after an early breakfast. Forget spooks, atmosphere and all that. There is no evolutionary justification for believing in the things our forbears feared. Its all cultural cr&p. You are part of the environment. Relax. If you've got permission to use the land and you choose your site thoughtfully, no one will bother you. If you think that they might, go in the woods somewhere there are wood pigeons. They will settle down once you have, and will give you an alarm if anyone else comes along. Pay no heed to the noises, they really are just part of the surroundings. Don't even think about taking a weapon. Don't reach for your axe or knife - that approach might cause you to be on edge. Be cool. Have fun. Good luck.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Well! Getting away later than planned. A deer got into our little orchard last night and get his head stuck between the metal railings.

I managed to hog tie it and secure the antlers, but a 999 for the fire brigade was needed to bend the railings. 50% of me was thinking "Just fetch the gun, phone dad and lets get this in the store" - the other 50% was thinking "Adopted daughter is cool with dad shooting rabbits, pigeons and the like for food. Think a whole deer might send her over the edge over. We must save this guy!"

Anyways around midnight last night, we got him out, calmed him down and dressed the grazes and cuts to his neck and I untied him and let him go. One of the "manly" fire crew had a little tear in his eyes LOL!!!!

I will post a couple pics when I get back of the "Jaws of Life" in action.

So, I'm off in around 30 mins - going to check where I shoot first (near Grantham) and if its still water logged I will head to the peaks as I checked a couple spots a few weeks ago that look promising.

See you all tomorrow! (assuming the zombies / werewolves / mad axemen / all of the above don't get me!)

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
You've said you don't know exactly where you are going to end up staying yet, when you make up your mind it is always a good idea to let someone know roughly where you are if you can (mobile phone) it should be an obvious thing to do but it's surprising how many people don't do it. (always makes it easier for the police to find the body parts when you don't come home).

Have a good night, sleep well

DB

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Hiya,
Good point Sir! - Wife has both locations though and I will drop her a text later with a OS ref as always. She also has the insurance on speed dial 1, undertaker speed dial 2 and auction house on speed dial 3 :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You left exorcist of the list Rhyan. :D
Hope the weather is kind to you and that you find a nice spot to stay.
Looking forward to stories of relaxation and fun when you get back.
ATB,
GB.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you end up in the peak district send me a grid ref.....so I can come and slowly drag a clawed hand down the side of your tent in the middle of the night :lmao:

Happy trails :D

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm a pretty fearful person after dark.

But never in the woods or wilderness, only in or near human habitation. I'd *never* camp in some old ruins.

The one thing that always scared me when I was young was the possibility of finding a snake curled up in my kit. So I did the sensible thing and moved to a country that doesn't have dangerous snakes.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's less than helpful when your friends are pathological gits. I once found this sneaking towards me through undergrowth, my mate Cieran in a ghilly suit!
55ca23f5adf52aa4bc6c33ce3d9a6f62.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE