The Fallkniven F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'd like to know your thoughts on the F1. I've been think about getting one for a while now, but just havent got around to doing it. I really like the knife, and the fact that its stainless steal. I do alot of camping in wet places and winter camping, and i've had carbon steal knives turn to rust by the time I get home, or I found i'm always trying to keep it dry. back to the F1. Would this be a good choice for a bushcraft knife.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Hi,
knife choice is obviously a very personal thing but i really like the f1, Fallkniven make great knives and i reckon the f1 is a very good (and quite a popular) choice for a good quality, mass produced stainless bushcraft knife. I use mine alot when i'm out in the canoe because it's very low maintenance around water. The laminated vg10 blade has a very robust, tackle-anything feel about it, holds a good edge, is easy to sharpen and has a great spine for casting sparks from a ferro-rod.
My only real criticism is that while the handle is very grippy, even if wet, it's a little thin for me and so not particularly comfortable in prolonged use (although probably ideal for use with gloves in winter) but again thats a personal thing. There is the option of getting an f1 blade blank and doing your own handle if you think this might be a concern.
There are lots of threads that discuss the f1 if you search under "fallkniven",
here's a good review to get you started..
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=136

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I personally hate the look and feel of them.... BUT... they have proved to be a very robust, high quality knife that is very functional and will not let you down. These are important things and all the reviews I have read have concluded the same. On this basis it's my understanding that it's a good knife.

I'd still go for a Helle or EKA in stainless though :p

Cheers,

Joe

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I did a bit of a comparative test wood-carving the other day - using 2 convex knives (a shing and an F1) and my regular flat-grind knife.

I definitely found the flat-grind more controllable than the convex, although I'm not sure how much this is down to familiarity.

leon-1

The F1 is quite a heavy knife, not something for neck carry (unless of course you have no neck, enter Mr Universe), the steel is a high quality laminate, it is reasonably low maintanence and once you get used to sharpening the convex grind it is quite easy to keep shaving sharp.

One of the guys mentioned that it casts one of the best showers of sparks on a firesteel from the spine that you will get. If you don't like the handle rehandle it or get one of the blade blanks and make your own handle and sheath.

I would suggest handling one before you buy, try and get to a meet at some stage the chances are that someone there will have one. As a couple of the others have mentioned knife choice is a very personal thing and even though Joe doesn't personally like it he can see that it has a very good rep.

Neil1's F1 has been slightly reprofiled and carves wood a lot better than the original.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
We did a Fallkniven group buy on another forum I'm a part of and I got an F1. I am no big fan of stainless OR of rubber handles but the F1 fits my hand perfectly and the edge is so keen it really won me over. When I'm hiking mostly dry I'll still take my thinner bladed nessmuk but if it's looking to be wet I'm gonna take the F1. Going to Falls of the Cheat next weekend and taking the F1 on it's first backpack. I have used it a lot around the house and have been VERY impressed. :beerchug:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I like the F1 but i don't use it now i have an H1, the H1 just fills my hands better and i don't get the same "hot spots" that i get with the F1 after sustained use.
bob1.jpg

The Helle Eggen is a great knife in laminated stainless.
441_4110_1a.jpg

Best to handle as many as you can before buying, all are good knives but the best knife is the one that is most comfortable for you.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
CLEM said:
What is the cost of the blades on there own?

Unfortunately about the same price as a standard F1 (and the standard one will come with a sheath) :eek:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
rapidboy said:
Unfortunately about the same price as a standard F1 (and the standard one will come with a sheath) :eek:
Mmmmmm,have to buy the whole thing and rehandle then I guess.Thank's Rapidboy!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Not quite as simple as that, the factory knives with the thermolium handle use a different blade blank and if your going to use one of those you will need to treat it as a mortised tang.
If you want to put wooden scales on an F1 a proper bare blade blank is the easiest option but it will work out more expensive.
Do a search on here and im sure you will find all the info.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
rapidboy said:
Not quite as simple as that, the factory knives with the thermolium handle use a different blade blank and if your going to use one of those you will need to treat it as a mortised tang.
If you want to put wooden scales on an F1 a proper bare blade blank is the easiest option but it will work out more expensive.
Do a search on here and im sure you will find all the info.
Thanks once again Rapidboy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE