The dreaded midge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Well its getting near the time of year again when the dreaded midge feeds viciously on us sweet blooded ones. I was wondering what everyone used to keep them at bay. I've tried most of the usual suspects including the 'skin so soft' stuff that a lot of people swear by. I've had varying degrees of success but none worked brilliantly.

I read recently that someone was developing a repellent that was GUARANTEED to work 100% but now can't find the website I read it on.

So, What do you use and how successful was it?

All the best.........Ian

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
Midge hood or jacket,jungle formula on hands, someone said to eat lots of black pepper in your food???. The locals here drink copious amounts of whisky and smoke nuclear strength ciggys , doesnt stop the midge biting but after a couple o butts and a half bottle of XXX ,no one seems to complain.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get eaten alive :sigh: The little blighters love me :(

However, a Beatons midgie jacket and Autan.........a deetless sort of deet.......seems to be working :D :D

cheers,
M

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
Am I being daft, or was there some mention on this site some time ago, of an Avon product that worked even though it was not designed for anti-midge benefits?

Can someone remind me please? And was it as good as I seem to remember people saying?

:confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
skin so soft , and it doesn't work for everybody :sigh:.......and I don't like the acrid citronella smell either.
Lots of folks swear by it though.

cheers,
Toddy

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I have recently bought a head net for £2.50 and will be buying more Skin So soft soon.

I have only used the Woodland Formula spray but I know others are available but not sure how effective they are.

Richard

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have no idea other than a really smoky fire and a bee suit but i have got rid of all of the midges and mosquitoes that i normally get on my pond with carnivorous plants, so when i cant make it to the great outdoors i am midge free while carving something in my garden :D

you could always camp in a desert...

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Noisy, last word, annoying, never wrong and bites. Hmmmm coincidence

not phil its somebody else honest

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I get eaten alive :sigh: The little blighters love me :(

However, a Beatons midgie jacket and Autan.........a deetless sort of deet.......seems to be working :D :D

cheers,
M

Thanks for the reminder on the jacket, just put in an order, handy to have. I might start stocking up on anti midge ill try the autan is it any "good" for ticks to?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Beaton jacket although I started using the Nordic Summer stuff last year and it worked really well. You still get them flying about in your face but they don't want to land.

Thanks for the reminder on the jacket, just put in an order, handy to have. I might start stocking up on anti midge ill try the autan is it any "good" for ticks to?

Nomad Travel do a permethrin spray for ticks Stu.

relfy

Nomad
I like the smell of that 'nordic summer' stuff (anyone else come across it?), which appears by looking and smelling, to be boiled down wood tar. Probably full of carcinogens and lovely noxious things :) and I'm not sure it even works cos midges seem to have gone off me anyway for some reason (happily).... but its smells lovely!! And it comes in a little diddy tin and is solid, which is always good.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Indeed, if you find yourself in an area with lots of fantastically dressed midges singing show tunes you know to stop for the night.
unfortunatly this is few and far between ;)

my Skin So Soft has just shown up and my highland patches are getting a workout this thurs whilst i'm away. i reckon with the weekend warmth the midges will be out in force come the end of this week!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Rich Stoo...........Tsk Tsk!! I thought it was agreed that this would not be mentioned anymore!!

I am ordering 4 jackets for out family trip this year................ knoydarts looking likley!!
Yikes!!!

Rich where is that Nordic Summer from? was that the stuff that smelt like creosote!!

I might get lucky swmbo loves the smell of cresote!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich Stoo...........Tsk Tsk!! I thought it was agreed that this would not be mentioned anymore!!

I don't know what you mean mate, I'm just refering to the label on the bottle :rolleyes:

I am ordering 4 jackets for out family trip this year................ knoydarts looking likley!!
Yikes!!!

Rich where is that Nordic Summer from? was that the stuff that smelt like creosote!!

I might get lucky swmbo loves the smell of cresote!!

Kind of a smokey emulsion kind of smell, a bit hard to describe really but definitely smokey. Carol hates it :dunno:

Uncle Ray used to be the best bet as he didn't charge p&p for goods under a tenner, I can't see it on there anymore but it is here ..

http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/buy-online-wilmas-nordic-summer-insect-repellent-113.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE