The dog ate my leatherwork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
It was enough to make a grown man weep.

I was really pleased with it. A nice little sheath for my Opinel no.8. being new to leatherwork I was dead chuffed with how it had turned out as I had winged the design as I went along on account of making it out of an offcut and having to compromise to get it to fit the piece.

Most of the work had been finished and I was lovingly polishing away when family duties called and I was hauled out to the shops for a spot of Christmas shopping. Returning home I walked into the living room and the first thing I saw was a polishing cloth on the floor. PANIC - sheath missing from the arm of the chair & one sheepish looking dog hopefully wagging its tail. The shameless hussy even showed me where she’d hidden it under a cushion.

It took a lot of tidying up and polishing with doggy hide [joking but its been warned] the result wasn’t to bad – has a certain “distressed” look.

PC070004.jpg

PC070006.jpg

Taken with flash the colours are a bit off - In reality somewhere between the two shades above.

Good job the culprit's a toy poodle and not a "proper" dog. I'm still trying to find out what she did with the leather sowing thimble.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:lmao: Brilliant! I know you can buy hats that elephants eat (apparently) so why not a knife sheath for little dogs to munch? Still looks an excellent bit of leatherwork to me, well done.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Looks good - especially the "lived in look". You should let your dog chew everything you make - it could be the bushcraft equivalent of designer stubble.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, I agree, that could be your style, it would set you apart and there's a lot of people would think it was cool..At least knowing people I think they would :headbang: As you say, lucky it's not a big dog :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks great mate - but blaming it on your dog! - that's the oldest homework excuse going and I don't believe you for one minute:rolleyes: I think you need to write 100 lines for that one......

'I must not abandon my homework to go Christmas shopping!'

Seriously though, nice one mate! - looking forward to the next!;)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
It was enough to make a grown man weep.

I was really pleased with it. A nice little sheath for my Opinel no.8. being new to leatherwork I was dead chuffed with how it had turned out as I had winged the design as I went along on account of making it out of an offcut and having to compromise to get it to fit the piece.

Most of the work had been finished and I was lovingly polishing away when family duties called and I was hauled out to the shops for a spot of Christmas shopping. Returning home I walked into the living room and the first thing I saw was a polishing cloth on the floor. PANIC - sheath missing from the arm of the chair & one sheepish looking dog hopefully wagging its tail. The shameless hussy even showed me where she’d hidden it under a cushion.

It took a lot of tidying up and polishing with doggy hide [joking but its been warned] the result wasn’t to bad – has a certain “distressed” look.

Good job the culprit's a toy poodle and not a "proper" dog. I'm still trying to find out what she did with the leather sowing thimble.

Have a look in your back garden in a couple of days.;)

Smart looking sheath and none the worse for the "character" applied by your dog.

As one who suffers from the same type of problem (bigger dog) may I remind you that it's your fault for leaving stuff where the dog can grab it.:p

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As a teacher who has had the homework he is trying to mark chewed by a three and a half stone, 7 month old setter I feel you are one lucky bugger to have got off lightly.

Bit of Kiwi and you're onto a winner with that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE