The darndest thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'm in the North West UK and just saw my first butterfly of the year - a big red admiral on my garage door. It fanned its wings in the sun and fluttered away.

That's the earliest I've ever seen one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do butterflies do during the Winter normally ?

We've still got big moths about, and the bats were out before Christmas too.

M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There was a Living world prog on recently and they are one of the species that can tolerate freezing body conditions hibernate.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This might interest some people..
[h=2]I've found a butterfly in my house/garage - what should I do?[/h] Several species of butterfly hibernate in the UK - Brimstone, Comma, Large Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. In recent years, with climate change, we're also starting to see the successful overwintering of Clouded Yellow and Red Admiral. Such species tend to look for sheltered areas in which to hibernate, which is why they are sometimes seen in houses and garages. However, an unnaturally warm environment, such as a house that is centrally heated, can be quite detrimental since the butterfly will become active and use up the essential body fats that will see it through the winter. The best thing to do is to be "cruel to be kind". One option is to place the butterfly in a cold and dark environment and out of the way of predators, such as in a log pile, an outhouse, or a hollow tree. Alternatively, on the next sunny day that is sufficiently warm, release the individual outside so that it can find a more suitable location in which to hibernate itself.

Taken from this site, no connections etc....http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/faq.php

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I found a small tortoiseshell on the road on Jan 6th, it had been a mild day, but the butterfly was now slowing down as it started to get colder in the evening ,I dont have a shed so i let it go in the dark cellar of a old castle through the gunloop,

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I hope the poor buggers find a place to hide. then again, I bet there's plenty of birds who could do with nice big snack this time of year. I bet a red Admiral looks like a flying cheeseburger.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Saw a wasp today. Near death, hardly moving, but a wasp, none the less. Got a daffodil at my daughter's school with yellow head. Is it me, or does a lot of stuff seem very premature this year?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE