The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
SARS-CoV-2 is well used mr deekin. That's the real name for the virus and COVID-19 is the disease caused by it. We all seem to use the covid 19 tag for the virus it seems to me which is technically wrong.

For example when talking about avoiding the virus with hygiene and social distancing we should be using the SARS cov 2 not covid 19. When talking about people on ventilators, being ill and dying we should use covid 19. Media gets that wrong imho.

Of course one point I would make about your post and the quoted comments. All virus' replicate using cells they've entered to do the work not just sars cov 2. It's a very simple option for replication where the viral component doesn't need to provide the energy I guess needed.
Greatly appreciated.
Shall I pm any further information I seem postworthy to you first for proof reading, editing and correcting ?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, that is pretty clear!

New measures announced by BJ:

• From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
  • People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
  • Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
  • Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
  • All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close
  • Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
  • All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned
  • All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
  • Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
  • Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
  • Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
"to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”

So I work for a manufacturing company, you cannot make what this company makes at home. If people at this company are to work they need to travel. No way is the work they do absolutely necessary, it's only necessary for the turnover or cashflow of the company. Am I being obtuse here but to me it's not clear.

Are we supposed to keep the gears of industry turning through this even if it means traveling like normal? Some colleagues need to use public transport. Surely that's a way to spread it.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire

So I work for a manufacturing company, you cannot make what this company makes at home. If people at this company are to work they need to travel. No way is the work they do absolutely necessary, it's only necessary for the turnover or cashflow of the company. Am I being obtuse here but to me it's not clear.

Are we supposed to keep the gears of industry turning through this even if it means traveling like normal? Some colleagues need to use public transport. Surely that's a way to spread it.

I'm in the same situation, work have messaged saying they are open and to go in as the work is necessary, but its a factory, is that really necessary??

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In my case I asked and got permission to go part time to look after young child half the week. The bosses tried to pursuade me to work those days from home. So basically I could work from home at least part of the working week.

IMHO I don't need to go in so shouldn't but I would not be able to do the whole of my job and some of it would be problematic even when I could do some at home. However if I don't go in on this basis my bosses could see it as me not turning up when I should. Disciplinary?

This needs clarification. It's open to interpretation. IMHO it cannot be fully defined in a short phrase as part of a longer sentence. Are manufacturing companies ok to keep open if they're not producing something essential to fighting this virus?

In my case I've texted works manager. I'll not get an answer until after I'm supposed to be in work. Stupid lack of clarity IMHO.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I read it as "if you can work from home, work from home" if you can't you can travel into work. It's to nobody's benefit for all industry to come to a halt but there is a duty of care requirement for all employers to provide a safe working environment - if they can't (too crowded, no hand sanitation etc.) then you can't be made to go in. There will be 'unreasonable dismissal" claims after this I'm sure.

I suspect it's up to the company to decide when to close - the Government can't know the financial robustness of every company to make the decision for them or to end up liable for failure. A very difficult situation where there is no ideal solution IMHO

Reactions: BJJJ

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Manufacturing companies make... money... Tax to pay for all things the government needs, NHS staff, new ventilators, pensions.... We are all to some extent key members of the workforce. The gov't knows that manufacturing is still going on and you were told you could travel to and from work (if absolutely necessary)

They may take the decision to close down manufacturing at some point but until then I would expect to be going into work.

We're in a software company with some cloud infrastructure to look after and we were all told to work from home unless identified as critical.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......We always have washed hands on returning home. Heck! My partner even changes into home clothes.
I decided I was going to have a "going out" set of trousers. That way I don't have to worry about fishing things out of my pockets when at home, having also fished things out while out, after having touched doors or key pads.
One trick I've learned of is to wear plastic lightweight rain gear that can be quickly and easily washed down with bleach or dettol and left to dry outside the house . So preventing bringing infected clothing into the home.
You might look a bit silly on a warm dry day...... but who cares if it keeps the bug out of the home.!
Just a few minutes ago I watched a PSA regarding keeping your home covid free. One doctor showed his routine of changing his clothing as soon as he gets home and leaving his shoes outside.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY it is not factually correct so do not take the advice stated below....
This is a good example of untrue statements making the rounds.

Sent to me by my sister who works at a GP surgery.

Advice sent from the surgery to reception team to share....

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

This is the advice given to hospital staff.
It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.
Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

Sent in to us just now and we wanted to share this knowledge & advice with you all.

Please do the same and take care!

Last edited by a moderator:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Something doesn’t seem kosher though. It says to drink “hot” drinks because temperature over 80f kill it? Then how can it live in a human body at all? Normal body temp (including saliva and mucus at the point of entry) is 98.6f

Reactions: Nomad64

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Someone clearly wrote the first thing that came into their head.
So is it the virus that kills or the apparent hypothermia they must have to contract it?

Edit: thinking about it,it kind of does make sense as the old and susceptible can have a low body temperature when they get an infection or virus

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Someone clearly wrote the first thing that came into their head.
So is it the virus that kills or the apparent hypothermia they must have to contract it?

Edit: thinking about it,it kind of does make sense as the old and susceptible can have a low body temperature when they get an infection or virus

I’m not sure it was the first thing that came into their head, but it does raise a question. Excellent get out clause for an exhausted health worker to stop for a quick cuppa though. :)

I’ll try and find out. It mostly seems sound advice.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Now that I think about it, our ambient daytime highs here have been in the mid 80s all week. That would mean all contaminated surfaces would have been sterilized. Yet we’re still getting new cases.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Apologies to all, it’s fake news. Cheers sis.

Gin, used to steralise water that you use to mix your quinine with, citric acid is also beneficial. Clears the bacteria from the throat and sterilises the blood. The British raj has lessons for us all. Also too much bile can lead to gout, answer is more gin.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Damn seagulls understand social distancing better than humans... :/

90396835_10157310633843152_2574201963256217600_n.jpg

This would be better if they were Ducks for ( proverbial ) reasons...... :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Has anyone watched the full version of Ground Hog Day? After getting stuck in the same day, forever repeated, Phil Connors first acted up, stole, slept around and was a self centered glutton. Then he got bored, depressed and tried many creative ways to end his life, including driving off a cliff in a car driven by a woodchuck. Eventually he started using the time on his hands to do things he had never had time for, learning language, music, medicine...ice sculpture... and helping the community.

Thorin, Rowan and Erin watched it again a few days ago!! Then Shelly produced a book about the good principles that can be taken from the story :D

Reactions: santaman2000

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Apologies to all, it’s fake news. Cheers sis.

I’m gutted, the new travel restrictions and cancellation of all marriage ceremonies etc. will probably mean that the gorgeous Russian lady that I have been corresponding with for the last few months will be unable to fly over for our wedding which I had planned for the summer. A real shame, I have been looking forward to meeting her for the first time - I would show you some of the pictures she sent me but they are not really suitable for a “family friendly” forum like this. ;).

At least there were no problems transferring the money for the flight (first class tickets are not cheap but my fiance is a classy lady), and the good news is that her mother is doing well after the operation I paid for although the ongoing care is a bit expensive - thank heavens we have the NHS here! :)

Sadly the coronavirus seems to have caused chaos with the Nigerian banking system. There seems to be no problem transferring funds from the UK to Nigeria as the representatives if the Nigerian prince I have been doing a lucrative deal with say they have received my payment. They have assured me that as soon as the banks reopen, I will be a very rich man indeed - which is just as well as Svetlana has somewhat expensive tastes! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE