The 'Challenge The Person Above You' Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I except !! Do we post pics to prove we have done it? Cheers JB
Yeah, that's the plan.The main aim is to keep regular challenges for those who want them flowing in :)I've been out today and I 'think' I found oyster mushrooms. I've got photos prepared :)All the time I 'think' though, I'm not prepared to fry them up, lol... One day. Wheb I get the confidence :). Someone to challenge shnoop next, let's keep him busy ;) ( nice challenge for JB shnoop :) )

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Took the dog for a walk with the missus round some local woods and had a crack at my challenge.

1) Birch bark, found a fallen Silver Birch.

016.jpg

2) Cramp ball

025.jpg

3) Rosebay Willow-Herb

027.jpg

4) Thistle Down

019.jpg

5) I'd hoped to find a Horses Hoof Fungus or some Clematis vine but no joy today. Made some feather sticks from a bit of beech I had knocking around. Turns out I'm not very good at it :eek:.

028.jpg

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Nice Work Copper_head :). I found quite a few cramp balls on my searches for edible fungi this weekend (I didn't take any thought because I already have some dried out specimens at home)

I've two mushrooms to go. I have seen many mushrooms but I am only certain about three of them being edible. Hopefully in the first half of this week I can find the next two.

(Not got enough confidence to eat them, no courage needed... just more certainty! Some I was 99% sure.... but, there is always that extra 1% to gain (then +10% too!))

Looks like you need someone to come along with a new challenge for you now ;)

I'll hopefully be along in the coming days with photos of my finds :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have just completed my challenge and I am going to post the results in a second

But first of all, Shnoop & copper_head
I've a challenge for you both if you wish to accept it :):

Since it's autumn and the berries on the trees are all ripening perhaps a berry picker would be an ideal challenge.
For example, http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/making a berry picker.htm

Feel free to devise your own design and use completely different materials, techniques, whatever.

Or if you want something more challenging, just shout and I or someone else can devise something new... but this seems like a 'timely' challenge.

Here are the results of my challenge set by copper_head who challenged me to find 5 edible fungi.... I didn't eat any, not confident enough yet :)

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Mushroom 1 - Oyster Mushrooms
On Fridays 'Foray' I noticed a felled tree in the distance with loads of white fungi growing from it, I believe I found oyster mushrooms from the looks, feel and smell of them.

Mushroom 2 - Parasol Mushroom
On Sundays 'Foray' I found a patch of these, this one being the largest specimen. They had white free-from-the-stem gills and a ring on the stem also with no volva, I believe this there fore is a parasol mushroom

Mushroom 3 - Puffball (albiet, quite eaten)
On Saturday also I found this rather eaten specimen of a puffball. If I were to eat this, I would cut it in half (at least!) to make sure there is no embryo outline of another fungus and that the texture inside was similar in looks to cream cheese. I realise just how handy it would be to have a knife to take out when hunting for mushrooms.

Mushroom 4 - Chicken of the Woods
Today I popped out quickly after work and before tea to see if I can find my final 2 mushrooms and I found chicken of the woods

Mushroom 5 - Beefsteak fungus
Just as I was about to walk off to find my fifth fungus I spotted a glimpse of red out the corner of my eye on the same very old oak tree and I believe what I have found here is a beefsteak fungus. I poked it, naturally, as you do and it was so soft and squidgy like a hunk of raw beef... but again, no knife on this mushroom hunt otherwise I would have expected if I cut out a small chunk it would look akin to a piece of steak.

Looking for my next challenge now :)
Challenge me!

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have just completed my challenge and I am going to post the results in a second

But first of all, Shnoop & copper_head
I've a challenge for you both if you wish to accept it :):

Since it's autumn and the berries on the trees are all ripening perhaps a berry picker would be an ideal challenge.
For example, http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/making a berry picker.htm

Feel free to devise your own design and use completely different materials, techniques, whatever.

Or if you want something more challenging, just shout and I or someone else can devise something new... but this seems like a 'timely' challenge.

Here are the results of my challenge set by copper_head who challenged me to find 5 edible fungi.... I didn't eat any, not confident enough yet :)

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Mushroom 1 - Oyster Mushrooms
On Fridays 'Foray' I noticed a felled tree in the distance with loads of white fungi growing from it, I believe I found oyster mushrooms from the looks, feel and smell of them.

Mushroom 2 - Parasol Mushroom
On Sundays 'Foray' I found a patch of these, this one being the largest specimen. They had white free-from-the-stem gills and a ring on the stem also with no volva, I believe this there fore is a parasol mushroom

Mushroom 3 - Puffball (albiet, quite eaten)
On Saturday also I found this rather eaten specimen of a puffball. If I were to eat this, I would cut it in half (at least!) to make sure there is no embryo outline of another fungus and that the texture inside was similar in looks to cream cheese. I realise just how handy it would be to have a knife to take out when hunting for mushrooms.

Mushroom 4 - Chicken of the Woods
Today I popped out quickly after work and before tea to see if I can find my final 2 mushrooms and I found chicken of the woods

Mushroom 5 - Beefsteak fungus
Just as I was about to walk off to find my fifth fungus I spotted a glimpse of red out the corner of my eye on the same very old oak tree and I believe what I have found here is a beefsteak fungus. I poked it, naturally, as you do and it was so soft and squidgy like a hunk of raw beef... but again, no knife on this mushroom hunt otherwise I would have expected if I cut out a small chunk it would look akin to a piece of steak.

Looking for my next challenge now :)
Challenge me!

Nice one emdiesse! I'm up for another challenge, although I ain't got the tools for the berry picker....

But challenge me

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Alrighty then..I challenge you to, using just a single tool (plus a cooking container), to start a fire by friction, make a cooking implement to eat/cook with, and to cook a meal using only foraged ingredients..is that a bit too much?

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
I accept your challenge Emdiesse! Won't get out till weekend though!! And well done on your mushroom challenge! I think I would have struggled with that one! Not a big mushroom lover lol

@Emdiesse I challenge you too sterilise 1 pint'ish of water.. Going out with just your knife and using whatever u can find :) hehe

Last edited:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I accept your challenge Emdiesse! Won't get out till weekend though!! And well done on your mushroom challenge! I think I would have struggled with that one! Not a big mushroom lover lol

@Emdiesse I challenge you too sterilise 1 pint'ish of water.. Going out with just your knife and using whatever u can find :) hehe

Challenge Accepted Mate, I'm excited :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I've just realised the terms do not include a pot, with just a knife I can imagine it'll be VERY difficult.
I'm going to give it a good go though, at least right up until I have my shoulder surgery (doh!)

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Ok due to work I am not going to be able to do the salad challenge as I am inner city bound, so if you want to challenge me something else feel free, if not i will get on it next week when I get back to the country side!,

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
I challenge thee, Munkiboi182, to ignore thine tinder bundle with the rays of the holy sun. Does thou acceptest my thy challenge, or be you a knave and shirk from ye honour bound duty?! :p

I complete forgot about this. My apologies.

good sir I accept your challenge and have made it harder for myself now that the sun has hidden itself for the next six months

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE