The 'Challenge The Person Above You' Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I've had this idea, and I have no idea how well it'll work however let's give it a try.

Basically...
The rules are really simple
  • Give a Bushcraft challenge the 'last challenger' above you - K.I.S.S
  • Accept the challenge of your challenger (Or provide an exceptional circumstance why you can't and wait for another challenge!)

When you post, write
  • Challenge me! - to accept challenges
  • No more, no more! - if you want to get out the thread cycle!

A little more detail, if you like...

The rules for the challenger are simple:
  • Give a bushcraft challenge to the person above you.
  • Please use @<username> - to challenge the right person and avoid confusion.
  • Keep.It.Simple.Stupid.
  • Something any normal person can squeeze into their week.
  • The materials for the challenge are easily obtained (preferably responsibly from the wild, especially not expensive*)
  • Something that only requires the kit that every typical bushcrafter will probably have in their arsenal.
*no more than a few quid?

A few examples could be:

• Make a bow & drill set.
  • Identify 5 trees near where you live.
  • Experiment with a way of obtaining water from the wild.

The rules for the challengee are also simple:
  • They MUST accept the challenge (Except maybe in exceptional circumstances*).
  • The needn't successfully complete the challenge, but should show to have made the effort to try.
  • You may use the forums to your advantage!
  • When you have completed your challenge... and it doesn't really matter HOW long it takes you - post the photos of your challenge and give a short write up.

*Exceptional Circumstances for refusal of challenge?

I need help defining this one but basically you should state
Refused Challenge: followed by why... or
Request for Alternative: followed by your (similar) alternative and reason why you want to alter it

e.g.

• Refused Challenge: Because taking my clothes of and posting the video on YouTube doesn't seem very Bushcrafty or suitable for a family-friendly forum.
  • Request for Alternative: &#8203;I'm concerned about the idea of picking a wild edible and eating it because I lack the skills and I really don't want to mix up my wild carrot with hemlock :(. I'd prefer at this stage to simply go out and identify wild plants, say 5?

Then perhaps another member (inc. Challenger) should agree to your excuse and give you a new challenge?

else... crack on! :)

Challenge me! (eek! :))

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok a challenge for you. Find 5 edible fungi, cook them up if you feel comfortable eating them.

So challenge me!

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Current Challenges
Emdiesse challenged by copper_head to "Find 5 edible fungi, cook them up if you feel comfortable eating them" - Outcome Pending
Mick721 challenged by mountainm to "Make some natural cordage. Not much but enough to demonstrate it's usefulness" - Outcome Pending

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
We seem to have missed a few people (mountainm), that is assuming they want to be challenged - but either way... also feel free to challenge multiple people if they haven't already been challenged - it's really just a case of giving those who want to learn new skills, practice old skills an incentive... and reallly who can honestly say they DON'T need a challenge :p

I was going to start writing a to do list meself but I figured this was far more random and more fun as a community :).

My Current Challenge: "Find 5 edible fungi, cook them up if you feel comfortable eating them." copper_head

I hope to get a good Foray in this weekend!

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
We seem to have missed a few people (mountainm), that is assuming they want to be challenged - but either way... also feel free to challenge multiple people if they haven't already been challenged - it's really just a case of giving those who want to learn new skills, practice old skills an incentive... and reallly who can honestly say they DON'T need a challenge :p

I was going to start writing a to do list meself but I figured this was far more random and more fun as a community :).

My Current Challenge: "Find 5 edible fungi, cook them up if you feel comfortable eating them." copper_head

I hope to get a good Foray in this weekend!

The current list (assuming my tracking is up-to-date) is:

Current Challenges
Emdiesse challenged by copper_head to "Find 5 edible fungi, cook them up if you feel comfortable eating them" - Accepted - Outcome Pending
Mick721 challenged by mountainm to "Make some natural cordage. Not much but enough to demonstrate it's usefulness" - Accepted - Outcome Pending

mountainm needs to be challenged (as my post was merely giving a track of challengers/challenges/challengees). mountainm, do you accept munkiboi182's "Carve a Spoon"challenge?

munkiboi182, do you accept Phaestos's challenge to ignite a tinder bundle using sunrays?

Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I challenge thee, Munkiboi182, to ignore thine tinder bundle with the rays of the holy sun. Does thou acceptest my thy challenge, or be you a knave and shirk from ye honour bound duty?! :p

Damn and blast! I meant ignite! You know how us ancient folk have difficulty with your modern lingo :p

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The current list (assuming my tracking is up-to-date) is:

mountainm needs to be challenged (as my post was merely giving a track of challengers/challenges/challengees). mountainm, do you accept munkiboi182's "Carve a Spoon"challenge?

munkiboi182, do you accept Phaestos's challenge to ignite a tinder bundle using sunrays?

I'd love to add to my carved spoon collection but I doubt i'll have time this week. A less time consuming project would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I will join, who do I challenge?
I think thing have gotten a little confusing, but I'd say start with mountainm then someone else can challenge you and then someone else them and so on and so forth :)I'm sure we can get this to work, it should be fairly straight forward once we've got the swing of things

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE