The Bucket Forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
At the countryside live show this weekend I met a chap called Mark Constable who was doing a smithing demo with something aptly dubbed the bucket forge.

3e386c34-6e37-baad.jpg

I was taken with the simplicity of this solution and aim to be giving it a try soon.

Find out more:
www.bucketforge.co.uk

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Marks a top bloke. I met him at Elvaston woodland festival while I was working there.
He's very happy to pass on his ideas and experience, and I'll definatey be making a bucket forge as its perfect for scandi blades.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
What a great, simple idea!!

Is this really all there is to it? A bucket with (char)coal and a footpump?
How does the hose handle the heat, I wonder.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Looking at the site it is a double walled design. So a bucket inside a bucket. Very interesting, i wouldn't mind seeing more pics of the construction of such a forge or similar.

Hello all, J. Griswold, IronAngel Forge here!

It's great to see the bucket forge idea I came up with back in '92 or so is finally starting to catch on!! I have not been able to get folks in the states to realize how handy these little guys are, and inexpensive as well! Please continue to spread the word, and if you have any questions or comments, I will try to be as helpful as I am able!

A couple quick notes: If you are not using a metal bucket, be very sure your clay (or cement rim) goes ALL the way to the top edge. It makes it weigh more to move, but keeps your bucket from catching fire. If you inlet tilts downward at all, you may want to put a small bit of expanded metal or screen inside the tube, held in place with a nail or two. I had a pvc inlet pipe melt though when a nice bit of hot clinker rolled down into it many years back. Suddenly I was getting half the air blast and it took a moment to solve why. (The pvc was a connector from the metal pipe to the small bellows - not the main inlet). Once in a while, you may want to wet your clay just a bit and smooth out the cracks that will form. It will help to keep the clinker from sticking to the clay and making worse clinkers down the road.

Thanks for your time all!

So... what to use for an anvil?

Funny you should ask... I have been writing on field expedient and/or cheap anvil substitutes this week. Many folk say I beams or a section of rail. If you go this route, wrap it in heavy chain, bolted fast. The chain will deaden some of the very high pitched ring and help save your hearing (but still wear hearing protection when you can). If the loop of chain is loose enough, it can be unslung and used as a carry handle. Coating the body with something like rubberized truck bed liner or the like also helps, but may catch fire if you are unfortunate. If it does, throw some sand on it and keep working.

Other handy items;

-a section of thick plate; check any machine shop that has a water jet cutter. Or scrap yards that service them. A 4" round section of 1" plate will work reasonably well, though it is going to bounce. Glue it to a decent block of wood with rubber cement to help reduce the bounce and get it up in the air a bit so you are not stooped over trying to work. If possible, file or grind the edge into a radius; it is more serviceable, will allow you to use it to shoulder hot stock, and is far safer to the user than a square edge is.

-a large section of heavy walled pipe with a disc (as mentioned above) welded to one end. Fill the pipe with sand, then weld on a base plate with angled braces to build a "post" anvil. The sand adds weight and reduces ring. Very hard to pack in though.

-make a portable anvil. Again, a heavy bit of steel, preferably about 4 to 6" long by half as wide by 1 1/2 to 2" deep. Drill a 3/8" hole into each side (opposite each other), and mount a bail handle to carry it or tie it to a pack (then dig a ground forge and work on site). I am screwing around with a pack in kit that is a tweer (air blast pipe), a backpack mounted bellows, a small portable anvil, two pairs of tongs and two hammers, all mounted to a canvas pack for bush work. Such a rig would be fired with charcoal made on site (which is usually better than store bought) and as such, the kit will require a small camp axe for charcoal making. Of course, a proper fire kit to light it all would be in order as well, though a lighter and paper is a bit quicker.

-other heavy bits can be used as an anvil in a pinch. In the past, I have used a section of car axle (hard to keep from rolling, great for drawing points, not worth a crap for big flat work like blades), a manhole cover (cast iron, while heavy, tends to crumble under the hammer), and the ball from a tow hitch (the flat spot on top was about 1" in dia... it was a field expedient repair that had to be made, I wouldn't suggest this unless you are only doing small things like arrow points or fish hooks). Even smooth bits of granite can be used, and some Scandinavian anvils were basalt or granite (wear decent eye protection and an apron, a missed blow with a hammer can cause a spray of chips and debris, and do bad things to your "anvil"). In an extreme pinch, concrete can be used, but it WILL crumble under the hammer.

The trick is to use the correct hammer for the "anvil" used in these cases; a smaller hammer puts more force in a small area, hopefully keeping the anvil bounce to a minimum. It makes the smith work harder however. A larger hammer, used gently can be used on a smaller anvil. The usual rule of thumb I've often heard from the old timers was 50lbs of anvil per pound of hammer. That said I use a one handed 10 pounder on a 125 pound anvil at times. Somewhere I have a photo someone took of me that shows a clear 1/2" of light under the anvil, making it appear to be floating that shows just how much wasted force I was putting into bouncing the anvil that day. Ah well, it looked great to the boy scouts and parents watching!

The big trick is think creatively; "can I hit that and not break it? Hit it a LOT? Can I carry it about?" if all these questions are answered with a yes, that should work. Granted, a proper anvil is a highly specialized tool, with a number of features that an anvil stand in will not have (a horn, pritchel and hardie, cutting table and radius shoulders - all very handy), but it will get you out there and making things, and that's the best way I know of to learn! Read, study then DO IT! Have fun!

Thanks for reading my long ramble here! I'm going to go make a bit of weird damascus.

Aw crud... is there an "edit" button I have missed?

I should have put in, but forgot:

When just starting out, you can use the side of a large sledge hammer as a sort of anvil. Stand on the handle or hold it tightly in a vice so it doesn't pop up and smack you. Try to only strike your hot steel on the side of the head that is solid, not over the eye where the handle passes through. A 12lb sledge (5.5kilo) isn't all that uncommon, so you might be able to find one at an estate sale. Then when you have an actual anvil, you can really move some metal, or build a helve hammer out of it (and someone please remind me at some point - I really need to write up the article on the "bush helve hammer" we came up with years back... it's really handy, if a bit insane looking).

Sorry to have posted such a wall of text here on my first visit, I can bore you for hours with this stuff!

I just posted a new lesson that may be of some interest to bush crafters out there: building a ground forge (aka a hole in the ground forge, pit forge or African forge). Feel free to share!

http://ironangelforge.blogspot.com/2011/10/blacksmith-lessons-ground-forge.html

This is essentially the bucket forge in it's most basic form, and can be made in the field in a few minutes when ever needed. If I missed anything, or if anything is unclear, please let me know! Thanks all!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My own forge is an old wok, with a tuet made from a broken tent pole (wombled from the rubbish heep at the end of a Moot a couple of years back) with an airbed pump as the air source.
The wok sits on some wombled Night Storage Heater bricks on top of a knackered Blackspur clone of a B&D Workmate.
I have only used it to make Strikers for Flint and Steel sets and pot hooks - so far - but it suits my needs (cheap) and goes well with my railway-line anvil set on a stump from a tree that fell across the road outside my house :) - old pliers for tongs, a couple of old hammers to do the work.
I have not been forging for quite a while due to Tennis Elbow (perhaps better kit might avoid this in future...maybe not....) but it is all waiting for when I am fully recovered again :)

Fantastic John!

I love people who use re-purposed items to build forges! Your tennis elbow may be cause by (or aggravated by) your anvil height. The easy way to check; stand next to your anvil with your hand clenched into a fist. The knuckles of your hand should be flat on the top of the anvil. Higher will strain the upper arm, near the elbow, lower will strain the lower back and back of the shoulder in many people (different builds and holds on the hammer may alter this). Also, hold your hammer reasonably loosely and use the shoulder to move your arm more than your arm muscles, keeping the elbow at a 90 degree angle. Your hand is tighter at the first two fingers, the rear two more or less "snap" closed on impact if you really want to move some steel. You do not need to really get a death grip on the hammer, just tight enough to keep it square and not fly out of your hand. Wearing gloves makes it harder to tell how hard you are holding it, but reduces the impact up into the arm slightly. Another option is to use a lighter hammer with a more flexible handle. This will cause the hammer to spring slightly on impact and also reduce vibration into the arm, but it will take longer to move the same amount of steel, so it can be something of a trade off. Also, check how you stand, a wider stance, with the rear foot at a 30 degree angle away from your lead foot may reduce stress on the elbow. I can not recall where I found this info though, and I can't seem to find it right now... try it and see if it helps any, if you feel like it.

Note here - for female smiths this height is different! Due to how their arms and muscle structure work, lower is better for them! I will have to write that up... I keep forgetting to.

If everything is set right, and these techniques don't help, there is an old way of hammering that causes the body to rise and fall, with the hammer moving almost straight up and down that changes where the stress on the body falls. I don't have links on that but I should be able to come up with it if someone would like to try it.

At the end of the day, try icing your arm for 10-15 minutes and see if that helps too. A soak in warm epsom salt bath, then back to the ice again. The ice reduces swelling, while heat will cause it. Also look into wrist stretches if you get a chance, they help me a ton (another article I probably need to write... body maintenance for blacksmiths!).

I realize you may have already tried this, just throwing out some things I do in case you may have missed one in the mix!

What fuel are you using if I may ask John?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE