The Blade Of Buddliness, Finally Clothed!!!...Dedicated To Chris Da Cat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi everyone...

i guess this post is sort of a prologue to my up-coming wilderness gathering write-up...

Sir Chris gave me a good telling off for not bringing along my Greenman hilting effort to the w.g. ...he has been waiting nearly a year to see it lol! in the week leading up i had planned to do a make-shift sheath for it for safety as well as to protect from accidental damage but just didnt get round to it....so....

here i am, as usual, slopping around in post-gathering blues....also still very VERY sore that i couldnt make it to the moot as well...and, just as last year, i have no motivation, cant concentrate....blah blah....won't say more as i dont want to spoil the write-up. anyway....as therapy i decided to do a sheath for the knife....so Chris, at least when you finally get to hold it you will be holding the completed article!!! (as for Sir Dave, you can stroke it on monday....thats gonna really annoy Chris lol!)

ok....seeings as Sir Daves work is so unique i decided to try and step outside of my own creative box and do something a bit aesthetically different as well as structurally different...it took me three attempts...over 2 days...the first 2 went in the bin when virtually completed as i wasnt happy....4mm shoulder, monster welt, handstitched with artificial sinew, its dyed a very dark brown with green mixed in and polished with 3 layers of black finsh and painted with edgekote. i decided to both rivet and stitch the belt loop down...i'm no more a fan of rivets than anyone else but i've got to admit i think a rivet there is sensible as if by wear or accident the stitching goes theres that to hold it place for an age. the belt loop has been burnished (as have all edges) and grooved and i decided to attach an antique brass d-ring to match the knife a little. i've tried to make the sheath so exactly that it grips pretty much equally at the handles leading edges as well as with the strap. also...i've left space inside the sheath so that even in time, should the leather slightly loosen or wear, the knife can continue to be pushed in and be gripped the same (hence the 3 attempts). i've also made a little cut-out at the top of the sheath as well as shaped it to....i dunno...feel free to laugh....to be more ''orc-ish''....nasty, mean.....i dunno.....daves knives just look to me like the sort of thing sauron would collect. and thats a compliment lol.

this week i'll be re-doing it all again though...i'm going to change it so that the poppers do up at the back. i think that will make it look more balanced and will of course help to eliminate accidental opening....this will also enable me to do a nice embossed decorative border like the g.b. set i did a couple of weeks ago. and if i remember i'll take pictures and do a w.i.p. for this one.

so....love it or hate it!!! (and please let it rip!)....drum roll.....lol!

lololololololol!!!! the flippin links dont work for the first time ever!!! haha!!! hold on brb....

and heres the knife for anyone who missed it, Greenman blade by Sir Dave Budd...stabilised oak burl impregnated with green resin, dark green and brass liners with 2 brass corbys:

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Joy of joys my friend!
Echos of Daves work in his GreenMan sheath ( did you know that,or happy accident!?)
Dave will love it, I certainly do!!
Wish I was comming down with you mate.
All love to da family.
Oh,pm sent re-SFA mask buddy!!

Love and peace.

da C.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Very nice Sonni :) Are you sure you want to re do it again?! I see what Chris means about shades of my usual sheath, but still very different and certainly out of your usual creative box.

I've never been 100% about straps/cuffs like that, but that's probably down to slicing through too many (or blunting knives on poppers) as a kid. On the flip side, the whole thing works as a nice sleek and slightly orcish package :) I look forward to stroking your creative work soon....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clothed and cossetted and you'll not lose that one :D
Beautiful colours throughout; wasn't sure I'd like green resin, but it works, it really does :D The whole set does.

cheers,
Toddy

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...thanks everyone, means a lot on this one....going to be left for my son....so yup dave i'm going to re-do....and anyway....i've a pile of daves blades sitting here to be hilted so i cant complain myself lol! the set of 3 i got are going to be done in oak (which i'm going to steal from dave on monday when his backs turned) and then blackened with iron mordant....again thanks to daves instruction.

is a happy accident chris, though i've probably held several unknowingly and as dave tends to dye each sheath differently i probably didnt realise they were for the greenman....especially as i've hilted mine in a different way i didnt make the link.....i try not to study other peoples work too much when i'm developing something myself as i believe theres a thin line between inspiration and plagiarism....i've soaked up enough of daves general style to help me where needed but yeah its difficult trying to think outside of your own head as such....and to try and match his level is of course something i'll always aspire to (i bet hes gettin a big head).

anyway....i still keep picking it up and cant quite make me mind up so i'll get Mark II done next week.

regards!

a

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Absolutely cracking mate:D. As for a mark 2 version, we're always our own worst critics :rolleyes: and I think I'm very safe in saying that anyone would be proud to wear, own and use such beautiful work. A great family heirloom in the making goodjob

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Two points

Stunning knife. I love Daves work, that oak is amazing and the job you have done is perfection.

Cracking sheath. As above, you are your own worst enemy ;) The style is great and the lines and welt are perfect. The studs work well by the looks but I do admit I'd be interested to see the Sam Browns version too :)

Great work as ever and looking forward to a WIP

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Sonni thats a real looker, Love the thing you did with it and the sheath, it really suits it in my opinion.
Awesome job you're doin!
Yours sincerely Ruud

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That is stunning! Love the handle material, the green resin works really well - the sheath is also lovely. Looks like it'll make a cracking heirloom! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE