The best way to attach an axe to a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I've just bought a Karrimor Sabre 45, with some side pockets which i am very pleased with. However i was wondering how or what is the best way to attach my gransfors axe to it, using which straps?

thanks

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I remember a post made by Sandbender, which contained a computer made drawing. In this he placed his axe between a side pocket and the main sack, head of the axe put up ...

EDIT: The drawing is mentioned is this post: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5197&highlight=sabre+sandbender, but Sandbender's homepage is offline ... :rolleyes: I'll put a copy of it up (think he don't mind).

Here you go:
Sabre45pack.jpg

The pic is a wee bit small ... Photobucket seems to have it resized ... The axe is #14

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I don't have a Sabre, but my bergen has very similar side pockets, and I find that my SFA sits nicely in the gap between the main compartment and the side pocket. With mine I am able to thread one of the straps for the pocket through the belt loop on the axe mask to prevent it from ever falling out, but I don't know if you can do the same with the Sabre.

If you are using the axe mask that came with the axe, then any horizontal strap on the bergen could be threaded through the belt loop on the mask to hold it in place.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ahjno said:
I'll put a copy of it up (think he don't mind).

I am happy for anyone to use that drawing :)

The drawing was based on notes taken during a Woodlore course where their instructor was telling 'us' how 'he' organised his pack.

I have an SFA, a Sabre and about five other packs, I like to keep the axe head out of the weather when I'm walking so I pack my axe with the head under the top pocket, the helve is locked in place by putting it through the ice axe loop and the head is tied to the compression strap under the hood with a short piece of cord.

Here is a larger version of the drawing...

packing_a_sabre45_rucksack.jpg

Last edited:

leon-1

sandbender said:
I'm happy for anyone to use that drawing :)

The drawing was based on notes taken during a Woodlore course where their instructor was telling 'us' how 'he' organised his pack.

I have an SFA, a Sabre and about five other packs, I like to keep the axe head out of the weather when I'm walking so I pack my axe with the head under the top pocket, the helve is locked in place by putting it through the ice axe loop and the head is tied to the compression strap under the hood.

I do a similair thing, however my axe sits inside the main compartment out of the veiw of wary eyes and people who will scream blue murder at the site of one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE