The best Bushcraft Knife UK vs US. Pictures please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thatr's not to say there isn't some truth to that view, there are indeed a fair few who believe just exactly like that. The vast majority however are a bit more sensible. They just don't seek or receive the attention. Indeed the vast majority of the public

There are just as many really childish and naive bushcrafters don't worry :)

They pop up here from time to time intending to live a hunter gatherer lifestyle just outside Surrey, or get themselves killed having watched one too many Bear Grylls episodes.

I'm quite sure that trash TV will latch on to them sooner or later - and then Bushcrafting will be equally laughable in the eyes of the TV nation when four nut jobs set the tone or the entire hobby in the minds of the gullible.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

They pop up here from time to time intending to live a hunter gatherer lifestyle just outside Surrey, or get themselves killed having watched one too many Bear Grylls episodes.

I'm quite sure that trash TV will latch on to them sooner or later - and then Bushcrafting will be equally laughable in the eyes of the TV nation when four nut jobs set the tone or the entire hobby in the minds of the gullible.

There was a request for preppers on this forum eighteen months or so ago, from a tv production company. So I guess it won't be too long now.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Sadly true I'm afraid.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Well What's your thoughts on my videos? Anything you want to see? I think you all could give me great ideas to research and show.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
I'm trying my hand at a bushcraft video here soon. Only problem is that I'm in a high Siera desert, and not the forest.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well What's your thoughts on my videos? Anything you want to see? I think you all could give me great ideas to research and show.

Interesting videos. Good production quality too, a refreshing change from many youtube videos.

I find it interesting the approach taken for some of your kit. The EDC bags video I looked at the bags and boggled. I dunno if it's me being a Brit or me being a Girl, but to me EDC kit needs to fit in the pocket of my jeans. I still manage fire kit, knife & saw in that space. If I wasn't so camera shy, I would try to do a video to compare with yours.

In terms of videos for you to do, I would be really interested in a video on finding and treating water. Esp really small compact solutions, the sort of thing that I can add to my pocket edc kit. Currently I have some puri tabs (Oasis 17mg ones as issued to brit forces), but would love too see compact solutions for collection/storage of water, and for filtering out the lumpy bits. I have a Bilmo bag, but I'm sure there has to be other options out there.

Julia

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
I know preppers here; most of them have a tremendous focus on learning to be capable. Capable, self reliant and with transferable skills. Very practical people, but the 'bunker' mentality seems to be absent from the most able of them :)

M

Did you see the UK Preppers programme about a year or so ago? It featured several UK Preppers, one had an inflatable canoe and plans to move to a small island on a river in Hampshire, on the island he had a Tupperware box with a some essentials, an air rifle and a tarpaulin. Another was going to move to a caravan in a shed in Wales and another had moved his entire family to a small farm in Serbia :D

It followed on from the series of US Preppers where they had moved into disused nuclear silos, had 10,000,000 rounds of ammunition, bugged out to camouflaged, buried containers with 25 years of food and the bloke who had set up his flat in a city with more booby traps than the Viet Cong could even dream of!

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Edible desert plants might be a start? How to locate water sources?

I'm going to do this in the spring. We will be doing stuff in the pre winter time in aspen and pine. So that's a hard altitude for food. But in the spring I'll head to the desert which is great for food, ironically.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Interesting videos. Good production quality too, a refreshing change from many youtube videos.

I find it interesting the approach taken for some of your kit. The EDC bags video I looked at the bags and boggled. I dunno if it's me being a Brit or me being a Girl, but to me EDC kit needs to fit in the pocket of my jeans. I still manage fire kit, knife & saw in that space. If I wasn't so camera shy, I would try to do a video to compare with yours.

In terms of videos for you to do, I would be really interested in a video on finding and treating water. Esp really small compact solutions, the sort of thing that I can add to my pocket edc kit. Currently I have some puri tabs (Oasis 17mg ones as issued to brit forces), but would love too see compact solutions for collection/storage of water, and for filtering out the lumpy bits. I have a Bilmo bag, but I'm sure there has to be other options out there.

Julia

That one is because the editing guy misunderstood and mislabeled it as EDC, as opposed to BOB, or Get Home Bag. But once it's up they leave it be. My actual EDC is two knives a pistol, keys, a light, a phone, and something for fire. And before anyone looses there mind I am armed for my job, and off duty it's still smart to keep a pistol handy for personal defense and if needed to get game. I realize the odds are very low and that's fine with me.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Did you see the UK Preppers programme about a year or so ago? It featured several UK Preppers, one had an inflatable canoe and plans to move to a small island on a river in Hampshire, on the island he had a Tupperware box with a some essentials, an air rifle and a tarpaulin. Another was going to move to a caravan in a shed in Wales and another had moved his entire family to a small farm in Serbia :D

It followed on from the series of US Preppers where they had moved into disused nuclear silos, had 10,000,000 rounds of ammunition, bugged out to camouflaged, buried containers with 25 years of food and the bloke who had set up his flat in a city with more booby traps than the Viet Cong could even dream of!

If you send me a net link I'll watch it. You can usually learn about 10% of valuable things from the crazy ones. But in the end unless you have money to burn there are way more important things to spend money and time on,.... You know, like anything else.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Julia because you are a woman your Youtube channel would flourish. There aren't many women on YouTube. I say if you have useful information it is the right thing to share. I would watch and learn from you.

Here is a lady bushcrafter I was watching last night with my wife. I never knew about her shovel in this video and think that is awesome.

http://youtu.be/SSqdy8VUCi8

You can make a video without words showing a skill. And if you mess up, delete it. No harm no fowl.

Good luck!

Ty

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
If you send me a net link I'll watch it. You can usually learn about 10% of valuable things from the crazy ones. But in the end unless you have money to burn there are way more important things to spend money and time on,.... You know, like anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4EXdAoIrDE Here you go, you'll be rushing out for a two way canoe pump and a .177 air rifle before you get half way through! Crikey, I hope no one on here is featured in the programme!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If the world is to be populated by such people after it all goes wonky I think I'd rather peg out............Bemused and bewildered doesn't even come close :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE