The best Bushcraft Knife UK vs US. Pictures please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Ok so I'm sure I'm not the first person to post what's the best knife. However I do think I'm the first person that's tried to bridge the gap between we in the US, and my brothers and sisters across the pond in the UK!

What makes a good knife in the US, is different from what makes a good knife in the UK. Having said this I'm asking you to post pictures of your favorite bushcraft knives and tell me why you like them.

In the spirit of this idea, I'm posting some pictures of one of my favorite knives, that coincidently came from England. One of Joes Eat Sticks knives.

Ty

bb1158793fe7a33af20737a5b9941c1c.jpg

9e4f4a2d8db1e54d6d2b45cd1d6b62e7.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A good knife is a good knife, no matter where it is. :).....

Mostly agree with this.

There are some qualifiers though (although they aren't US vs UK) Most of us generally prefer carbon steel, but if you're in a tropical beach environment that preference might change to stainless? The old machete in the jungle vs the axe or heavier knife in the Boreal forest debate?

But if we assume the OP's parameters are for a small general purpose knife, I absolutely agree.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough.....the favourite to hand knife just now is this one.....

P1020184.jpg

P1020186.jpg

:D

Made for me before he got his mark sorted out, but it's another Mark Hill.

M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
My Main users. joel Delorme Nessmuk, Gary Mills Timberwolf, Rob Evans Bushtool, Mark Hill M.0.R.A, A.wright and sons Woodlore clone. Some pictures of a few of them new and some of them on use:

imagejpg1_zps453d7025.jpg

imagejpg2_zps3dd928d1.jpg

imagejpg1_zps56dc6f2e.jpg

imagejpg3_zps6a406fd7.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb0cda9eb.jpg

imagejpg3_zps84170258.jpg

imagejpg3_zps328cd303.jpg

imagejpg2_zpscac86e49.jpg

imagejpg2_zps46fd4591.jpg

image_zps743b16a2.jpg
[/IMG]

image_zpsdb9cd08d.jpg
[/IMG]

image_zps022d7247.jpg
[/IMG]

imagejpg1_zps396caaeb.jpg

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Red you git I love that knife- it is incredible! I'm liking yours too toddy- looks very handy!

Forgot to say about my take on the difference between us and the states. Americans seem to prefer much larger blades and Bowie styles whereas we tend to use smaller blades. I think we also tend to use more scandi's and the Americans more flat or hollow grinds. This is of course just a general rule and individuals do what they want and have their own choices but that the general sort of thing I tend to see :).

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Clouston98. I like the Nessmuk setup you have there. I especially like second knife from the left on the second and third picture you have posted. The metal pommel looks very useful. I would love a knife like that some day. I have the Spyderco Bushcrafter blade which is very close in design to the knives posted. I did a demo video with it here.

http://youtu.be/-q3SbII6Nxc

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Clouston98. I like the Nessmuk setup you have there. I especially like second knife from the left on the second and third picture you have posted. The metal pommel looks very useful. I would love a knife like that some day. I have the Spyderco Bushcrafter blade which is very close in design to the knives posted. I did a demo video with it here.

http://youtu.be/-q3SbII6Nxc

That's a Rob Evans Bushtool mate and it is a superb knife! And yeah I know what you mean the spyderco bushcrafter is very similar to the timberwolf in shape- thanks for the link :).

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
British Red, that Puukko looking one with the black sheath seems to me, to be about the ideal overall knife shape out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE