The Best Bushcraft Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theorsmeister

Thought I'd start a thread on what is the best and easiest to gather, natural plant food source.

By the best I mean in terms of taste, calorific content and other goodness.

Looking forward to hearing from u all

cheers

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i guess easy depends on if you are on the coast but shrimp are my favorte.. easy to catch in fairly large ammounts and the taste is wonderful imho.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I love things like damsons, green gages, bullaces etc. Occaisionally I come across "feral" fruit trees, like apples and pears from long forgotten gardens.

I've had enough of rabbit over the years, but am partial to pigeon breast, as long as they've not been eating rape, which makes 'em bitter.

Sloes are good, but only for my gin!

Cheers,

Dave

M

michael

Burdock is great, I love the roots and the young stems are quite nice if you cook them well. I must say those traditional hearty English dishes like rabbit and other game are high on the list. I would say that if you want the easiest food to get, nettles are everwhere, not the nicest, but better than nothing :eek: :)

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
just surveyed a beautiful old bit of woodland for plants and for the season it has many food possibilities, incl nettle (in trout fish stock and cream) mint (with lamb from earth type oven), blackberries (jelly), elder (fritters), pignut (have to find it first), wood clovers and wood sorrel (both great as addivtives), plus there is rabbits and perhaps a fox. In a few months time there will be cherries (jam), rowan (jam, spitting out of hollow tube - when I was at school!).

There is probably others, have to map the area so should find them then and during the autumn and spring surveys - shame we can't have the scottish meet there, there is no ticks or midges and is well sheltered.

May 17, 2005
is their a decent book on this subject i know it has bound to have beed breched before but i am very new to this and would like to start with the best information

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Clive,

you could look up a book called Food for Free by Richard Mabey(sp) a fiver for the pocket guide - plant id, seasonal availability and recipies.

Cheers

JFW

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
clive moggridge said:
is their a decent book on this subject i know it has bound to have beed breched before but i am very new to this and would like to start with the best information

One of the best around is Roger Philipps' Wild Food - organised by 'month appearing', with lots of photos and recipies.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I find that everything that you catch or forage yourself ends up tasting delicious

(Warning dead animal pic in below link)

P1010174.jpg

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i am thinkin of getting food for free, and i know this shouldnt be in this section but is bushcraft by mors k and the collins guide to tree ID any good as i am going to get these

davedd

Jan 31, 2006
Berkshire
i've been looking around for ages for burdock but can't seem to find it. are there any tips for identifying it. i've only got 1 pic from a book.

thanks

dave

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i bought food for free,collins guide to tree id and bushcraft by mors k
these are all great books and i have learnt alot from them
i would definitally reccomend them

kaoss

May 8, 2006
Manchester
Going back to the coast, mussels boiled in sea or loch water with just pepper, bread & butter

as an after thought I know 99.9 people will know but best not to eat in high summer ( when there is no "R" in the month), one reason is they are out of condition due to breading season

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've just watched the bush tuckerman as I ordered the dvds from DVDorchard in Australia, and it amazes me that he sends off samples of the food he gathers for scientific and calorific content. This way, he can say that a certain nut has more calories than beef, and it amazes me the things he eats. It also amazes me how many things he does that have also been covered later by Ray Mears. I think he must be a fan of Les Hiddens too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE