The best bolt action rifle from each army?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Can be anything, although personally would like to see older examples, and a short explanation of why?

[Instead of just saying any mauser, which model, year, calibre etc]

Photos would be good too.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
For Britain it has to be the AI L115A3. Great if you want to kill Terry Taliban at a range of 1.5 miles, not so economical for bunny bashing. For day to day stuff Id suggest that a SMLE in .22 would be a hoot.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
For hyper modern long range punch I would agree with imagedude. Followed closely imo by the CheyTac Intervention in .408. But there's no class or panache there is there so id actually say the mauser 98k. 7.92x59 cartridge with plenty of punch even at range, a reliable strip clip mag, they came factory fitted (sniper rifle variant) with a 4x Zeiss scope and others with brilliant optics. Accuracy that rivals modern rifles, a bolt that gunmakers still copy the design of and a crisp trigger. If anyone needs further proof that it was any good, they stopped making them in 1945 and there are units still in service!

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
For myself and a lot of my friends it would be the Lee Endfield no.4 mk1 in .303 British, just a plain work horse that doesn't fail. You could buy one for 10 - 15$ now they command 400$+ depending on shape and series. Our Arctic Rangers still use it in the far north as they are that reliable, accurate and powerful. It was my first centre fire and unfortunately I am now without one but not for long.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would agree the Lee Enfield no 4 is almost unparalleled as a bolt action rifle. For my money the mkII is superior. Certainly in 303. Ten shot magazine as opposed to the five shot nearly all others had, flip over precision and battle sight, Stripper feed for full and partial reload...its was in my view the best mass issued bolt action rifle. But the 98k, Moisin Nagant and others were fine rifles.

ETA Pictures were requested. This one is mine
Enfield No 4 Mk 2 with No 4 Mk 2 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
German: The 98 Mauser. Accurate, reliable, durable, and a lethal caliber

American: The 1903 Springfield (actually copied from the above Mauser. All the attributes of the rifle it copied (said Mauser) plus a new caliber , the 30-06, that would become a universal favorite of military and hunters alike.

Beyond those two I'd only be speaking from what I've read or heard as I have no personal experience with others (although the reputation of the Lee Enfield suggest that it would be the British rifle chosen)

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
its more modern successor the L42.

I had the rare privilege of using the L42A1 for a few weeks in the TA. They ran a shortened sniper cadre for us, but unfortunately out battalion would never let their collection of L42's out of the armoury, so never got to use one again.

I can still remember the scope clicks from 100-900m 2-3-3-3-4-4-6-7, such a simple system, count the clicks back from 100 till it stops and you can set the scope to any distance without looking at the turret.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
AI L115A3 with Schmidt & Bender PM11 and fed with Lapua 185 grain = Good night.
As previously stated..Useless on Bunnies though... unless you prefer them pre-minced...;)
Here's mine..

rI6zHQY.jpg

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Lee Enfield No4 .303...... only one I shot with and that dates me. I was better with the Bren but didn't like carrying it.
We learned rifle drill on the No1, which had the back sight just where your hand hit to order arms- very painful! The No4 had a lovely smooth part there as the backsight was far better placed behind the action.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The only bolt action rifle I have ever fired was a SMLE 3 and was pleased to see WW2 dated models (1939 if I recall correctly!) issued to the game guards looking after me in South Africa - a real confidence booster!

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
L96 in 7.62x51. Its a heavy beast compared to your average stalking rifle. It has a versatile cal you can get ammo for easily if you can find one on the private market. Superbly accurate, designed in part, by one of the UKs full bore olympic champions. I liked it more than the L42.

Infantry mans rifle would be the Mk5 Jungle carbine in .303.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
L96 in 7.62x51. Its a heavy beast compared to your average stalking rifle. It has a versatile cal you can get ammo for easily if you can find one on the private market. Superbly accurate, designed in part, by one of the UKs full bore olympic champions. I liked it more than the L42.

Infantry mans rifle would be the Mk5 Jungle carbine in .303.

Didnt this have problems with double feeds used it and i remember in instruction this had happened a lot

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
If I remember correctly it was, alledgedly, a combination of out sourced parts that where substandard and some user error. Both quickly sorted out with a slap to the subcontractor and better user training. That being said I never witnessed any problems when I retrained from the L42.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE