The Berwick Swans

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It wouldn't be that this is a very bright swan who realised "I'm going there soon anyway, so why not make good use of this very unusual Easterly wind instead of fighting that normal West/South West that saps all my strength?"

Nah, dumb birds, how could they know stuff like that, eh? :rolleyes:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well obviously, we only have sophisticated computer models, satellites and masses of people studying the weather, and we can accurately predict the weather for about 4 days ahead. What chance do we have against the prognosticating ablity of a swan?

We're all doomed...

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
That is just a tourist swan, I would not give any credence to that weather article.

Berwick to Gloucestershire is only a little over 300 miles, it hasn't migrated, just went down for a weekend on the lash :p

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought they came from Siberia ? funnily enough I saw a V of swans flying overhead a couple of weeks ago. They're noisy up there.

M

I don't know what kind of experts your paper has but they are not experts in weather forecasting or in bird/animal behaviour.

Birds and animals migrate due to local changes in weather, daylight hours, temperature and wind direction and whether they have enough food.

Birds fly off their summer grounds here at the same time, but if it is bad weather and colder they'll leave earlier. I don't know if any Canadian birds fly to you but mostly I guess they fly south to the states, where no doubt people there tell what the weather is going to do based on when the birds arrive, and I think they'll be wrong. Animals behave just the same.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Personally I only listen to one weather man at this time of year...

Phil said:
You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

Whatever you do, don't ask Punxsutawney Phil... that little dude has no idea at all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE