The benefits of turning 40!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well, Mrs Labrador & I turned 40 this year (& last year) so we decided to treat ourselves to a really special trip to British Columbia. Although it wasn't exactly bushcraft we enjoyed it so much we thought we'd like to share. :)
We flew into Calgary, picked up a car & first drove to Jasper for a couple of days before heading on to Burn's Lake where my big treat started........
It's worth explaining here that I have always hankered after the romantic image of a remote wilderness cabin by a lake full of trout in the Canadian Rockies & guess what, Mrs Labrador had found just that!:D
At Burn's Lake we boarded a De Havilland Beaver & flew out to Tesla Lake for four days of peace, quiet & fly-fishing for wild rainbow trout.
BC2009notbears078.jpg

The cabin was fantastic
BC2009notbears089.jpg

& we even heard a moose out back.
Too soon the plane came to collect us & take us back to civilization & more:drive:
Our journey then took us via Whistler & the ferry to Vancouver Island & then up to Port Hardy where we got on another float plane & flew up to Great Bear lodge on Smith Inlet & the part of the trip that Mrs Labrador was getting excited about, Bear watching:eek:
BC2009notbears174.jpg

Luxury accomodation, gourmet food, extremely knowledgeable guides who really care about the environment & bears. Lots & lots of grizzly bears
BEARS009.jpg

Problem is now, we can't decide what the best bit was so we'll probably have to do it all again in 2015 for our Silver Wedding!:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff fella, we went for our honeymoon a few years ago. We flew into Vancouver and did the Rockies route for 4 weeks. The scenery is amazing isn't it, the scale of things just blew me away.

Hoping to get back there soon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great!
One of my Scouts from 30 od years ago just got back in contact...he now lives in BC...
I wonder if he has a spare room...........
I have been to Africa North, South and West, Asia, Eastern and Western Europe, the States but not Canada yet...Looks like I have been saving the best for last!

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Beautiful pics

im taking SWMBO and lad to canada in jauary unfortunately all the bears will be having a nap and im not brave enough to wake them (i'd rather wake SWMBO and thats terrifying)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Oh, that's fantastic, good for you guys. I used to live over there and i've not done some of that :D

You should go again, 45 isn't so far away :D

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
That is simply my idea of heaven.
No phone / wifi / ambient city light, just pure air /water and nature in raw form....
Would also love to know who you booked this with....

Absolutely stunning.

Tom

Hi all,
it seems that I should share the details of the companies we used to book our tour through.
First we used Canadian Affair to book our flights & car;-
www.canadianaffair.com
The cabin & the float plane to get there was booked through;-
www.lazyeaglelodge.com
& The Bear watching was with;-
www.greatbeartours.com
Usual disclaimer, no connection just a great holiday!:red:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE