The Bear Grylls knife for a bargain price of £350

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
He is a bit naughty when he still claims to be the youngest person to have climbed Everest: He isn't, but I'll let that pass

From BG's website

"Bear is a man who has always loved adventure. After breaking his back in three places in a parachuting accident, he fought his way to recovery, and two years later entered the Guinness Book of Records as the youngest Briton to climb Mount Everest, aged only 23",

I think this has now been surpassed though

spamel said:
if you have the money you too can climb it. It's not like you are the first person to ever go up and have to find the route up and place the ropes and what not.

I would love to be able to afford to even see the Mountain, let alone climb it:), although i think you will find they have re route the climb every season and even during the climbing season because of weather conditions and glacier movement, not to mention the Crevasses that open up due to ice movement?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just found this - http://beargrylls.itchyfeet.com/index.php as recco'd byThe Man.

It's the same distance; thay may have slightly more time to do it in though - I'll find out for you

Selsection is run continuously, he would have done his over several weekends. Not quite the same unless he has to continue his training whilst doing his day job at the bank! Cammed up with 50 pound notes to blend in with the rest of the cash register, carrying members of staff back and forth to the toilet as if dragging a wounded comrade under contact!

No, it's not the same!

:D

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Here we go - Selection - http://www.stuff.themutual.net/taselect.htm

and from some-one who's quick off the mark - must have had two rolos today :)
First up they don't do the full 4 week bimble around brecon; only turn up of test week. They don't do the full jungle - poll up for a bit of the E&E and that's about it - point to note that they are trying to hold down a full time job as well

and also from The Lord Flasheart
Quote "I think you'll find this site tells you everything you need to know.
The DS approve of it and think the site owner is a very good asset to the SF community"

http://groups.msn.com/SASRSelection/welcome.msnw

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Apart from the knife - has anyone used a sheath in that style ? not necessarily one that looks like a nokia phone pouch but horizontal for a full size knife?

Dougster made me a brilliant sheath for my clipper a while back that carries in much the same way as this - i did take some photos, so i'll dig them out and post them up

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Neither was i until i read a couple of his books, considering what he has been through, broken back for instance, to then go and climb Everest, well he went up loads in my estimation, yes i agree he is a bit OTT on the telly, but if you don't like it, dont watch it, pretty simple really:D

A primary school teacher climbed everest but she dosent claim to be an expert in survival or ex sas, as for the books he did write them and if his shows have been proven to be false well maybe just maybe the books are some what fantsy too?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A primary school teacher climbed everest but she dosent claim to be an expert in survival or ex sas, as for the books he did write them and if his shows have been proven to be false well maybe just maybe the books are some what fantsy too?

Believe what you like mate, just stating my opinion, personally i enjoyed the book, if you want to belittle\doubt those who have done something exceptional with their lives, like climbing the worlds highest mountain, then that's your perogative.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Set yourself up in the public glare and you're going to take some stick, this man has had stick aplenty here. Whatever he has managed, it's more than I have.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Set yourself up in the public glare and you're going to take some stick, this man has had stick aplenty here. Whatever he has managed, it's more than I have.

I agree with you, it seems that anyone who sets themselves up as a public figure gets slated, despite what they have acheived, good or bad, in addition he's a damn site richer than any of us, and lets face it, most of us would act like a pratt if that sort of pay day beckoned?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
He's passed selection, climbed Everest, travelled across the globe and made himslef alot of money from very successful tv series. All of these things are probably beyond my capabilities and I have quite a lot of respect for him for being able to do them. It's annoying to admit it but he also no doubt knows more about survival and bushcraft than I do, and again I respect that. He obviously has a very strong character and a capable and determined frame of mind.

But all those things can't stop the nagging feeling that really, he's a bit of a berk.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Many people on this site have done amazing things.

The difference is that they don't spin them to sound like like they're the biggest hero on the Earth.

IMO. if you set yourself up in a coconut shy you have to expect a few wooden bricks flying your way. :twak:

Here, here.

There are are indeed members of this forum who have done great things. A short extract form the bio of one (he's gonna be really annoyed with me for this)

After a number of unsatisfying jobs, he joined the forces in 1970 and was a soldier for over 20 years. Qualified as an instructor in Nuclear Biological and Chemical Warfare, Combat Survival, Weapons, Tactics, Urban and Counter-revolutionary Warfare, Explosives, Advanced First Aid, Light Rescue and Firefighting, among other things, and a trained sniper and forward observation officer, he served in Africa, Asia, the Gulf, Central and South America and Europe. He has experienced the reality and aftermath of war and served in aid to the civil powers operations after two major floods, a hurricane and an earthquake.

After leaving the forces, he settled in Scotland. He was Training Manager Scotland for the British Red Cross for 4 years including training overseas service and emergency response volunteers

Oh - and I nicked that from the "authors biography" of his book! On "the web" though, he just has a log on like the rest of us and doesn't "blow his own trumpet".

I know who I respect more!

Red

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know who I respect more.

I'm with you on this one, Red. BG does appear to be the kid with ALL the toys and most of the opportunities too. What was it that first persuaded the television producers to pick him over and above the range of other, far more interesting, experienced and deserving folk involved in these kind of activities? His name? Boyish good looks and cheeky grin? Or was it the hyperactive Tigger factor that was so beguiling?

Answers on a postcard, please.;)

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Neither was i until i read a couple of his books, considering what he has been through, broken back for instance, to then go and climb Everest, well he went up loads in my estimation, yes i agree he is a bit OTT on the telly, but if you don't like it, dont watch it, pretty simple really:D

I completely agree with this. Bear Grylls was in the Teritorial SAS. He did break his back and then summit everest a stupidly short amount of time later. He may act a bit silly on t.v but he no doubt has been there, done that and got the t-shirt for real so if he wants to stop in a hotel instead of on a jungle floor then so be it.
It seems to me that certain people on here slate him for being a thrill seeker, and being able to have a laugh whilst making programs that are semi realistic. If he was just another Ray Mears he wouldn't sell as a product.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>
It seems to me that certain people on here slate him for being a thrill seeker, and being able to have a laugh whilst making programs that are semi realistic.<Snip

No. Most people on here slate him for promoting downright dangerous ways of getting out of a survival situation.

Fortunately most people here know better than to emulate the stunts he gets up to in his TV series but there are people out there that might think it is the right way to act and frankly that could result in making a bad situation a damn sight worse.

I have no problem with people making money, I have no problem with them becoming celebrities either. I definitely do not need to be jealous about peoples lifestyles.

What I do have a very big problem with is giving people bad information disguised as "expertise" and that is why I will never have a shred of respect for Edward Grylls. :cussing:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Exactly that Wayland - well said. If he wants to make a programme called "Jackass Bushcraft" and admit its all staged, fine. But starting a programme with "I will teach you to survive" and then advising drinking unboiled water even though you have the ability to boil it, pretending to abseil down a waterfall with a vine which is just bloody stupid (and was shown as a complete lie as well - too dangerous for Teddy Edward but okay to give as advice - sheesh). The man is not only a fool but worse a foolish liar who puts other peoples lives at risk with his stupidity. I care not one jot that he's dumb enough to injure himself or that he wants to make silly TV programmes. I do object to his lies and placing others in dangerous so that he can make money.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE