The 50 quid challenge (ish)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I find the led head lamp (head torch??) is one of the handiest high tech tools for the woods and anywhere else for that matter. Ever have to fix something in the dark and try to hold a flashlight (torch?) or prop it on somethng? :shock:

Some good reading material is always a good investment.

Tilley hats are the bomb! :lol:

A good pair of boots.

Save it towards a good pair of binoculars.

Titanium cook pot.

New pack.

A fire piston!

A good matchsafe.

??? :)

B

Bob Hurley

arctic hobo said:
Keep 'em coming, they don't have to apply to me, it's a bit of fun :wave:

Well, in that case ... :wink:

That would buy me a season's hunting license for Virginia, and there are two huge national forests within a 5 hour drive of me. One of those forests has some virgin hemlock timber that I've never seen.

leon-1

arctic hobo said:
Right, my bank just gave me 50 quid, which I reckon is rather nice, and I was thinking of spending it on something bushcrafty, but I'm not sure what. Not a knife, I'm sure of that :nono: :lol: I can't make my mind up... if you folks had a bit of spare cash what might you spend it on? :?:

I would spend £10 quid on a billy can and some meths.

The rest I would buy a disposable barbecue tray (used as a hibachi) and some lumpwood (I have a brick built barbecue in my garden), some food to barbecue, some drink (a case of lager or 2 and some non-alchholic drinks), then I would invite some friends over (bring a bottle or food, possibly more lumpwood) and have a barbecue in my garden.

After cleaning up the next day I would then use the tray to make a windshield, the grill to make a potstand and the empty non-alcoholic cans to make stoves :) .

After barbecues you nearly always have food to keep you going for a good couple of days and maybe a bottle of wine or 2 :wink:

Your friends tend to appreciate the gesture to, so all in all, you get to have a good time, your friends get to have a good time, you recycle some of the waste and get a stove, a potstand, a windshield out of it and these you can use with your newly acquired billy can and fuel :eek:):

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Id get a bottle of JD a few beers a bit of grub, get some good friends together and spend a weekend in the woods having a laugh, oh and doing a bit of bushcraft :lol: , :shock: hey Im doing that this weekend!!! HAPPY DAYS :eek:): :lol: :wink:

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Investing in friends old and new at Ashdown this weekend.

Hint:

keg_pounding_hw.gif

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very tricky one.

1) I know you said 'not a kni...' but how about a very nice every day carry folder. A Case XX or similar.

2) What is the most important bit of kit? I believe it is a waterproof jacket in our climate. Fifty sovs would get you most of the way to a Keela Ottawa, or about half or third the way to a nice goretex job.

3) Three of the new Argos one man tents, with a fiver change left over. (Actually, I am joking. I think the new argos tents are single skinned and therefore dodgy. The old ones are good.)

4) Just get something really, really well made and classic - you will enjoy it all your life, and then enjoy it again when your kids inherit an heirloom. You might need to save a bit more. Surprising how cheap some things are now as they are considered obsolete, but 20 or 30 years ago were horrifyingly expensive. Some ideas (some only loosely bushcrafty):

Leica camera
Minox camera
Feinwerkbau 65 target air pistol (the best in the world for nearly 30 years, now sold second hand at £120 or so)
Weirauch/Original/Feinwerkbau air rifle. Or a classic BSA Airsporter - 1946 design!
Bear recurve bow ( Sixties classic - buy from US off ebay - caveat emptor!)
A nice LED torch
Russian binos/telescope - A two draw 20x50 is in your price range and very good for deer
Summer is coming - how about an Akubra felt hat?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE