The 2018 collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well done on your weight and health. Personally I don't believe in diets, prefer it to be a change to a healthier lifestyle. Exercise and good / healthy food that is sustainable in your life. When you're at your final target it's a change to healthy lifestyle.

As to your clothing work. I'll admit I'm more modern technical clothing type in anything but stealthy colours. However I find one of your body warmers I like. I can't place why I like it but if I got something like that I'd certainly wear it a lot.

Having said that, I'm an owner of a new buffalo special 6 shirt because it was the only option in store that's my size. I believe you know a lot about buffalo clothing. You did a magazine review iirc possibly in a kayaking magazine. Plus didn't you do the swim in a lake promotion thing?

Sorry off topic.

Back on topic, you're a craftsman with your clothes. I reckon the only way for me to get outdoor trousers to fit would be to make them. The only machine in the family is a hand cranked singer that's probably 100+ years old. I doubt it could do all the types of stitches you'd need for good trouser.

Did you make your own patterns? How did you learn to size things down?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done on your weight and health. Personally I don't believe in diets, prefer it to be a change to a healthier lifestyle. Exercise and good / healthy food that is sustainable in your life. When you're at your final target it's a change to healthy lifestyle.

As to your clothing work. I'll admit I'm more modern technical clothing type in anything but stealthy colours. However I find one of your body warmers I like. I can't place why I like it but if I got something like that I'd certainly wear it a lot.

Having said that, I'm an owner of a new buffalo special 6 shirt because it was the only option in store that's my size. I believe you know a lot about buffalo clothing. You did a magazine review iirc possibly in a kayaking magazine. Plus didn't you do the swim in a lake promotion thing?

Sorry off topic.

Back on topic, you're a craftsman with your clothes. I reckon the only way for me to get outdoor trousers to fit would be to make them. The only machine in the family is a hand cranked singer that's probably 100+ years old. I doubt it could do all the types of stitches you'd need for good trouser.

Did you make your own patterns? How did you learn to size things down?
OK - I do not believe in Diets per-se either my weight loss was achieved by merely reducing the calories I consumed in relation to the exercise I took - nothing was banned, and I still enjoyed a whisky or wine in the evening :)
I did indeed review a lot of Buffalo kit in my days as a Kit reviewer for various magazines and "Canoeist" was one of them - a photo of me testing Buffalo is still part of their advertizing ...
download (1).jpg
I basically taught myself to make kit and clothing - using a hand turned Singer I got from a Charity shop.
I later went to College for 2 years doing a Btec OND in Fashion... where I learned Pattern Cutting and Grading (sizing up and down) amongst other things...

N

Nomad

Cheers for the sewing info John. I had kinda thought it had to be done with cotton for the seams to work properly, but I guess the stitch holes close up over the thread. Have you tried bonded nylon?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cotton would be ideal - I used to use core -spun poly cotton (poly core with cotton spun over it) but I cannot find it (locally) in the amounts I want at a price I like and in the colours I want - the pure poly is a compromise... strength before the ultimate water proofing!
I have not tried the nylon.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use 40S bonded Nylon in my Singer 210K - had to adjust the bobbin tension down a bit and wind the thread tension up almost to the top, but it stitches beautifully. Cost about £9 for 3,500m (eBay). The Americans call is V69 and although it's stronger than the equivalent polyester, it's not so good in the sun but I'm still planning on sewing my lavuu with it.

Did load my vintage zig zag machine with it too but have had issues with it. Finally fixed the timing on my Toyota RS2000 too and made some passable buttonholes using the automatic foot but still don't have trust in the machine as shouldn't have lost the timing so easily in the first place.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And the collection grows - Ventile overtrousers!
Mainly as wind protection but worn (as here) over Ventile trousers I protect my thermals with full Double Ventile performance :)
Single skin, elastic drawstring waist that opens up above the pocket slits to make putting the OTs on over boots easier. 18" lower leg zips (no gusset or baffle) for a neat fit and ease of dressing....
PB240001.JPG PB240002.JPG PB240003.JPG PB240004.JPG

Reactions: Toddy and Herman30

norfolknun

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk
Winter is coming - so I need some warm wear!
I have been busy (but need more yet) and this is what I have made recently
A Brushed Cotton Twill version of my SAS Smock
View attachment 50556 View attachment 50557 View attachment 50558
sized to go over warm wear and made from fabric from our local market

A Blanket and Ventile off-cut body warmer - the blanket was dyed down from ... Pink! It was a "Dormy Silver Seal All New Wool" that I picked up in a House Clearance sop for £4!
Bag pockets inside also from Ventile, zips from an old, oversize, fleece jacket.
View attachment 50564 View attachment 50565

And a Blanket and Twill body warmer - same blanket - different dye and a complete outer instead of a reinforced yoke...
View attachment 50566
Sewn through pockets - they only pucker when I stuff my hands into them!
In total awe of your skills !!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And it continues....
Another pair of Ventile trousers to the same pattern as beforePC210002.JPG PC210003.JPG PC210004.JPG PC210005.JPG PC210006.JPG PC210007.JPG PC210008.JPG PC210009.JPG PC210010.JPG PC210011.JPG

A merino wool hood from the remains of the blanket I made a shirt from
and a blanket - old fur coats backed with a military surplus blanket - heavy but very warm!

Reactions: tiger stacker

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And the final item for 2018
A light weight wool shirt with Ventile off-cuts for cuff, pocket flap and yoke linings :)
PC290001.JPG PC290002.JPG
A Happy New Year to all!

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Absolutely amazing skills, I’ve no experience of ventile John, I kind of understand the expansion of fibers part for stopping water ingress, how about abrasion resistance ? Thinking them trousers look quality
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE