The 10 minute Bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is probably the easiest method Ive found of making a bucksaw/bowsaw

Took me about 10-15 minutes from scratch, with a piece of relatively straight spruce.

I wanted to be able to knock one up quickly, which held a 36" long blade.

Ive given a test run, you could cut down a 'hug sized' sized tree with this.

And heres how to make it:

[video=youtube;U94JgBQSfUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U94JgBQSfUU[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is cool Dave!

I take it you're just taking the blade with you when you're off in the snow? Make a bucksaw out there to save weight?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm making a bucksaw this week, but I seriously doubt I can complete it in 10-15 minutes.

Is that your first attempt at making one or have you been squeezing in some sneaky practice? :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No Ive made a fancy one before, out of ash, very similiar to the one you posted a photo of.
And Ive bought one. Duluth one.
But thats the beauty of this one, because this only relies on 4 90˚ angles, you can knock it up in 10 minutes. Its not meant to be pretty, just fast and functional. Its very easy to do. Give it a go.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm picking up some blades in the morning, so I'll definitely give it a go.

When you made the fancy one from ash... did you mortice the sides or dowel them?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I morticed them with a chisel. I reckon dowels would have been easier though. Its difficult to get a flush fit unless youre a real chippy.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Keeping my fingers crossed it goes well as I am doing a mortice jointed one. I'd like to give the dowel approach a try just to test how strong it is.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I saw this video the day it was posted :)
The one thing I dont get is , why does Kelly uses 2 pieces of cordage , rather than making it the way you did it ? I didn't notice any difference when I made it the one way and then the other.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Good Luck Hope it goes well for Carls sake. Very nice gesture of you Dewi. Although I might flog my expensive ones and just keep the blades now. Maybe make a special tin just to coil them in... Will see.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Good Luck Hope it goes well for Carls sake. Very nice gesture of you Dewi. Although I might flog my expensive ones and just keep the blades now. Maybe make a special tin just to coil them in... Will see.

Its Christmas :D Just hoping he likes it when its done.

How about a circular leather holder for the blades to go in? It's another project for me to practice on then! :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Intersting idea, but on the whole I think I'd prefer making one out of an old paint can, or some aluminium. Just for safetys sake.
An old tin film canister, might be an idea. or a thin biscuit tin, got a few of those in the loft i think....

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The one thing I dont get is , why does Kelly uses 2 pieces of cordage , rather than making it the way you did it ? I didn't notice any difference when I made it the one way and then the other.

Hi, I only madd it that way, so couldnt say. Maybe just trying new things, pushing boundaries etc? Dont know mate.
Did you find it worked well?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Intersting idea, but on the whole I think I'd prefer making one out of an old paint can, or some aluminium. Just for safetys sake.
An old tin film canister, might be an idea. or a thin biscuit tin, got a few of those in the loft i think....

The old style tins for chocolates would be perfect chopped down in height... but all the ones in the supermarket seem to be plastic nowadays. Tin film canister sounds promising though if it's wide enough.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I think it was so he could move the centre piece up and down for different sized logs this way he can keep the cordage at the top where he has the most leverage

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That may be so, but you can still do that the way i did it. You just tap the centre bar up or down. works fine. I cut some arm thick last night, then tapped it up and cut a large bit of hundred year old elm this morning.

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Very nice!! I do prefer a proper buck saw to the small folding saws - they cut so much faster. I've made three metal bucksaws in the last month from aluminium tubing, I'll post up some pics.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
As a bit of a heads up... Toolstation is doing bow saw blades for less than a quid. Off over there in a minute to take a look... unless they're really poor quality... bargain to be had :D

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
That may be so, but you can still do that the way i did it. You just tap the centre bar up or down. works fine. I cut some arm thick last night, then tapped it up and cut a large bit of hundred year old elm this morning.
Unless is spreads the stress, I dunno maybe try it and see if you notice any advantages

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE