That's not a Snake. This is a SNAKE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No problem. They could very well have had children taken and also discovered retics that were attempting to eat an adult. The stories are then repeated that a snake ate a man, which to all intents and purposes, is true, as they discovered it doing exactly that. I doubt they would let the snake live long enough to discover that it would give up.

Very interesting info nice one.
You say the snake would "give up" is this possible? or does the poor thing croak? How does it actually backup off the prey if its bitten off more than it can chew (please excuse the pun) is it not already digesting its food by then?

Apologies for the raft of questions :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Very interesting info nice one.
You say the snake would "give up" is this possible? or does the poor thing croak? How does it actually backup off the prey if its bitten off more than it can chew (please excuse the pun) is it not already digesting its food by then?

Apologies for the raft of questions :)

As the snake swallows it's prey, it becomes covered in a thick lubricating coat of saliva that helps it go down. They can regurgitate very quickly by contracting their muscles, and the animal is already in a streamlined shape from the way the snake swallowed it. Larger snakes regurgitate readily even days after feeding if they are caught. Half digested deer being thrown up at you is enough to put most predators off.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Had a look at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_Python

Pretty much what Jon says but interesting details. Knowing that you won't be swallowed is cold comfort when being asphixiated

That is surprisingly accurate info for Wiki. They fail to mention that a bite by a large retic leads to the similar injuries as if you were slashed deeply by a sharp knife. Immensely powerful creatures. I used to have a hatchling when I was 14, by the time I was 17 it was nearly 18ft long and eating piglets. I personally would like to see them on the DWA licence list along with Burmese, African and Indian pythons and the Anaconda too. It's insane that you can buy them at your local pet shop.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As the snake swallows it's prey, it becomes covered in a thick lubricating coat of saliva that helps it go down. They can regurgitate very quickly by contracting their muscles, and the animal is already in a streamlined shape from the way the snake swallowed it. Larger snakes regurgitate readily even days after feeding if they are caught. Half digested deer being thrown up at you is enough to put most predators off.

and i thought it couldnt get any more nasty:yuck:

Still, very cool though ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I personally would like to see them on the DWA licence list along with Burmese, African and Indian pythons and the Anaconda too. It's insane that you can buy them at your local pet shop.

There's a guy who started a Nos 10 petetion to do just that after his cat was taken by the next door neighbhours python. Apparently he let loose in his garden regularly to bask in the sun and the cat wander in range of of it :yikes:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
My sister-in-law (from the philippines) said her family found a big python coiled up in the outhouse, so they got the men to wrestle it into a barrel to sell it. They put a board and a pile of bricks on top of the barrel and the next morning it had pushed the board and bricks off and escaped. This is the place where finding Cobra skins in the mango plantation and AR-15s in the bathroom is a weekly occurance.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
.... They fail to mention that a bite by a large retic leads to the similar injuries as if you were slashed deeply by a sharp knife. Immensely powerful creatures. ...

One look at the open mouth and you believe it.

In Brunei I had to relocate a small one that decided to stay behind a flower pot by the front door. I was more scared than with the coral snakes and cobras which take every opportunity to run away. This guy decided to stay. Had to bag him and drop him outside the fence.

I suppose as an ambush predator without venom they need quick reflexes and big fangs.?

Thanks for educating us, Jon

Johan - can't see the snake in your link just Cassowaries, Adjutants and a monitor.

(edit: found it. not anywhere near as scary as the beetle in the next photo!!!)

Last edited:

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
heres one of mine it used to live in the moat (ant channel) around our house when we lived out in india .
chequredkeelback.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks massive but when you think the bricks are about six inches long? i was frightened to death of snakes before i went to india , but a few run ins with cobras , rat snakes (some quite large ones, ive seen one about 12 ft long) and having these beauties living in my moat soon changed my view of our slithery(not even sure thats a word lol) friends . This one actually had babies and there were quite a few of them living of the constant supply of frogs at our house lol . its a chequered keelback by the way a very beautiful snake. it used to sit out on the stepping stone into the house at night, a very useful house sitter.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE