TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Absolutely fantastic write up and pics.

Really fancy having a go at this next year, not sure i can be bothered putting a route together from nothing though.
Are there basic routes to start from and change as you like?

Thanks mate

You've got twelve start points to begin with in the west and you must finish between Fraserburgh and Arbroath in the east, what you do in between is up to you, you've got fifteen days to complete your crossing and you must check in at Montrose when you've finished.

When we first thought about doing it we just scoured all the blogs on the net picked out some of the best bits, when you start looking at the glens and lochs on the maps then you begin to see routes through, some are easy on Landy tracks for miles while others need a bit more care.

You do have to submit your routes in detail if you get on so you'll not get out of it completely

Some good reading here

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I designed it as a very light-weight emergency back-up know so the knife itself only weighs 1.9 ounces or 53 grams :)

DSC_9881.jpg

Nice looking blade that Brian, I could've squeezed that in instead of my Opinel No.8 :)

Finaly got some time to myself to sit down and read your trip report last might and I really enjoyed reading it. Looks like you had a great time and you got some great photos.

Thanks Res, glad you enjoyed it

Absolutely epic! :You_Rock_Well done to both of you. Thanks for the great photos.

Cheers Dave

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Shewie,

No, not Chamonix. Normaly I'm away for 6 weeeks but this year friends had different hol dates etc so just did two weeks MTBing, Via-Ferrata, Snowboarding around Alpine resorts. Guillestre (Hautes Alpes) for Vars and Les Orres MTbing and Via Ferrata and bolted multi pitch climbing. And off to Les Deuxs Alpes and Alp D'Huez for MTbing and multi-ptich climbing and a day snowboarding on the massive glacier at Les Deux Alpes. We basically moved about based on the best forecast, so we got one wet half day in two weeks, most days were 25-30degs.

We basically wanted super thin sweet singletrack

IMAG2465.jpg

Last meal in Europe was in Brugges, cheap omlette and chips and large Lager, before the ferry, wasn't driving. Bet that's the sort of meal you need at the TGO

IMAG2519.jpg

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Er, no. But the omlette was lovely, very eggy. I have perfected making crepes on my grill plate camping, one thing about Chamonix, it's very expensive compared to the quieter resorts.

Sounds like you would like the GR20 walk in Corsica.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks mate

You've got twelve start points to begin with in the west and you must finish between Fraserburgh and Arbroath in the east, what you do in between is up to you, you've got fifteen days to complete your crossing and you must check in at Montrose when you've finished.

When we first thought about doing it we just scoured all the blogs on the net picked out some of the best bits, when you start looking at the glens and lochs on the maps then you begin to see routes through, some are easy on Landy tracks for miles while others need a bit more care.

You do have to submit your routes in detail if you get on so you'll not get out of it completely

Some good reading here

Fantastic, thanks.

The Mrs is in but begrudgingly and as she's Greek i can't see her handling a wet Scotland in a tent for more than 48 hours :lmao:
So i recon i'll see if my Bro wants to come instead.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Did you take any pics at all Andy?

Yep, I took a digital SLR so on days the weather played ball I was able to take plenty. I didn't get it out at all on day 3, even in a sea to summit dry bag water was starting to creep in. I also found that towards the East coast the ankle injury I picked up in Mallaig was so painful I just wasn't looking for photo opportunities, it was a case of head down and try to get through the day. I also broke a lens filter when I fell on the camera and lost a lens cap crossing a burn during a sudden squall. It was a tough couple of weeks on kit!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Best thread on here!

I've looked at this thread briefly a couple of time before but have finally had the time to read it through from start to finish, fantastic write up! Loved it.

Hoping to do the TGO myself in 2014 so some really good information here.

Great stuff! Is there any kit you would have changed in hindsight?

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Best thread on here!

I've looked at this thread briefly a couple of time before but have finally had the time to read it through from start to finish, fantastic write up! Loved it.

Hoping to do the TGO myself in 2014 so some really good information here.

Great stuff! Is there any kit you would have changed in hindsight?

Matt

Cheers Matt, I sat and read it through myself last night, it was good fun reliving it again.

To be honest I was totally happy with what I took. I could have left the water filter at home, but for the 200 and odd grams it weighed it wasn't much of a burden and the peace of mind was worth it. I used it on the first night in Glen Affric and then it didn't come out after that, we just took water straight from the burns and rivers at elevation, lower down we just boiled it up first.

I suffered with some bad blisters after about the fourth or fifth day, for some unknown reason I never took any thin liner socks, no idea why as I always wear them on shorter trips. If I'd had the second layer I wouldn't have had half the problems, the constant wetting and drying just shredded my feet with the friction.

I'm going to be re-reading this again and again as I have a place on the 2013 challenge!

Keep us up to date with your plans KP, I'd love to see your kit and route some day. Very best of luck with the crossing, remember not to come out of the blocks too fast like we did.

Thanks for bumping this, good read.

Would like to do this with my Outdoor Class but it needs to be mid to late May for me to get out of school.

Cheers Nick, I hope you get on it one year

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just stumbled across this thread and had a great time reading through it, better late than never. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up :)

Thanks mate, I had to write it up on my blog for my family etc so thought I share it here, there's quite a few folk on here who dabble in lightweight as well as cast iron :)

It should be a sticky ?

Maybe a 'Successful Expeditions' sticky with write ups of what folk have done ?

Not sure I can sticky my own threads Nick :)

Good to read this, thank you for posting:You_Rock_

Thanks Niels

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Just looked through this again rich, gets better each time :)

A mate of mine is thinking of getting the CDT pack, is there anything you don't like about it? Or a reason not to buy?

Cheers,

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE