TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
What a read thanks for this Shewie, it's fantastic what an achievement and an experience. I'm worn out reading it !!! 👍

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
so i would prefer to take the Salomon XA3D Ultra2's but am worried about wet feet.

What do you do?

Wet feet is fine, they soon dry out when you get going. Try and remember to swill them out at the end of the day, take the insoles out and get rid of the fine grit that builds up, I learnt that the hard way. A pair of light Sealskinz to wear in the evening if your shoes are still wet. Two pairs of thin socks dry out much easier than one thicker pair.

I still wear boots for winter trips and bushy trips in the woods, but for hills and trails I prefer a light shoe like the Speedcross or similar.

It's not to everyone's taste but it works for me.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I agree with Shewie. Every time I stopped for more than a couple of mins I took off my socks and shoes and let them air. Bit of Gerwhol foot balm and socks and shoes back on. 2 weeks of this and only very small blisters on the sides of my 4th toes. My mate laughed at my routine but he had massive blisters from day 2!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks.

I don't mind wet feet near the end of a single day walk, my worry is 5 days of soggy feet.

I wear sandals and go bare feet a fair bit (round the house, beach etc) so have a lot of dry skin on my feet, problem i've found is when wet this dry skin tends to rub.

So i'm worried that if i wear my Salomon's and walk the first day with wet feet it'll mean i'll have 4 more miserable days of bad feet.

If it doesn't rain though my trainers a LOT more comfortable and i'm noticeably less tired wearing them.

Decisions, decisions.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I find that if it's that wet, my feet will be wet regardless of what I'm wearing, and boots don't drain as well as the shoes... It's amazing how liberating it is when you get to a wee river crossing and your watching your mates struggle to get across and you just roll up the trousers (if you can be bothered) and stride on through... Love it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've done four days straight with soggy feet in torrential rain, by the end they were pretty rank, but unless your really unlucky with the weather and terrain, there's a good chance your shoes are going to get dry at some point.

On hot days it's nice to walk straight across rivers and cool the feet down, if it's dry weather my feet are bone dry again in about 30 minutes.

I suppose in same conditions in waterproof boots there's a chance your feet are going to stay reasonably dry, if the boots do get wet I've found they can take an age to dry, especially with any sort of membrane, full leather boots not so bad.

I prefer the easy foot placement of a light shoe and I notice after a long day hiking the weight savings on footwear make a big difference in the legs, I think it was Chris Townsend who said a pound of the foot is worth five in the pack.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I had read about how quickly the shoes dry in comparison to waterproof boots, when i got caught out in the rain last i figured that as my shoes where wet through and full of grit i'll wash them out, as my boots were ready for a clean i did those as well.

Both the shoes and boots took 3 days to dry on the balcony, it's fairly warm here now as well, with strong sunshine, dry air and around 20c.

I can't see either drying out in a cold, damp, condensation full tent over the 5 days i'm out.

For sure they will dry quicker if walked in as a lot of the water will squelch out, dry socks will no doubt speed up the drying as well, but for my admittedly vague test the drying time wasn't much different between the 2.

I'll take both pairs to England with me and just see what the weather is like i think.

2 more questions though please.
Have you tried goretex socks, if so which ones?

I have a pair of sealskinz i use for cycling, but because they have no stretch they tend to bunch up around my toes, are there any that have a bit of stretch?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I use inov8 rocklite boots with a goretex membrane. They have never leaked and on the one occasion i got into deep water and copped a boot full they dried pretty quick. The rubber is super grippy and it has been very durable considering ive done a fair amount of scrambling in them. Id buy again in a heartbeat.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I used the seal skins at camp. Also useful if walking through snow patches.

The shoes dry quicker when worn right enough. My routine was to put on wet socks if the shoes were wet- they both dried out quickly if the going was dry- if not, your already wet!

I'm just saying what works for me, it's not for everyone.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had read about how quickly the shoes dry in comparison to waterproof boots, when i got caught out in the rain last i figured that as my shoes where wet through and full of grit i'll wash them out, as my boots were ready for a clean i did those as well.

Both the shoes and boots took 3 days to dry on the balcony, it's fairly warm here now as well, with strong sunshine, dry air and around 20c.

I can't see either drying out in a cold, damp, condensation full tent over the 5 days i'm out.

For sure they will dry quicker if walked in as a lot of the water will squelch out, dry socks will no doubt speed up the drying as well, but for my admittedly vague test the drying time wasn't much different between the 2.

I'll take both pairs to England with me and just see what the weather is like i think.

2 more questions though please.
Have you tried goretex socks, if so which ones?

I have a pair of sealskinz i use for cycling, but because they have no stretch they tend to bunch up around my toes, are there any that have a bit of stretch?

My Speeedcross and socks will quite happily dry out over night under my tarp, maybe the extra air flow inside my tarp shelter helps? I've no experience of the Ultras sorry.

I use the thin ankle length Sealskinz which work fine for around camp if my shoes are still drying.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
A plus one to the Inov8 roclites, I have those, a pair of Xtalons and a pair of Road 355's. I like the Roclite boots for hill walking with weight (more ankle support, but for fast and light, you can't beat the Xtalons). Now to read the rest of the thread and dream of a place on the challenge.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks all, i'll try a few pairs of goretex socks while i'm over.

Sorry for taking your thread off course Shewie, much appreciated though.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
So how's it going, ready for the off yet?

I'm just getting some gear together for a few days in the Lakes at the weekend, looking forward to getting on the tops again. It's a similar gear list to this one but with a few changes now, new pack for a start and I'll probably take meths for the couple of nights. Got some Packit Gourmet meals to try and I can't decide whether to take the DM or TS

Yeah just about thanks, pretty much got my gear list together but gonna give it a bit of a tweak to try lose a bit of weight from it, cheers for the words of advice on it :) Gonna get all my food sorted this week and then I'm pretty much good to go.

Which area of the Lakes are you heading? If it's not forecast to be too windy could be a good opportunity to try out the Duomid? They're pretty good in the wind, not Trailstar good, but good none the less. I'll be back in the Trailstar this weekend.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the new pack

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We're heading NE, Loadpot Hill Friday then over to Angle Tarn for Saturday night, a bit of kit testing and some CWT planning discussions, looking forward to it.

Remember, don't come out of the blocks too fast, savour every footstep and remember to look up now and then, when you get towards the last few days you'll be sad it's coming to an end. I plan to take it a lot easier on the CWT and enjoy every day of it, rather than busting the miles

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff, really fancy the CWT myself at some point, maybe later in the year if I can squeeze it in. There a few of you going or going solo?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff, really fancy the CWT myself at some point, maybe later in the year if I can squeeze it in. There a few of you going or going solo?

Myself and Teepee from the start with a couple of others joining us for stretches further up. I've done day walks round Torridon and up past Ullapool but most of it will be new ground for me, really looking forward to it. The planning is a little trickier than the TGO as resupply options are fewer, I think it'll mean carrying a bit more food and fuel over greater distances with more remote camping and less FWAs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE