Testing my rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hadn't coarse finished in ages and the last time I wet the line was on a holiday in Zante (June). I snapped a few inches off the top of my travel rod, it's a brilliant rod I've had for years, a 4pc Odyssey 8ft travel spin, been all over the Med and it never let me down until I goofed.

The missus wanted to buy me a good one as she hates looking at men crying, I heated the top ring up and pulled the broken 3 1/2 inch piece of rod out, mixed a bit of Araldite, let it set then put three coats of Yacht varnish over it.
rodtip.jpg

Took it down to the canal near the city centre to test the strength when in the weed and stick-ups, delighted! came through with flying colours so threw a float on and a bit of bread, roach non stop, nothing humongous but loads of fish.

I took a pic of my last one as the colours were beautiful, loads of bronze on it but the pic doesn't do it justice, alas. :(
canalroach.jpg

Can't wait for our holiday in Salou next month, I'll be spending my time fishing while my wife, daughter and little horror spend their time in Port Aventura. It means a lot to me this rod, I have quite a few excellent rods but I treasure this one the most. :cool:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good work mate, sounds like the fix has worked a treat.

I've spent a few hours fishing in Salou with a local many moons ago, we just used flour mixed with water for bait. Not sure what we caught but they weren't very big, the old boy took half a carrier bag full home though so they must have been tasty.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Shewie, yer get a lot of bream in the Med (and mullet), yer know those small limpets yer see on the rocks? great bait, bread and limpets all day. First time for me in Salou but I've been on Goggle Earth since we booked it, some nice rock marks to fish eh?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Our lass used to work on a big campsite over a railway line somewhere, can't remember much of Salou now but it was a good (free) holiday for six weeks

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Opal :)

I've had to do this to too many rods now, its not funny anymore. I never found it make much difference to the action or casting, actually improved one :)

I just glue the tips on with superglue.

Tight lines.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Cheers, Teepee, I don't mind fixing anything to do with fishing, it's decorating I detest, fishing the Mersey on the other side (Harrison Drive, Wirral) in the seventies one sunday morning with my younger brother, we were in a gale and lashing down, I had caught a couple of nice codling but decided to jump into my van it was that bad. I opened the back door which usually locks and stays that way but the wind was so bad it blew the door shut as I entered with the rods still up.

it broke the top half of the two piece Daiwa beachcaster, I was gutted but when I returned home, I stripped the rings, cleaned the broken edges and araldited the bottom of the top piece (if yer know what I mean :)) and inserted it into the bottom half of the broken top piece :) stay with me now. :)

I used it for years off the rocks of Anglesey, really strong. I suppose this might come in handy for those who are thinking of dumping a broken rod.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't mind fixing anything to do with fishing, it's decorating I detest

Its a real shame there isn't a friendly professional decorator on this forum that could do it for you for a very reasonable rate ; wink wink, nudge nudge ;)

I'm with you on repairing, most things can be fixed quite well with a donor section of rod and some araldite. I'm stumped on a Barbel quiver rod though; its split at the internal ferrule when I didn't push the sections together properly at night and hooked a monster. Finally, a job for a rod repairer.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've broken a few rod tips as well. Most recently one of my favorites and one of my godson's rods. Fortunately I have a small kit with extra rod guide eyes and tips that are simply fitted with heat shrink sleeves. They're cheap enough (only about $2 for a set of 6 or so) but the unfortunate part is that out of the set, only 1 or 2 will be tips and I rarely if ever need the other guide eyes.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Its a real shame there isn't a friendly professional decorator on this forum that could do it for you for a very reasonable rate ; wink wink, nudge nudge ;)

I'm with you on repairing, most things can be fixed quite well with a donor section of rod and some araldite. I'm stumped on a Barbel quiver rod though; its split at the internal ferrule when I didn't push the sections together properly at night and hooked a monster. Finally, a job for a rod repairer.

Have yer got a pic? I'm thinking dowel.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'll post it up tomorow, no light for a snap. I have cut various sections of carbon but the conical shape on it is much less pronounced than any of the sections I have, its similar in profile to a cane rod. The carbon sections just won't snug in
I had dismissed a dowel, but now you mention it and I think about it again, a flexible dowel may be a good move.

In fact, as I write this, a piece of split cane 'poxied in is probably the answer. Cheers Opal :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE