Restoration/refurbishment of split cane rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
PXL_20230809_153538714.jpg
This was my grandfather's rod.
It holds a special place in my heart, it's practically a time machine as this is the rod he gave me to learn with, taught me where I was wrong and generally introduced me to coarse fishing.
I'd dearly love to take it out again and use it.

This said, it's old, some of the eyelets are loose, one of the ferrules comes off with the piece of the rod that has been put into it rather than remaining where it's meant to be.

It feels structurally sound but I am uncertain if this is just my lack of knowledge or genuine.

Has anyone restored one?
Or can recommend me a good but sensible budget level restorer?

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_153538714.jpg
    PXL_20230809_153538714.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 4

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I restored one of my fathers split cane rods quite a few years ago. I removed the eyes and used a cabinet scraper to remove the old coating. I didn't want to sand it as that may have rounded the angles slightly. I then re whipped the eyes and varnished it with a flexible varnish and fitted an old wooden reel to it also from my dad. We had it hung on the wall in our kitchen for years until we moved house.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE