testing a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Apart from doing all the usual (user type) things, splitting, carving spoons and feather sticks, casting sparks for fires, chopping wood and veggies ect does anybody have any specific tests they like to do on a new knife?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
hmmmm...

Thats a tough one. I think what you got there covers all the criteria you'd need...

Cheers...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No,if splitting includes battoning :)

There is an interesting thread on Knifeforums on just this subject :cool:

As an experienced user your tests will be of more interest to us punters than any fancy ideas thought up by the "what can we do to break it" set. The foregoing does not include manufactures own destruction tests but I assume that's not what you are asking about.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gary said:
Apart from doing all the usual (user type) things, splitting, carving spoons and feather sticks, casting sparks for fires, chopping wood and veggies ect does anybody have any specific tests they like to do on a new knife?

Drawing it from the sheath and putting it away again with one hand and without looking.

Dropping and catching it in mid-fall.

Dropping it in long grass, and seeing how easy it is to find again.

Keith.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Keith_Beef said:
Dropping and catching it in mid-fall.

Keith.

:eek: :eek: I hope you were joking.

I would NEVER try to catch a falling blade of any kind,even if it was new out of the box,I had just sold one of the children to buy it and I was 12 feet up over concrete.
There are young people using this forum and we don't want to give them any silly ideas :rolleyes:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
BorderReiver said:
:eek: :eek: I hope you were joking.

I would NEVER try to catch a falling blade of any kind,even if it was new out of the box,I had just sold one of the children to buy it and I was 12 feet up over concrete.
There are young people using this forum and we don't want to give them any silly ideas :rolleyes:

No, I wasn't joking.

I don't catch the blade, I catch the handle... there's a difference.

I almost wrote "juggling with it" but I'm afraid I'm all fingers and thumbs when it comes to juggling (and I'd rather keep all my fingers and thumbs)

Doing this gives me a feel for the weight and balance. I also throw it from left hand to right hand, and back again, without looking.

I hasten to add that when I do this, I am wearing either my steel toe-capped boots or my clogs. Both are tough enough that I've had heavy logs fall on them when splitting firewood without problems.

Keith.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Still doesn't sound like a great idea to me and im a juggler!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Keith_Beef said:
No, I wasn't joking.

I don't catch the blade, I catch the handle... there's a difference.

Keith.

BUT,when catching by reflex it is not always certain that you will grab the handle.

You are talking about a controled situation and you are intending to drop and catch.This is not what happens in the field.

I find it much safer to try to condition myself to "let it drop" when handling very sharp sharps,and move the lower legs and feet out of the way.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Im typing this with my nose after trying to catch the knife in mid-air...............

Seriously though splitting does include battoning - battoning the blade, tip and near the handle. Battoning the handle itself and battoning the butt of the handle to drive the tip into a beeck and split a willow wand.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Gary,

How about the classic Kochanski test, 4cm into a tree then stand on it?
Also edge retention is quite important to me. I quite like the feel of my Helle, but the edge seems to dull much quicker than my Woodlore.

Good luck with it!

Dave

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayland said:
When learning the skills of a blacksmith, one of the first things that is drilled into a new student is if you fumble, "let it drop".

This is because it may be hot but I think the same rule could apply here.

Well said mate - we teach similar in bushcraft - always error on the side of safety. There are no hero's only dead fools!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MartiniDave said:
Gary,

How about the classic Kochanski test, 4cm into a tree then stand on it?
Also edge retention is quite important to me. I quite like the feel of my Helle, but the edge seems to dull much quicker than my Woodlore.

Good luck with it!

Dave

MD I did the mhammering into a tree bit - and it took my weight easily (mind you I did it with the blade verticle so I stood on the spine - but it was ok (bugger to get out after mind you)

As I say edge has been brilliant through out so no contest there.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Gary said:

As I do most of my wood work with an axe I think I would be mostly interested to see how a Knife works doing all the skinning jobs and butchering. How its laying in the hand when the hands are full with blood and guts. How safe it is not to cut the stomach of the animal while removing the innerparts of the animal. In my opinion most knifes are too long and hard to handle while gutting. I dont know much about knifes and bought a Mora type of knife but it sucks. As I said before I use for all the wood works a GB axe and skinning I do with a folding knife.
I still have to find a good situation to use a bigger Knife.

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Abbe Osram said:
As I do most of my wood work with an axe I think I would be mostly interested to see how a Knife works doing all the skinning jobs and butchering. How its laying in the hand when the hands are full with blood and guts. How safe it is not to cut the stomach of the animal while removing the innerparts of the animal. In my opinion most knifes are too long and hard to handle while gutting. I dont know much about knifes and bought a Mora type of knife but it sucks. As I said before I use for all the wood works a GB axe and skinning I do with a folding knife.
I still have to find a good situation to use a bigger Knife.

cheers
Abbe

Interesting Abbe - I have used the knife to butcher a chicken for a curry and a trout (already gutted) for a lunch and it worked fine - blade is 100mm which should be ok. What knife do you use if your Mora sucks?

And yes I'd normally use an axe for wood chopping ect but I wanted to see what the knife could do!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep the food prep idea is a good one. I sure you have thought of it but salt water fish and coastal enviornment.

I live beside the sea and most of the bushcraft I do outside of the back garden is done along the shore line. I haven't used my carbon mora there yet but I have used my helle with no ill effects. My brother on the other hand found the carbon mora un usable after a day full on fishing, gut and lots of salt water.

I'd also still like to see it Gary if possible?

James

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Gary said:
Interesting Abbe - I have used the knife to butcher a chicken for a curry and a trout (already gutted) for a lunch and it worked fine - blade is 100mm which should be ok. What knife do you use if your Mora sucks?

And yes I'd normally use an axe for wood chopping ect but I wanted to see what the knife could do!

As I said I dont know much about knifes so I bought something.
I guess you will laugh at me but here it comes.
knife_abbe.jpg
:eek:

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jamesdevine said:
Yep the food prep idea is a good one. I sure you have thought of it but salt water fish and coastal enviornment.

I live beside the sea and most of the bushcraft I do outside of the back garden is done along the shore line. I haven't used my carbon mora there yet but I have used my helle with no ill effects. My brother on the other hand found the carbon mora un usable after a day full on fishing, gut and lots of salt water.

I'd also still like to see it Gary if possible?

James

Coastal is hard on Carbon steel James - high carbon might help but there you can only oil it and keep it clean as best you can.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Abbe Osram said:
As I said I dont know much about knifes so I bought something.
I guess you will laugh at me but here it comes.
knife_abbe.jpg
:eek:

cheers
Abbe

A Puukko style - dont know the make though. Maybe you should try a Mora clipper Abbe I think you'd be surprised mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE