Tentsmuir Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 4, 2005
its cool!

it is mostly pine but there is some nice deciduos trees inland
the beach is really nice , especially when the tide is out.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's very big, and has attractive stands of Corsican pine (Scots pine would be nicer but I've noticed the FC often planted Corsican on coastal sites).

Might be a good place for a small group 'wild camping' under the new access legislation. Car park closed at night I think, so a walk-in might be needed.

Although normally ok to light a fire on the foreshore, it might be subject to byelaws. Certainly the Eden Estuary is a local nature reserve and fires not allowed.

I wildfowl on the Eden and it is possible to shoot the north shore from Tentsmuir. Closing dates for (free) permits is end of the month.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Tentsmuir is a great place for a walk or a camp, as the site is a FC site I think that it would come under the plantation classification of the access code so no fires would be allowed.
~However it is a large area of woodland and has some remote areas that not many people go to....

Cheers

JFW

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thanks for all the info :) . Think I might go and do a recce this weekend. With forest and shore line it sounds like it might be good for foraging!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
A great place, with a great atmosphere and if you go to St Andrews, one of the best ice-cream shops I’ve ever been in! (or at least it used to be)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i live within walking distance of tentsmuir. in fact i spent part of the weekend there testing out my new hammok (£6 from a discount shop in belgium)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've spent some time in Tentsmuir - a friend of a friend of a friend owns an old MOD coastal watchtower which makes a fantastic bothy.

Definitely no fires though - the rangers are VERY strict on that one (its basically a huge dry pine forest, and fires would spread like wildfire (apologies for the pun!).

In Autumn its also the one place I know near me that has chantarelles, but seing as more and more people pick them every year I'm afraid I'm not giving away my choice locations :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Also go there quite regularly, very good mix of habitats and great for butterflies/dragonflies and birds if that's your thing esp. round the Morton Lochs area. The seals can be quite tame - they will come up to you if you sing to them! Oh, and part of the north shore is a designated nudist beach if you fancy really getting back to basics!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE