Tenth Wonder (lack) of attention to detail.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2014
Marlow
After spending a while choosing a hammock, I went for a TW black hornet.
I plan on doing a proper review to help other potential buyer, as also have a DD travel arriving tomorrow, but as someone who has worked for several companies, and run my own, i'm a bit disapointed with the 1st impression.

On opening the bags, the hammock and tarp are wrapped in bungee- nothing wrong with that, but really, at least use a hot knife / rope cutter:

The 'pegs' are badly carved sticks. I'm all for using natural products, but i'm sure for the price a couple of nice pegs could have been included. Plus, I now have to buy some as cannot take wood products into Oz.

Off to check the full hammock now, and think I will drop Neil an email later.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
You really should have contacted the supplier first. I have never seen pegs like these supplied with a new product though

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You really should have contacted the supplier first. I have never seen pegs like these supplied with a new product though

I had exactly the same style bamboo pegs supplied with the tarp I bought from them 3 or 4 years ago. Looks like they're still supplying them.

I don't know where they are now because I've never used them as they wouldn't have been much use on a 4.5x4.5 mtr tarp :rolleyes:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've purchased a few things from TW and never had a problem - Don't think I got wooden pegs but I can't say it'd bother me really - they may even be lighter weight? Metal and Plastic tent pegs are ten a penny so I wouldn't have thought he's done it to save money? The metal pegs I got with my DD tarp weren't much use either - very skinny and small.

Odd - but I wouldn't let it put me off, how is the main product? How was the delivery time, value for money etc.?

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am of the same feeling about contacting the supplier first before jumping on a forum, I take it from the fact you may ring Neil later says you have not and given them the chance to reply, as you say you run your own business, and I would of thougth you would like a dissatisfied customer to give you a ring frist.

I know a few people that have TW goods and all seem please with teh product and service from the company.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I bought my Green Hornet hammock back in 2009, it has been a great bit of kit. Absolutely no issues with quality since, also came with a very handy 10ltr drysack as a free gift.

Jan 24, 2014
Marlow
Have emailed him, and he was fast to reply.

He said he will send replacement pegs, and that all the elastics are hand made, and cut and sealed, so waiting to see the reason why 4 of mine are not.

Jan 24, 2014
Marlow
I've purchased a few things from TW and never had a problem - Don't think I got wooden pegs but I can't say it'd bother me really - they may even be lighter weight? Metal and Plastic tent pegs are ten a penny so I wouldn't have thought he's done it to save money? The metal pegs I got with my DD tarp weren't much use either - very skinny and small.

Odd - but I wouldn't let it put me off, how is the main product? How was the delivery time, value for money etc.?

Didnt mean it as a slate- was just sharing opionion as was a bit disapointed having spent hard earnt cash.

Hammock is, as people said- and the reason I bought it, very nice.
Poles let it down slightly, different lengths, not cut straight, and sharp edge on one, but I can fix these (just prefer a product that works out of the box).

Delivery was fine, 3 days.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Honest report on a package received. The supplier isn't owed anything by the customer if his goods or packaging do not please.

Jethro924

Oct 13, 2013
United Kingdom
I have nothing but praise for Tenth Wonder. I was bought a TW Bivi Hammock for my birthday, since then I have bought three tarps from him (ultralight, saragossa and cornelius in various sizes), my brother, brother in law and nephew have subsequently had hammocks off them. Delivery time has been excellent (nearly always next working day), Neil even threw in extra rope and a free camo pouch for my 9 year old nephew to help him on his way. On my last order he threw in a free dry bag. I contacted him to explain that there was a dry bag in my parcel that hadn't been ordered or paid for, he replied that they like to throw in something extra for repeat business customers!

I have had the wood pegs with my first tarp (ultralight 3.5mx1.5m), my next (cornelius 4mx3m) came with hi viz plastic pegs. I use the wood for spares as I use ti pegs with the ultralight tarp. I contacted Neil before ordering the sargossa (4x2.25m) and asked him to supply plastic pegs which he duly did.

He replied

"That's funny you should mention pegs. We were thrashing it out this week. The yellow ones are suddenly hard to get. People actually used to mail us about the bamboo, saying how cool it was. Nothing will ever please everyone though, that's impossible (unless we give away pure silver ones). If we offer a choice with tarps it'll do our heads in so if we keep changing, at least we please everyone at some point.
Yellow's good for not tripping over though."

As Neil says, he can't possible please all the people all the time. All my experience with the company has been positive and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Good kit at a good price, well made in my experience, I'm sure Neil will resolve your issue for you

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I purchased a tarp from them some time ago and got the wooden pegs... I can't remember now what I used them for but at the time I didn't use pegs with my tarp as the woods I had use of had many many trees.

As I had just ordered a tarp, I had no expectation of even getting pegs.

Don't take this badly, forums aren't good at making posts sound cheerful or polite but this is.

chrism83 what pegs were you expecting? Don't get me wrong, the TW tarp I ordered was nice but it is certainly at the budget end of the kit spectrum, I have a lovely warbonnet tarp that didn't come with cord or pegs and cost four times as much as my old TW tarp :p

If I was TW, to keep things inexpensive I'd focus more on the tarp and less on the pegs to be honest and that may be what you are seeing here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE