Tent advise, newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 8, 2013
Dorset
Hello,

I'm yet to introduce myself here, but I'm just 14 and would love to get my family back into camping, I know this isn't your exact field but thought you may be able to help? :eek:

In total we are a family of 6 and after me longing and nagging to camping as a family they have agreed to have a short trial trip, on the condition that I organise everything, so I'm looking for quite a big tent, I had originally thought that a 5m bell tent would be perfect, my sister went "glamping" in one and it was thus approved by the rest of my sisters I then swayed towards the army ones as my dad had stayed in them back in his army days and liked them, I was then told however that this was just not big enough? we would not be backpacking off into the wilderness so weight isn't an issue, on that any recommendations on campsites, relaxed places open to campfires, around the dorset coast, just open fields with showers is good for us? So I hope you guys don't mind, as I said I know this isn't your field but I'm desperate, I want to go camping! :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to BcUK.

Seriously, if this isn't perhaps going to be a tent that will get much use, then one of the multi room 'family' tents from Tesco would probably do fine for a first outing.
They'll be on sale soon too and won't break the bank. Best bit is that your sisters and parents can have space to themselves :)

cheers,
Toddy

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
We have a 4 man pop up for family camping - u could easily sleep another 2 in the living area. Easy to put up / away and look quite good in green. Got ours from decathlon. Hope the family come round, have fun

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes, just get one or two cheap tents and go on a few trips to make sure the family enjoy camping before spending a lot on a tent that may only be used once or twice.

Aug 8, 2013
Dorset
Thanks for the information, we have been camping before, and all really enjoyed it it has always however been the tent that let's us down, we currently have a 8 man vango tent but I think all in all we want to buy a proper Sturdy tent, which is why I inquired into canvas? Thanks guys

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have the 5 meter belltent and 6 people might be a squeeze plus the cost of them is pretty huge.
With that many bods ans being unsure if everyone likes it or not I would go for the type rick suggests. Often see them in loot, gumtree, eBay pickup. Often seen little or no use and providing you can see it up and check for problems you will get a bargain. Just remember to shell out for something comfy for all to sleep on/in as a bad nights sleep will be a big off putting factor.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

It might be worth looking at two or even three smaller tents. They can be picked up very cheaply, sometimes for only five to ten pounds if you shop around. With smaller tents you have the option of fewer people going on a trip, say if you find that some of you love it and some don't. Smaller tents can be more robust in wind. If you're on camp sites it might be priced per person, or per tent, or a mix of charges -- so if you go that way it might be an issue depending on the site.

Cheap tents tend to suffer from condensation, most noticeably I ffind first thing in the morning but if your sleeping kit touches the tent you might notice it wicking into the fabric. I find a couple of face flannels to mop up most of it copes with the collected moisture quite well and cost next to nothing. Even inside a tent I use a breathable bivvy bag to keep my sleeping bag's shell dry, I find it very much more comfortable but this might be an expensive arrangement for you all to start with.

Also think about a tarp or similar for a little sheltered living space if it's wet. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive and makes a huge improvement to camp habitability. I'm not a great lover of camp furniture, but if, er, members of the family might have difficulty sitting on the ground then folding chairs might be useful. A cheap tarp to put on the ground will be useful for mealtimes and generally lounging around if that's your thing.

You write very well for a 14 year old. :)

Aug 8, 2013
Dorset
Hello,

Thank you for all this information, I think I will do as you suggest, we do currently have a 8 man vango tent so I think we will take a short trial trip in it as you all guys suggest, thanks, I'll also look into getting a tarp, cheers ged! I asked as I didn't want to have another disaster trip when the weather turns our tent gets flooded and trashed and we have to go home early, instead we could all be happily safe in our bell tent with a little stove maybe? I went into bell tents as we have a friend who was going to hire them but sadly for her it didn't work out but it did mean she had some almost brand new bell tents going cheap! :) as I said thank you for this information!

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
If you're set on getting a belltent I have a 5m one and I'd say you could fit 6 people in fine. I can fit 4 double blow up beds in mine but then there's no room for bags/kit etc. a tarp with 4 poles is a good addition to have an area under cover outside as well incase the weather turns. Hope you all have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aug 8, 2013
Dorset
Maybe get two? a 5m and a 4m or would this be overkill? I don't think space is to bigger issue us we would have to go in two cars one of them being a pickup with the option of a trailer. But I suppose this could be an issue with campsites with pricing done on tent pitchings?

Jul 25, 2013
UK & Kenya
We have a 4 man pop up for family camping - u could easily sleep another 2 in the living area. Easy to put up / away and look quite good in green. Got ours from decathlon. Hope the family come round, have fun

Hi,
I was looking at that same tent (Quechua brand?) for some light car camping - no need to carry it, generally sunny weather, 2 adults and 2 small kids. How do you like it? Which model do you have? I've seen it's super-easy to put up, but how about taking down? Thanks for your help...

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Sorry for delayed reply - yes its the quechua, base seconds 4

It has been great for us - loads of room for 4 people and feels gets a great airing with the back zipped open (top half unzips leaving mesh cover).

Whatever u do, watch the youtube vid a few times before 1st using it, the instructions can b helpful but only if you can visualise it. We've never had any problems, its now 2nd nature. Hope this helps

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
We had an 8-man Vango tent giant tunnel tent for years when the children were small. It handled some pretty grotty weather with ease although anything that big is not going to be up to a storm. As the previous poster says, maybe it was in the pitching? Any replacement large size hoop/ bendy pole tent you get will be similar to the Vango.

To get yourself a very stable large tent in canvas is going to be £££

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE